Woman thrown out of ladies' bathroom for not looking feminine enough

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Why would she be carrying a fake id to use a bathroom? So, bouncer's aren't supposed to check ID and just use their high-IQs to determine age, gender, etc. I'm sure that holds up on many legal grounds.

I don't think she went to the place for the sole purpose of using the bathroom.:confused:

If they had a bouncer, they had a bar, and if they had a bar, the chances of their customers carrying fake ID goes way up.

I think he should have checked for ID, but I'm just saying ID isn't irrefutable proof. It's conceivable that now that this story was released, some feminine male pervert might get the idea of using a fake ID to be a "woman" in the woman's restroom.

she was pissing. she wasn't bothering anyone. Or are you accusing her of being similar to a man-who-might-be-commiting-a-thought-crime-but-she-isn't-really-because-she's-not-a-he?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Turin39789
Why would she be carrying a fake id to use a bathroom? So, bouncer's aren't supposed to check ID and just use their high-IQs to determine age, gender, etc. I'm sure that holds up on many legal grounds.

I don't think she went to the place for the sole purpose of using the bathroom.:confused:

If they had a bouncer, they had a bar, and if they had a bar, the chances of their customers carrying fake ID goes way up.

I think he should have checked for ID, but I'm just saying ID isn't irrefutable proof. It's conceivable that now that this story was released, some feminine male pervert might get the idea of using a fake ID to be a "woman" in the woman's restroom.

she was pissing. she wasn't bothering anyone. Or are you accusing her of being similar to a man-who-might-be-commiting-a-thought-crime-but-she-isn't-really-because-she's-not-a-he?

Her appearance in the restroom must have bothered someone or this wouldn't even been an issue.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: Squisher
So, to all of you that think throwing her out is acceptable, into what bathroom should she have gone?

I don't ever remember seeing a sign for the "butch looking woman's bathroom".

She could have passed as a man. If she wants to act like one, she should have gone into the men's room. She wouldn't have even caused a scene :p

I don't see why people want it both ways? You want to act like a man, yet have the same privileges as a woman :confused:

She acts like a man?

How exactly does a man act?
Was she rebuilding an engine? Looting and pillaging? Was she sticking her penis in things(thats the only thing I know that 90+% of men do)?

I'm very sorry that you can't point out male speech patterns/body language from a female's. That coupled with the the appearance and clothing probably "alarmed" the women that saw "her" in the bathroom.

It's the same way that everyone says that they can spot a gay guy by how he carries himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypatHWIqVgs

You would have thought that was a woman if you only had audio. And what guy moves around like that and has those mannerisms?
So, effeminate men should use the women's room and butch women should use the men's room?
Maybe in your world, but in the states it doesn't work that way and I believe the police would be called.

I'd like the see your face when you're using the urinal and a masculine looking female backs up to one next to you, drops her drawers, bends over, and lets it fly.

If your appearance as the opposite sex is so convincing, why not? If you go through life pretending to be the opposite sex and it's succeeding (dressing like a dude, acting like a dude, sleeping with women), why not go all out?

Ross The Intern couldn't pass as a female on looks alone, but this lady sure could pass for a dude.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I believe the charade would be over when she backs up to the urinal.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000

Her appearance in the restroom must have bothered someone or this wouldn't even been an issue.

If everyone whose appearance bothered me was kicked out of a restaurant, I'd be having a private party every damn night.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So, to all of you that think throwing her out is acceptable, into what bathroom should she have gone?

She could have passed as a man. If she wants to act like one, she should have gone into the men's room. She wouldn't have even caused a scene :p

I don't see why people want it both ways? You want to act like a man, yet have the same privileges as a woman :confused:

She acts like a man?

Was she rebuilding an engine? Looting and pillaging? Was she sticking her penis in things(thats the only thing I know that 90+% of men do)?

I'm very sorry that you can't point out male speech patterns/body language from a female's. That coupled with the the appearance and clothing probably "alarmed" the women that saw "her" in the bathroom.

It's the same way that everyone says that they can spot a gay guy by how he carries himself.

You would have thought that was a woman if you only had audio. And what guy moves around like that and has those mannerisms?
So, effeminate men should use the women's room and butch women should use the men's room?
Maybe in your world, but in the states it doesn't work that way and I believe the police would be called.

I'd like the see your face when you're using the urinal and a masculine looking female backs up to one next to you, drops her drawers, bends over, and lets it fly.

If your appearance as the opposite sex is so convincing, why not? If you go through life pretending to be the opposite sex and it's succeeding (dressing like a dude, acting like a dude, sleeping with women), why not go all out?

Ross The Intern couldn't pass as a female on looks alone, but this lady sure could pass for a dude.

When's the last time you went to a males-only bathroom that only had urinals?

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I am wondering if the person who complained to the bouncer just maybe didn't like lesbians? Maybe she did this to intentionally embarass the woman.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

If everyone whose appearance bothered me was kicked out of a restaurant, I'd be having a private party every damn night.

True, but a "man" in a women's bathroom is not the norm. Restaurants cater to all different types of people... bathrooms are gender specific (typically).

That being said, what do you think that most women would do if a "man" walked into a female bathroom? Would they just not say a word, or would they notify someone?

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

If the bouncer believed there was a man using a fake ID to stalk women's restrooms, then he should have called the police.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000

She acts like a man?

When's the last time you went to a males-only bathroom that only had urinals?
So, butch looking women have to wait for a stall to open up?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

No, my argument has strayed away from the central issue and I'm now just pointing out that IDs aren't a much more reliable way of determining gender than visual cues and behavior.

Therefore, it's unreasonable to expect your average person to stop using the much faster and usually correct portion of their brain that has been sexing people with almost 100% accuracy for millions of years, in favor of asking every single person you meet for their ID before you assign them a gender in your mind.