Wonder Woman

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Ok seriously, i was as well perplexed at Gal being cast as WW.
She is absolutely very good looking, no doubt, but before WW she had a part in F&F and thats it. Now it's not impossible for hollywood to bust out a miracle-child, someone who is so uber-talented that they are immediately put in a star role, regardless of their experience.
Me, i would have imagined that casting would have gone with someone less sexy, more mom. Think about it, the vast majority of Wonder Woman fans dont come from comic books, but from the TV show; lynda carter. Wholesome mom-style heroine who parries bullets and makes you tell the truth. NOT a dominating (or possibly even anti-patriarchal) figure.
And instead they went with an action hero, terribly similar to Rey in SW.

As for the "jewishness" comment .. it could be?
Unless HE'S LYING, he says insiders have specifically told him so. We *do* live in a time where over-representation of minorities is a thing (not a BAD thing, but imho a bit of a silly thing), so here my attitude is going to be "uh .. maybe yes?".

Dont get me wrong, there's plenty of evidence AGAINST what he says. Gal Gadot was frikkin Miss Israel, obviously some producer saw her on TV and thought "we gotta get that piece of ass on tee-vee, pronto", so the man could easily be wrong with that "chosen because jewishness" thing. But It's not like he busted out swastikas and photos of hitler, come on.

Regarding his thing where he accuses perk of snorting ... whatsitcalled .. perc ? Drugs. Meh, i think he was just being offended. I wouldnt ban someone for that, but that's just me. It' hyperbole, thats what it is.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
"I personally profited off the Jews by working on huge $$$$$$$$ corporate deals with the Jews in Jew-land--which PROVES I am not an anti-semite!"

Holy crap, what a maroon.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
As for the "jewishness" comment .. it could be?
Unless HE'S LYING, he says insiders have specifically told him so. We *do* live in a time where over-representation of minorities is a thing (not a BAD thing, but imho a bit of a silly thing), so here my attitude is going to be "uh .. maybe yes?".

ringtail said:
Choice of lead actress must have been political or about the predominately Jewish Hollyweird culture and Jew’s fealty to Israel, or something like that

ringtail said:
but popsicle-stick Gal Gadot got in there for simple sake of her Jewishness. The Hollyweird producers channelled the mony and fame to their home cause - Israel.

ringtail said:
It's true that I don't think the silly, virtually unproven fashion model chic in a padded-out suit in that movie did as good a job as the thoroughly--proven and vastly more beautiful actress, with a real figure, Bridget Regan, could have done. It's true that I believe the Israeli chic got her role because of Jewish affiliation. The reason for thinking so is that my daughter is a nearly-top-level movie producer close to it (works w/ Julia Roberts, Bradley Cooper, lots more at that echelon) told me so. In Hollyweird it's a known fact. Maybe not known where you may be. Has absolutely NOTHING to do with anti-Semitiism...based on frankly unfair bias by Jewish producers trying to throw $ to Israel...to me that's a true FACT. Absolutely nothing anti-Semite about it.

Try reading what ringtail wrote. To me this has the stereotypical elaborations of a bad liar written all over it. That's just aside from my belief that any sensible person who has people-connections to vaguely sensitive information would either be very careful whom they talk to about it or risk the careers of those connected people and their own friendships. Can you imagine blasting out sensitive information to do with your daughter's job on an Internet forum, naming names in the process? I'm pretty damn sure that if my wife thought I would tell tales from her workplace on the Internet (especially naming names!), she wouldn't tell me a damn thing.

Reactions: DigDog

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Well you do have a point there, i also thought that telling random strangers things your daughter told you in confidence is not a wise thing to do.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Weird discussion. Wonder Woman is an Amazonian, which were from somewhere in Turkey or Libya, so ethnically casting an Israeli makes some sense.

Feb 25, 2011
Ok seriously, i was as well perplexed at Gal being cast as WW.
She is absolutely very good looking, no doubt, but before WW she had a part in F&F and thats it. Now it's not impossible for hollywood to bust out a miracle-child, someone who is so uber-talented that they are immediately put in a star role, regardless of their experience.

Read her IMDB page.

Me, i would have imagined that casting would have gone with someone less sexy, more mom. Think about it, the vast majority of Wonder Woman fans dont come from comic books, but from the TV show; lynda carter. Wholesome mom-style heroine who parries bullets and makes you tell the truth. NOT a dominating (or possibly even anti-patriarchal) figure.
And instead they went with an action hero, terribly similar to Rey in SW.

Hollywood? Going the "less sexy" route? What are you smoking and can I have some?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Read her IMDB page.

Hollywood? Going the "less sexy" route? What are you smoking and can I have some?
Wasnt WW meant to be a symbol, a torchbearer for modern feminism? Empowering women to aspire to be more than just a sex symbol?
Let's do that by picking the most athletic young beautiful woman we can find, mmk.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Wasnt WW meant to be a symbol, a torchbearer for modern feminism? Empowering women to aspire to be more than just a sex symbol?

Right, right, sure. Absolutely. The costume was intended to empower women because of course a woman who wants to be taken seriously for her skills fights crime in a bustier and a miniskirt. WTF do you think was the target audience for Wonder Woman? Girls? Seriously?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Well apparently yes. All the "middle" media - vogue, gq, the huff, verge, you know, that media that talks a lot but has nothing to say, were painting the new WW as a symbol of success for the new feminist campaign of "more women in everything", with headlines like "Wonder Woman, finally a female superhero that shows what women really can do" which, turns out, is be half naked and fall in love with chris pine. So not much different.

I used to watch the tv show, btw. Lynda carter was ... just so much better.