Woman returns dead Christmas tree to Costco

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
She needs to be publicly shamed to prevent other knuckleheads from doing this.

http://abc7.com/society/woman-returns-dead-christmas-tree-to-costco-in-january/2929173/

While many of us were trying to figure out where to discard our Christmas trees, one woman decided to return hers.

On Jan 4., the woman reportedly took her tree to a Santa Clarita Costco asking for a refund because her tree died.

One shopper, who was waiting in line behind the woman, was so blown away that he posted about the exchange on his Facebook page.

"I can't make this stuff up," Scott Bentley wrote. "Woman in line at Costco, totally nonchalant, to return her Christmas tree 'because it is dead' on January 4."

The man even shamed Costco for allowing the "ridiculous" return to occur and the woman for asking for her money back.

"Heartbreaking to think she may have needed that money so much, she lost all self respect and dignity for it."

Surprisingly, Costco did issue the woman a refund, Bentely said in his post.

The woman still hasn't been identified; however, she did give shoppers on social media a new idea for next year.

Reactions: DeadlyTitan
Nov 20, 2009
In the land of nuts, fruits and flakes, only California comes 1st place to Florida. Personally, I would have issued the refund and then closed her membership.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
In the land of nuts, fruits and flakes, only California comes 1st place to Florida. Personally, I would have issued the refund and then closed her membership.

Nah, Costco doesn't work that way. It's their goofy return policy that draws shoppers/members. It was only the rampant abuse of the policy a few years back that made them change their policy on electronics from "If you're not happy, return it." to the current 90 day returns, 2 year concierge service/warranty on things like TV's and computers...and MOST of the time, you don't even need your receipt, since the purchase will show up in your purchase history in their system.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I know someone who returned a half eaten pizza to Costco, but I didn't shame them on the internet, just in person.
Costco is way too nice to these people, but think about it as an employee: if you say no, you might get in trouble when the customer complains, so just let them return it.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
she can point to a sentence in a revised costco return policy and tell her kids "SEE, THATS THERE BECAUSE OF ME!"

Reactions: Mike64

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I know someone who returned a half eaten pizza to Costco, but I didn't shame them on the internet, just in person.
Costco is way too nice to these people, but think about it as an employee: if you say no, you might get in trouble when the customer complains, so just let them return it.

It takes a different kind of person to work there than I am. I would probably be fired for refusing too many returns and then getting into heated arguments with customers when they do something like this.

Costco used to be a way to avoid the walmart-ers. Not any more.

Might depend on the area? We dislike the Sam's club by us because its frustrating and depressing compared to the nearest Costco but also 15 min closer

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
llbean has the same issues. They have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee, and some people are unreasonable about it, bringing in stuff that's been beat to shit for years. I guess the balance sheet shows there's sufficiently fewer cµnts than humans to make it worth the policy.

SamQuint

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2010
People are horrible. You see this all the time at Costco. I have seen people return multiple outdoor heaters, all used. I bet they threw a party used the heaters and then returned them afterwards. They do this with food as well. Buy more than they need and return what they didn't use. Costco has to throw all of that food away. I am always seeing those giant teddy bears being returned. I am sure customers take those home, take a bunch of photos and return them when they are done. These people are going to force Costco into changing their policies and ruin a good thing for everyone.

Feb 25, 2011
I recently returned a half box of AAA batteries to costco. They said "good until 2020" but a bunch of them leaked battery acid.

I'm not sure if that makes me part of the problem.

I generally try not to return things to Costco because I saw what happened to their electronics returns and don't want it to happen to other things.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
they gave her the refund...honestly, I think that's rather awesome of her. lol.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Might depend on the area? We dislike the Sam's club by us because its frustrating and depressing compared to the nearest Costco but also 15 min closer
Sams is probably 7 min. Costco is 25 min. We go to Costco usually.

Haven't heard if ours is closing or not.

llbean has the same issues. They have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee, and some people are unreasonable about it, bringing in stuff that's been beat to shit for years. I guess the balance sheet shows there's sufficiently fewer cµnts than humans to make it worth the policy.
Some years back, we were behind a guy at Lowes that was returning a blower. The bottom of the tube was warn through where he had scraped it across his drive. WTF? They took it back. WTF x2?

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Returns are built in to their business model, they make huge profit off the memberships.

Reactions: Pick2

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Like any retailer, you can get blacklisted and your membership revoked by Costco for abusing the generous return policy. While ridiculous, the woman got her money back from Costco. Sounds like win-win situation for both parties. She got her money back and Costco got some positive PR and free advertising from the story.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
free advertising from the story.
Not sure I'd want it to get out that I catered to thieving douchebags, even if I did somehow lose my mind and not tell her to shove the tree up her ass. I don't need "customers" like that.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

That is different though, there is no shelflife on clothing. Also I suspect they have a wear and tear clause. That said I admit I have taken advantage of the North Face lifetime warranty on a 12 year old rain jacket that had the lining crack. Why not, they offer the warranty, that was one of the reasons I bought it from them. Got a $140 gift card to buy a new one.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That is different though, there is no shelflife on clothing. Also I suspect they have a wear and tear clause. That said I admit I have taken advantage of the North Face lifetime warranty on a 12 year old rain jacket that had the lining crack. Why not, they offer the warranty, that was one of the reasons I bought it from them. Got a $140 gift card to buy a new one.
I dunno about an "official" wear/tear clause, but they'll literally take back anything, any age, any condition, even if it's outright abuse/overuse. Nothing lasts forever, even stupid diamonds. I expect businesses to deal with me in good faith, and I'll do the same. If I've gotten sufficient use out of an item, and it lasted as well as can be expected, I'll buy a new one of the same thing, and not abuse a company's good will.

Reactions: DarthKyrie