Woman wouldn't pay her contractor....

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I fully approve. Unfortunately I don't think the law will though. The law system sucks in situations like this and tends to punish the victim instead.

Though is it technically her property if she did not pay for it. He just forgot a box of his own tiles in her bathroom and went to pick them back up. It just so happens they were not in the box anymore. :p

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
“I want tile mechanics and artists to be respected, and when I see something like that happen. It’s a shame to this trade,” said McDaniel."
Next month, the tile and grout artist will make his way from Oregon to Colorado Springs to fix up Trucke's bathroom at no cost to her.
"McDaniel -- along with two separate tile and grout contractors from Colorado Springs, Ardex America, and The Tile Shop -- will try to make it right."

LOL .Only in america you say ? Definitely.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i believe we reposed all the doors in a house once. lol. you can just unscrew those though.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Don't know who the real piece of garbage is in the story.

Contractors are businessmen and generally speaking, every businessperson will learn to hide skeletons in the closet. The belong to a group of people who knows that you can do shit first and the courts are capricious and reactive. The victim has to do the work to defend his-/herself.

Maybe she was trying to pull a fast one.

However, if there was material defects within the product when she inspected their work, withholding payment is well within her rights.

What I see on Yelp, swings the pendulum towards the woman more than the contractor. Combined with the fact that someone skipped the permit process and that he did take a sledge instead of using his pen as the sledge in the court, it seems the more likely narrative is he tried to pull a fast one on a woman that looked like "easy prey".

Reactions: bigi

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
She "wanted to be wowed". WTH does that even mean? Did your stuff get put in as contracted? If you don't like YOUR choices, that isn't my problem. If I did something incorrectly, I'll fix it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I've reached the point where I'm more inclined to learn how to do a job myself rather than hire a contractor. (the plus side of being "handy")

At least that way I know I'm not getting ripped off. ;)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
She "wanted to be wowed". WTH does that even mean? Did your stuff get put in as contracted? If you don't like YOUR choices, that isn't my problem. If I did something incorrectly, I'll fix it.
Hiring a professional implies a high standard of work. Aesthetic beauty is a part of that, along with the bare minimum of straight lines. Following standard procedures for grouting, cutting would result in a feeling of "order" with the finished product. Maybe she phrased it poorly because women phrase it in such a manner. A lot of remodels are to sell a house, and the bathroom and kitchens are indeed intended to "wow" the prospective buyers who gets showed the property.

I would have high standards too, but I would have said, "as expected of a professional who professes who knows what the fuck he was doing".

In your personal endeavors, you probably have always provided a high standard of work. But there are many shady people who cry that they have done high quality work when it's just a lie to cover up the fact they tried to take easy money.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Details matter, and that article didn't provide details, but if I did work and didn't get paid, I could see me doing the same thing.
This is very true. What I have learned from the news in general and frequently with complicated stories is they get a lot of info wrong and that completely changes your perspective of the story.

Reactions: lxskllr

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Friend/contractor and a decent guy. Crazy, right...anyway, special ordered a $3K window. Customer signed off on all of it. Window comes in and she has changed her mind. He tells her that he's out $3K and she says, "That's on you," and goes back in her house. The MF'er side of me would have beat her to death with a mop handle. The nice me would have sued and lien'ed her house. My friend took it as a loss. What the damn heck?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Friend/contractor and a decent guy. Crazy, right...anyway, special ordered a $3K window. Customer signed off on all of it. Window comes in and she has changed her mind. He tells her that he's out $3K and she says, "That's on you," and goes back in her house. The MF'er side of me would have beat her to death with a mop handle. The nice me would have sued and lien'ed her house. My friend took it as a loss. What the damn heck?

Solution: "Any custom parts are to be supplied by customer".

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Solution: "Any custom parts are to be supplied by customer".

lol oh hell no. customers are stupid and will never get the right parts, then they will complain that the job is delayed while you order parts and refuse to pay for the correct stuff because they already bought the wrong stuff. or they tell you just to use it, dont like the hack job and refuse to pay. F that.

I ask for up front money for special order materials before the job starts. that way at least I have that part paid, and we also are happy to do this when hiring someone to do anything.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
lol oh hell no. customers are stupid and will never get the right parts, then they will complain that the job is delayed while you order parts and refuse to pay for the correct stuff because they already bought the wrong stuff. or they tell you just to use it, dont like the hack job and refuse to pay. F that.

I ask for up front money for special order materials before the job starts. that way at least I have that part paid, and we also are happy to do this when hiring someone to do anything.

Then pre-paid in full, in cash only.

What I do with PC parts is email people a Newegg Wish-list and say "buy one of these" then let them do it.

If somebody orders the wrong part on their dime after being sent pictures AND a link that's their problem not mine. (especially if they're jerks about it)

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Pre pay, hard to do with a 50 yo company. My Bro doesn't either. Granted, we're podunk USA and there are repercussions for not paying.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

Hey I know you said it needed to be these exact things but I found these others on ebay for half the price! It's basically the same thing and any little differences you can deal with right? I mean this is why I hired and expert. Not to listen to them but so they can make any dumb idea of mine a reality

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
woman is dumb

contractor is dumb

both dumb

edit: after looking at pictures, woman is not dumb, contractor is REALLY dumb

Last edited:
Reactions: pcgeek11