Question Wondered if any of the old gang was still here...

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
I was very active on Team AnandTech when SETI 1 was going on. Since them I've retired and moved with my wife to an Active Adult Community south of Atlanta. We travel a lot. This year alone we have visited Italy, Greece, Croatia, Montenegro, Austria, Germany Denmark, Russia, Finland, and Sweden. I'll be 74 next month and I'm in relatively good health. You might get a kick out of seeing some of my herd when I was doing SETI.

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg

When I started it was in the days of the Celeron 300 that O/Ced nicely to 450.

John

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
Nice, I remember doing some SETI Folding and RC5 for Team Anandtech back in the day. My first overclock was also the Celeron 300A with changing the FSB jumper from 66 to 100 mhz.

Reactions: JWMiddleton

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I remember the Celeron A. I had one that ran at 450Mhz. Those days were fun to be honest. Each new generation brought with it a jump in performance. I dont keep up with this stuff much anymore because of work. But also because the i7700k I built 3 years ago still plays every game thrown at it.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
The Celeron A 300 to 450 was a crowd favorite. I remember the 333 because of a weird bus config and multiplier not working very well at 100MHz FSB. I ended up doing a Celeron 366 to 550. From what I remember there were batch numbers you had to watch for, my retail 366 was a champ, but tray CPU's were pretty hit and miss.

It was kind of funny though my dad purchased a pre-overclocked Slot 1 300A. With a Peltier cooler bonded to it for his primary computer. Here I was taking my summer job money 3 months later and buying a $80 CPU and a 20 cooler and getting an extra 100 MHz on him. First computer I ever built and did it specifically because I wasn't allowed to touch his computer. Now its my life.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
I remember the Celeron A. I had one that ran at 450Mhz. Those days were fun to be honest. Each new generation brought with it a jump in performance. I dont keep up with this stuff much anymore because of work. But also because the i7700k I built 3 years ago still plays every game thrown at it.

LOL...I've got ya beat with an older CPU. I'm running an i7-4790k at stock speed. It runs like a champ! Nov 2015, I built the system and the chip was already a few generations out of date, but I'm very happy with it still. Like you mentioned the speed bumps are slow to come. I put in a GeForce GTX 950 OC, then added a 2nd one a about a year later just to see how SLI worked. I used a 120GB SSD when I built the system and upgraded that to 500GB two years later. I took the 120GB and put it in a 9 year old Toshiba lappy and it made all the difference! Gotta love those SSDs!

John

PS. I just noticed my SIG, it has the system I built before the i7. Guess I need to change that. :)

Feb 4, 2009
LOL...I've got ya beat with an older CPU. I'm running an i7-4790k at stock speed. It runs like a champ! Nov 2015, I built the system and the chip was already a few generations out of date, but I'm very happy with it still. Like you mentioned the speed bumps are slow to come. I put in a GeForce GTX 950 OC, then added a 2nd one a about a year later just to see how SLI worked. I used a 120GB SSD when I built the system and upgraded that to 500GB two years later. I took the 120GB and put it in a 9 year old Toshiba lappy and it made all the difference! Gotta love those SSDs!

John

Honestly after I added an ssd to my old core2quad system it games pretty well.
I just retired the system in October.
Admittedly I’m very forgiving about game performance but pretty amazing I could still game with a 10 year old machine.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
The Celeron A 300 to 450 was a crowd favorite. I remember the 333 because of a weird bus config and multiplier not working very well at 100MHz FSB. I ended up doing a Celeron 366 to 550. From what I remember there were batch numbers you had to watch for, my retail 366 was a champ, but tray CPU's were pretty hit and miss.

I think the cpu's that were made in Malay and not Costa Rica had a much better probability of overclocking. I had a 300A or 333 CR one and it didn't overclock so I just left it at stock.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I think the cpu's that were made in Malay and not Costa Rica had a much better probability of overclocking. I had a 300A or 333 CR one and it didn't overclock so I just left it at stock.
I thought it was the other way around. But I might be thinking of Coppermine. I know it was because of those dramatic differences that Intel implemented some policy that basically controlled technology implementation and control procedures so that every fab and factory had exactly the same results (good or bad).

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I thought it was the other way around. But I might be thinking of Coppermine. I know it was because of those dramatic differences that Intel implemented some policy that basically controlled technology implementation and control procedures so that every fab and factory had exactly the same results (good or bad).
If we are referring to the PII based celeron, I'm almost certain because its was one of the last Intel builds I did until Core based Nehelem/Sandy Bridges.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Just did a quick and dirty search and looks like you were right Malaysian Celeron A's were the better ones. I think it was the Coppermine PIII's from Costa Rica units that reversed the situation.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I was very active on Team AnandTech when SETI 1 was going on. Since them I've retired and moved with my wife to an Active Adult Community south of Atlanta. We travel a lot. This year alone we have visited Italy, Greece, Croatia, Montenegro, Austria, Germany Denmark, Russia, Finland, and Sweden. I'll be 74 next month and I'm in relatively good health. You might get a kick out of seeing some of my herd when I was doing SETI.

When I started it was in the days of the Celeron 300 that O/Ced nicely to 450.

John

I am still here, just not nearly as chatty.

hey oldtimers