Women's march cancelled for being "too white."

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
First, the Civil Right Act.
While widely adopted by both parties, notice the regional divide.

Then, the Republican response by adopting the Southern_strategy.
Apparently becoming the party of the South did no one any favors with minorities.

Good examples but are positions from the 50s still relevant today? Maybe so I dunno, it could be the stigma still haven’t worn off. It could be that the GOP hasn’t done enough to atone.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I'll rate that as most likely bullshit of the distractional kind.

Power dynamics DO change when working or living in a city, or other locale, that is minority-majority.

And if you intend to divert and dismiss racism and hatred towards one group... then you are not only alienating many people, but you betray the dream. Dr. King did not speak of a nation for select people, but of a nation for ALL people. When it comes to racism and hated you either stamp it ALL out, you actually believe in equal treatment, you stand for MLK Jr's dream... or you do not.

This notion that racism is a one way street is a virulent toxicity. It is the embodiment of vengeance, and a road you do not want to cross. I implore Democrats to distance themselves from it quickly, before the underlying psychology sets in. You thought the rust belt and other ruined sections of America felt abandoned before? Try telling them you literally endorse racism against them. They'll stop using words real fast.

You make it damn clear that you don't. Or you've already made it clear that you do. This wounded nation has enough grievances to work through, it doesn't need new ones piled up on top. Any person who is going to lead this nation beyond its damages, will have to do so by uniting enough of us. By telling us that they stand for ALL Americans. That they are living the Dream, and that we can all join them together.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
...discrimination? Yeah, sure. That very well may happen or has happened.
But that's not racism. Racism requires power of one group over another.

Well, at least this explains the crux of our misunderstanding, disagreement even. You are pursuing what you think is some textbook definition no one understands. I am sorry to be so dismissive with what you are telling me, but this lesson has been beat into us our entire lives.
  • Discrimination IS Racism. Full stop.
  • Not pursuing equality is racism, do you deny that?
  • Hell, describing racial things the wrong way is racism.
There was quite a stern response when I once used African instead of African-American. I mean, white people are all European ancestry. Take a wild guess where Asians are from. But try that standard use for Africa? Holy hell if it wasn't bloody murder for that one.

But do you know how we apply those lessons? Via equality. Something that is wrong... is wrong for everyone. That is how we unite as one people, by all living under the same standards, the same rules. By treating each other fairly. By pursuing equality. That is our moral compass. And moving off that compass is racism.

Heck, how would you describe collective guilt and punishment regarding terrorism and Muslims? Discrimination of some sort. It's just as vile as racism, is it not? I see such discrimination treated just as harshly, and I have come to judge it as such. So what practical purpose does your restrictive definition of racism serve? This notion that discrimination and racism are somehow separable is foreign.

And the consequences of treating them as separable, to people who've never heard of that, and never agreed to that... is basically telling them that discrimination... harming them is somehow... permissible? Or not as bad? This circumstance conjures one hell of an "other" identity between you and whoever is hearing it. Moreover, it creates a sense of injustice... of evil intent. The same one our moral compass is built to guard against.

I am willing to hear you out if there is some explanation behind your concept. However...

No one is going to have the patience for that when it comes to public policy, and public debate. We need to signal to people that we are FOR them. That we will help them. The rust belt and other trickle down victims are not going to wait for an education. That could take generations. We need their votes now, and if we have to simplify things to meet their understanding... to balm wounded perceptions that Democrats are neglecting or attacking them... Then I believe Dr. King had the correct message all along. And that is something we should stand by on the subject of race in America.

E Pluribus Unum, the True American Dream.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
That makes it ok to boil them down to their skin color? Talk bad about them because of their skin color? Do things that negatively effect them because of their skin color?

This is one of the stances posted on here earlier trying to justify something wrong because other people do more wrong stuff

Yes I think and always will hold the position that no one should be judged by he color of their skin. It’s become far too common place and things like this have basically become acceptable, that’s not ok:

jp272mvc0pd11.jpg

Glad you bought that up. That whole row demonstrated the problem with thin-skinned white people, the same problem you keep illustrating.

Why are you so insecure about this stuff? I just don't get it.

I admit, some of Jeong's tweets made me frown very slightly. What is the name of the facial expression that stuff induces in me? It's kind of like the expression you make when a friend makes a joke about some trait or action of yours you are slightly embarrassed about, but you really wish you could just change the subject now?

It's not like those sorts of remarks have no effect at all, but it's hardly a devastating hurt. How many times does it need to be pointed out that the situation is no way symmetrical. You can't just swap 'white' for 'black' in those remarks, it doesn't work like that.

But so many white Americans seemed to get ridiculously worked up about those tweets. I couldn't tell if it was completely faked for political purposes or if the anger was real but still absurd.

It was also clear that many of her tweets were just parody responses to racist comments by white people like Andrew Sullivan.

It also illustrated a lot of other issues, in my opinion. Such as they way Twitter leads to different communities speaking in different contexts where words have slightly different meanings ('white' is not just a skin tone, it's a whole system, a history and an ideology), clashing because their frames-of-reference are just so different. Another reason to avoid Twitter. It's absolutely encourages things being interpreted out of context.

It also, to me, bought up the way class issues get morphed into racial ones in the US. The one single thing that did bug me about a few of her tweets was that they seemed to assume all 'white people' were upper-middle-class white people (like those she knows?), and maybe _some_ of the hurt was actually more about class, but people didn't even realise it themselves.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
There was quite a stern response when I once used African instead of African-American. I mean, white people are all European ancestry. Take a wild guess where Asians are from. But try that standard use for Africa? Holy hell if it wasn't bloody murder for that one.

