Woman in Chicago suburb issued ticket over Facebook post

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
5-30-2014

https://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/f...--tracey-phillips--bolingbrook-173323719.html

Woman's Facebook Post Leads to Police Ticket

Anything you post on Facebook can (and sometimes will) come back to haunt you. Chicago-area resident Christine Adamski discovered that the hard way when she received a police citation in the mail because of a comment she wrote on the social networking site.

The letter from the Will County Forest Preserve District stated that Adamski had brought her dog to the Whalon Lake Dog Park in Naperville, Ill., without a permit and included an application for the permit, a ticket for $50, and a printout of Adamski’s Facebook post "admitting her guilt."

The post read, “I was feeling bad that I haven’t bought a pass and been bringing Ginger there but I’m pretty glad I haven’t. So not going to worry about it until later.

However, Adamski, who lives in the town of Bolingbrook, says she did not bring her dog to the park at any time in 2014 and that the police simply misinterpreted her Facebook post. “I laughed,” she told the Chicago Tribune. “I was like, this is totally untrue. Obviously I’m not going to pay this.” Adamski wrote about the citation on the dog park's Facebook page: “That’s dead wrong. I haven’t gone there since 2013!” Yahoo Shine could not reach Adamski for comment.

The police department ultimately acquiesced, rescinding the $50 ticket. “Normally, we would investigate the issue with a followup phone call or possibly a home visit, but since proper protocol wasn’t followed, we didn’t pursue the matter

In regard to this case, lawyer Heather Hansen recently told Fox Business that people have “no reasonable expectation of privacy with regard to your public posts, and even your private posts are subject to searches, possibly without your knowledge.” She added that people should “approach social media as if whatever you do will be viewed as if it is on TV.”

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
and Illinois especially Chicago area wonders why people are leaving in mass droves.

Um proof? The population in 1990 was 2.786 million and in 2012 was 2.715 million. Hardly leaving in droves. The population of IL has also increased almost 1.5 million between those years.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
shouldn't you love Chicago?

A city ran by liberals for decades.

Well it's news to me that Chicago is in Will County. Holy shit, I've been paying property taxes to the wrong people all these years!

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Um proof? The population in 1990 was 2.786 million and in 2012 was 2.715 million. Hardly leaving in droves. The population of IL has also increased almost 1.5 million between those years.

City of Chicago population has actually ticked up about 10-15K in the last few years. The largest group leaving the city has been African Americans moving to southern states for a variety of reasons....sort of a reverse great migration.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Dont poke me bro!
And in 2009, a Tennessee woman was arrested for “poking” another Facebook user. The poke allegedly violated a legal order of protection that had been previously filed against the woman. The terms of the order of protection prevented the poker from "telephoning, contacting, or otherwise communicating with the petitioner." Violation of an order of protection qualifies as a misdemeanor.

MasterOfUsers

May 5, 2014
5-30-2014

https://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/f...--tracey-phillips--bolingbrook-173323719.html

Woman's Facebook Post Leads to Police Ticket

Anything you post on Facebook can (and sometimes will) come back to haunt you. Chicago-area resident Christine Adamski discovered that the hard way when she received a police citation in the mail because of a comment she wrote on the social networking site.

The letter from the Will County Forest Preserve District stated that Adamski had brought her dog to the Whalon Lake Dog Park in Naperville, Ill., without a permit and included an application for the permit, a ticket for $50, and a printout of Adamski’s Facebook post "admitting her guilt."

The post read, “I was feeling bad that I haven’t bought a pass and been bringing Ginger there but I’m pretty glad I haven’t. So not going to worry about it until later.

However, Adamski, who lives in the town of Bolingbrook, says she did not bring her dog to the park at any time in 2014 and that the police simply misinterpreted her Facebook post. “I laughed,” she told the Chicago Tribune. “I was like, this is totally untrue. Obviously I’m not going to pay this.” Adamski wrote about the citation on the dog park's Facebook page: “That’s dead wrong. I haven’t gone there since 2013!” Yahoo Shine could not reach Adamski for comment.

The police department ultimately acquiesced, rescinding the $50 ticket. “Normally, we would investigate the issue with a followup phone call or possibly a home visit, but since proper protocol wasn’t followed, we didn’t pursue the matter

In regard to this case, lawyer Heather Hansen recently told Fox Business that people have “no reasonable expectation of privacy with regard to your public posts, and even your private posts are subject to searches, possibly without your knowledge.” She added that people should “approach social media as if whatever you do will be viewed as if it is on TV.”

If the police haven't got better things to do then fire the policemen that were involved, they have shown themselves to be useless.

I commonly side with law enforcement but stupid is stupid regardless of what they do for a living and useless means you should not have to pay for it.

MasterOfUsers

May 5, 2014
Dont poke me bro!

THIS i get, if you are under threat of violence and any contact is barred then ANY CONTACT IS BARRED.

This is not difficult to understand at all, you don't fucking contact them in any way what so ever, period.

I know a woman who was physically threatened by a guy and any sign of him would hurt her, that he was poking her, watching her would have sent her over the edge, i had to stay on suicide watch for hours on end until the fucking retard texted her that he was outside her building.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012

A quick google image search suggests people have been leaving for several decades. It probably has a lot more to do with economic factors instead of facebook factors.

Chicago_20population.jpg

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
cox-chicago-2.png

Massive Core City Loss: The historical core city of Chicago lost but 200,000 people, and fell to a population of 2.7 million, the lowest count since the 1910 census. The population is down 925,000 from 1950 and at the current rate would drop at least 1 million from the 1950 peak by the 2020 census. Chicago is at risk of joining London and Detroit as the only two historical core municipalities in modern times that have lost more than 1 million people.
Census data shows that the suburbs are growing but between 2000 and 2010 Chicago itself lost about 6.9% of its population.

From the Chicago Tribune:
Because of the population decline, Chicago could lose federal funding over the coming decade, exacting a cost on long-term community development projects, social services, public transportation and education, according to the city's budget department and economists.

According to the census, the city's black population went from just over 1 million in 2000 to 887,608 in 2010. The non-Hispanic white population dropped from 907,166 to 854,717, while Hispanics increased by about 25,000 to 778,862

While it would be correct to say that the Metropolitan Area was growing, it would be incorrect to say that Chicago was growing...

Uno

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
While it would be correct to say that the Metropolitan Area was growing, it would be incorrect to say that Chicago was growing...

Uno

The city is adding population again.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20140521/BLOGS02/140529935/is-chicagos-population-growing-again

According to new estimates released overnight by the U.S. Census Bureau, the population of Chicago proper grew to 2,718,782 on July 1, up 5,862 since July 1, 2012, or about 0.2 percent. The city's population has increased by about 23,000 since the 2010 census, or just under 1 percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.