Woman was raped, and people saw it and did nothing!

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
CNN video

Basically, at an apartment complex, a guy raped a woman in the hall way between rooms. The surveillance camera caught the whole act. It also showed at least 10 different people walk by, or look out their doors, or walk up to the rapist, and victim, and then walk back to their apartment.

Not a single one of them tried to help. The police responded to a call of "Intoxicated people in the Hall way"

I remember reading a news story about a woman in New York running through the night screaming that she had been stabbed and having people look out and then ignore her. The would be killer caught up to her, and finished the job. And everyone just ignored it as well.

This kind of bullshit is what is wrong in the world today.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
it's called the bystander effect

happened to me, i was jumped and then carjacked, i was covered in blood walking back into the store, dozens of people saw me, no one offered to help.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Bystander effect. The best thing to do is to point at a person and tell him/her to help you. That puts pressure on the person to act.

badkarma1399

Feb 21, 2007
Originally posted by: OS

happened to me, i was jumped and then carjacked, i was covered in blood walking back into the store, dozens of people saw me, no one offered to help.

Originally posted by: Hacp
Bystander effect. The best thing to do is to point at a person and tell him/her to help you. That puts pressure on the person to act.

Wow really? You guys are so smart, where did you learn about that? :roll:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: badkarma1399

Now, now, don't be a douche.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

Psychology?

Jun 26, 2007

These are the things i wish i had known about at the time, i'm glad you're ok, other than that, yeah, they need a transplant.

badkarma1399

Feb 21, 2007

Psychology?

I guess Skoorbs the only one who watched the video all the way through :p

But on a more serious note, it is pretty sad. I can understand initial hesitation, but how can you let it go on for 30 minutes if you've known about it for any length of time? I wonder how wealth and socioeconomics play into this. Would it have happened in an upscale apartment? Personally i'd like to think i'd react quickly to help, but that could just be my over-inflated ego talking

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

Psychology?

I guess Skoorbs the only one who watched the video all the way through :p

But on a more serious note, it is pretty sad. I can understand initial hesitation, but how can you let it go on for 30 minutes if you've known about it for any length of time? I wonder how wealth and socioeconomics play into this. Would it have happened in an upscale apartment? Personally i'd like to think i'd react quickly to help, but that could just be my over-inflated ego talking

You learn about the Bystander effect in Psyc 101. Singling someone to help you out is the best way to combat this. Another thing you learn in Psyc 101. I don't think it would change if it were an upscale apartment.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
This is not beholden of a civilized society. It is self evidence of our societal suicide ? the aspect shown here is our passiveness and our utter contempt for the sanctity of human life that we will not act in someone?s defense.

Would not the onlookers in the medieval era have done the right thing and been more noble and civilized than we are today?

I would like to think so; I would like to hope so. This is a very depressing story.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
This is not beholden of a civilized society. It is self evidence of our societal suicide ? the aspect shown here is our passiveness and our utter contempt for the sanctity of human life that we will not act in someone?s defense.

Would not the onlookers in the medieval era have done the right thing and been more noble and civilized than we are today?

I would like to think so; I would like to hope so. This is a very depressing story.

Is my sarcasm meter broken?

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
I was once attacked on my way to school when I was a high schooler. 3 guys jumped me for no reason and beat the crap out of me on a very busy street. There would have been 30+ other kids around, as well a a lot of adults, and the traffic was bumper-to-bumper. I would estimate there were 50+ people that could have helped me, and not a single person did. Fuckers.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Even if the bystanders thought it was consensual, after about 10-15 minutes they should have said...
"You two, get a room"

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

Heh you could like to think all you like, but that's the society that enjoyed a good hanging more than ours. Nothing like getting the kids out of bed on Saturday morning for a hanging. Straighten them right out!
I would estimate there were 50+ people that could have helped me, and not a single person did. Fuckers.
This reaction is normal. Apparently the only real help against bystander syndrome is that those who know about it MAY be less likely to succumb to its tempting weakness.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I would estimate there were 50+ people that could have helped me, and not a single person did. Fuckers.
This reaction is normal. Apparently the only real help against bystander syndrome is that those who know about it MAY be less likely to succumb to its tempting weakness.

No, the reaction is cowardly. Just because some psychologists have given it a fancy name doesn't excuse people for being apathetic cowards.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Heh you could like to think all you like, but that's the society that enjoyed a good hanging more than ours. Nothing like getting the kids out of bed on Saturday morning for a hanging. Straighten them right out!

That's called the death penalty. Why are you bringing that up here? Our prisons are overcrowded due to our lack of use of it, a practice that was standard up until the 20th century.

It is entirely off topic when it comes to the idea of protecting your fellow human beings around you during an assault.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: iamaelephant

No, the reaction is cowardly. Just because some psychologists have given it a fancy name doesn't excuse people for being apathetic cowards.

It is passiveness and permissiveness. Both taught in school and given high regard in our society.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005

Back about 10 years ago, we were at the Calgary Stampede. There was a crowd of about 50 people gathered around this drunk fvck beating the hell out of his old lady. I walked right to the front, about 5 feet from the dude and stood and watched...
Everything in my brain was screaming, help her
I remember looking around at everyone else and nobody moved, and neither did I
I guess I kept thinking * Someone will help her*

The cops finally showed and stopped it, but to this day I still sit here and think WTF

I did not move, I did not help her
I'm ashamed of myself

But ya, I've told this story over a thousand times since and it happens.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Orignal Earl

Back about 10 years ago, we were at the Calgary Stampede. There was a crowd of about 50 people gathered around this drunk fvck beating the hell out of his old lady. I walked right to the front, about 5 feet from the dude and stood and watched...
Everything in my brain was screaming, help her
I remember looking around at everyone else and nobody moved, and neither did I
I guess I kept thinking * Someone will help her*

The cops finally showed and stopped it, but to this day I still sit here and think WTF

I did not move, I did not help her
I'm ashamed of myself

But ya, I've told this story over a thousand times since and it happens.

Everyone has a story like that, but take that with you and know that if it happened today you wouldn't have just stood there, so don't beat yourself up about it. Heh, pointless comment of the day, we all beat ourselved up over the things we didn't do or the things we did wrong.

Jun 26, 2007

It is passiveness and permissiveness. Both taught in school and given high regard in our society.

Says the Nazi who wants to eliminate all Muslims....

Calling someone a Nazi is a direct personal attack. As such this warrants 1 week off.

HR

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield

Everyone has a story like that, but take that with you and know that if it happened today you wouldn't have just stood there, so don't beat yourself up about it. Heh, pointless comment of the day, we all beat ourselved up over the things we didn't do or the things we did wrong.

Truly, and spot on as usual JohnofSheffield

I've made up for my lack in movement since, but always carry my badge to remind me

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

This is what the U.S. wanted and got.

Those people know that if they acted they are the one that would be arrested, imprisoned and sued on top of it if they tried to help.