But 'African' is an entirely different thing from 'African-American'. And while it might just have been a slip-of-the-tongue with no malicious intent, the unfortunate implication is that African-Americans are foreigners and not real Americans. It doesn't have the same sensitivity for 'European-Americans', because they have never been portrayed as marginal and not real Americans.

Of course it also happens the other way, as with the story of that US student starting a question to Nelson Mandela with 'as an African-American, do you...'.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The other thing about the Jeong affair, was that I thought this article genuinly had a point, even if it's from someone I suspect may be a long way to the right of me, and the publications he writes for are probably not my usual cup-of-tea.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/08/the-utility-of-white-bashing/566846/

It's perfectly possible for that article to have some truth in it even while the outrage at Jeong's tweets remains ridiculous.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Good examples but are positions from the 50s still relevant today? Maybe so I dunno, it could be the stigma still haven’t worn off. It could be that the GOP hasn’t done enough to atone.
50s?? Republican voter supression of minorities is 2019 and has been going on for at least 15 years.

Taking a meat axe to the Voting Rights Act occurred in 2013 perpetrated by Republicans in the Shelby case.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
50s?? Republican voter supression of minorities is 2019 and has been going on for at least 15 years.

Taking a meat axe to the Voting Rights Act occurred in 2013 perpetrated by Republicans in the Shelby case.

Yeah, federal judges are finding that Republicans are targeting black voters for suppression ‘with almost surgical precision’ TODAY, not at some nebulous time 70 years ago.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
But 'African' is an entirely different thing from 'African-American'. And while it might just have been a slip-of-the-tongue with no malicious intent, the unfortunate implication is that African-Americans are foreigners and not real Americans. It doesn't have the same sensitivity for 'European-Americans', because they have never been portrayed as marginal and not real Americans.

Of course it also happens the other way, as with the story of that US student starting a question to Nelson Mandela with 'as an African-American, do you...'.

My girlfriend would get a kick out of that Mandela response as an actual South African (British South African, but still!). Clearly the product of innocence/lack of education, but c'mon! :p

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Can it really be true that GOP marketing and messaging strategy is really so simple and brainless as:

"Uh, guys, we really need to work on all of the racists that hang our in our party and also, this image that we are just a bunch of racists."
"How about we just keep accusing the other people of being the real racists?"
"Yeah! brilliant! .....but what about the part about dealing with the actual racists that find a comfortable home in our party?
"Huh?"
"What?"
"No, what did you ask?"
"Don't know, I forgot....so let's get on that plan, OK?"

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Racist CNN radio personality immediately attacks someone for having white privilege and is quickly taught a tough lesson

He makes a great point, why did you even go there? She was wrong about who this person is and immediately made gross assumptions about him, his career, everything he’s worked for and dismissed it as a skin color advantage. She boiled him down to skin color (swung and missed too) thus she is a racist. Yes the left needs to take a hard look at itself in the mirror.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Racist CNN radio personality immediately attacks someone for having white privilege and is quickly taught a tough lesson

He makes a great point, why did you even go there? She was wrong about who this person is and immediately made gross assumptions about him, his career, everything he’s worked for and dismissed it as a skin color advantage. She boiled him down to skin color (swung and missed too) thus she is a racist. Yes the left needs to take a hard look at itself in the mirror.

If the standard for a side of the political spectrum needed to ‘take a long hard look at itself’ is a network commentator saying something stupid then conservatives might as well just surrender now.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Right because you’re being honest about what I actually said. Why did she attack him for supposed priveledge? Dismissing what he’s done and accomplished in life to nothing more than skin color.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Right because you’re being honest about what I actually said. Why did she attack him for supposed priveledge? Dismissing what he’s done and accomplished in life to nothing more than skin color.

Because she’s a TV commentator and she said something stupid. I’ve never even heard of her in my whole life. Again, if your standard is that one half of the political spectrum should be forced to account for dumb things commentators say on TV conservatives will be buried by this.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

If you think people from Europe have not been see as non Americans, then you know nothing of American history.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Did you just contradict yourself almost in the same sentence?

Is this satire or something?

"left is plainly anti-white today, racist. And when it comes to minorities, the left keeps their boot firmly on their the throats of those minorities."

Until you and other useful idiots of the Progressheviks understand how little they actually care for minorities, the Left will continue to promote and encourage the exploitation of minorities in their quest to fundamentally alter America into a modern day plantation. Everyone will be dependent on the Liberal masters for granting them food, shelter, money and ideas.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Until you and other useful idiots of the Progressheviks understand how little they actually care for minorities, the Left will continue to promote and encourage the exploitation of minorities in their quest to fundamentally alter America into a modern day plantation. Everyone will be dependent on the Liberal masters for granting them food, shelter, money and ideas.
Bullshit

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yaknow, if I believed that shit, I'd hate liberals too. The problem is, it's all bullshit. And you know that too.
"Diversity" is code for non/anti white.
Diversity means diversity. The problem that some people have with diversity is that we are a meritocracy, and thus diversity and equality means those with little merit besides the color of their skin are afraid to lose that entitlement.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
If you think people from Europe have not been see as non Americans, then you know nothing of American history.

You mistake your own lack of understanding for mine. You keep doing that.

Cite me an example of where those in power in the US decided that people of European origin, as a group, were not proper Americans.

Care to explain who they _did_ see as Americans, if not white people of European origin? Was the US once seen as a country rightly belonging to East Asians?

Specific ethnicities from Europe have been seen as suspect an not 'real Americans'...until they became 'White'. They were not suspect in their capacity as being 'from Europe', they were suspect for being 'Irish' or 'Italian' or whatever specific origin it was (though I gather the negativity towards the Irish has been overstated, they were never in the same category as black people). But, being Europeans they were able to become white.

Those of African heritage have never, to my knowledge, been considered 'White'.