Woman wouldn't pay her contractor....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I saw the pictures of the work, and while the tile guy has claimed those pictures were "before a final clean up" it becomes very hard to clean up grout lines after they've dried.

Based on the pictures I saw of the work, I would definitely not pay the final amount either. The work looked like absolute shit. Tiles didn't line up, weren't trimmed properly, grout was all over the faces of the tiles like they had never been washed, some tiles were completely un-grouted like there was no thinset behind them. It was a mess.

She's honestly better off after he put holes in the work and didn't pay him. Whoever fixes it will just have to start over.

Reactions: pmv

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
He seems like someone who can't control his emotions. Not sure who would employ him to work in their home after he's become known for this.

I mean, if someone won't pay in full, maybe you have the moral right to undo the bit of the job they are saying they don't think was good enough, putting things back to how they were before you started. Going nuts with a sledge-hammer in someone's home, and almost certainly leaving things worse than before you started the job, doesn't seem possible to justify.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I saw the pictures of the work, and while the tile guy has claimed those pictures were "before a final clean up" it becomes very hard to clean up grout lines after they've dried.

Based on the pictures I saw of the work, I would definitely not pay the final amount either. The work looked like absolute shit. Tiles didn't line up, weren't trimmed properly, grout was all over the faces of the tiles like they had never been washed, some tiles were completely un-grouted like there was no thinset behind them. It was a mess.

She's honestly better off after he put holes in the work and didn't pay him. Whoever fixes it will just have to start over.
You made me google the pics. There are a bunch at the bottom of this link. And you aren't kidding lol, it's awful work.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
You made me google the pics. There are a bunch at the bottom of this link. And you aren't kidding lol, it's awful work.

Right?? She paid something like $6-8k for the work that looks like a random guy from Home Depot could have done better.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Yea, that's pretty shitty work.
Ouch....seeing those pictures have convinced me the chick was right and the contractor was an asshole. I seriously thought it was just a case of a wishy-washy customer or someone without the means to pay for the work.

I'm guessing the contractor subbed out the work and was trying to destroy the evidence of poor work because he knew it was going to have to be redone anyway.

Reactions: jmagg

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

I mean, I know it's the dailymail, but god damn that back-and-forth is just painful. Seems like the homeowner was in the right here so far.

Reactions: Scarpozzi

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I mean, I know it's the dailymail, but god damn that back-and-forth is just painful. Seems like the homeowner was in the right here so far.
Oh I didn't read the text messages. I just saw the pics of the bathroom.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Oh I didn't read the text messages. I just saw the pics of the bathroom.
My guess is all the messages when he was asking for money was on a Friday afternoon. He likely had other jobs he had to pay guys for and was trying to float them cash from that job because it was mostly finished. A lot of contractors do this if they sub out labor instead of doing it themselves and don't manage cash well. The bigger, legit commercial guys obviously keep it in-house and can even absorb Net30.