Woman gets ticketed for driving 63 mph in 65 mph speed limit zone

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...a-ticket-for-driving-63-mph-in-a-65-zone?lite

Seems crazy IMO. The weather guy confirmed that there were wind gusts in excess of 40 mph at the time of the ticket, so the lady's story of driving conservatively because of the wind makes complete sense. Under those conditions, if she was 'impeding traffic' by doing 63 in a 65 mph zone, the cop should have been focused on ticketing those going faster, instead of giving her a ticket for doing 63 in a 65 zone.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
She wasn't cited for going to slow. If she didn't want a ticket, she shouldn't be traveling in the lane meant for passing.

The driver, who didn’t want her name used, told NBC Washington she was driving in the left lane of I-95 in Laurel last Friday when she was pulled over and cited for failing to move right.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
"The driver, who didn’t want her name used, told NBC Washington she was driving in the left lane of I-95 in Laurel last Friday when she was pulled over and cited for failing to move right."

Crucify her.

...seriously...

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
My guess is they have one of those laws where you have to do the speed limit in the left lane. She didnt get a ticket for not going the speed limit. But instead for not moving into the slower moving lane. Still 63 out of 65 is close enough. Ridiculous imo.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
She wasn't cited for going to slow. If she didn't want a ticket, she shouldn't be traveling in the lane meant for passing.

It is meant for passing at no more than 65 mph. If she passed someone going 70 mph in that lane... she could have just as easy been given a speeding ticket.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Slower traffic keep right. It's the law.

Don't speed is also the law, the speed limit was 65, she was doing 63. Further, operating the vehicle in way that is safe considering the environment is also the law, so driving at about the speed limit with heavy wind gusts would seem reasonable.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
She must have been from Maryland. There are TONS of Maryland drives who feel it is their civil duty to block traffic and drive slow in the passing lane.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Crucify her.

I wish there were like para-police officers that were allowed to write tickets on just one type of offense. This would be mine. I would travel the highways and byways of America ticketing the shit out of people who fail to move right. It ain't rocket surgery.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

She was cited for impeding traffic. Since the speed limit was 65, she could not possibly have been impeding people driving at the speed limit very much. Heck, with a wind gust you could easily go from 65 to 63 for a few seconds and then back to 65.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
It ain't rocket surgery.

Not speeding is also not rocket surgery. What makes one offense (speeding) any less reason for a citation than someone failing to move to the right? We're not talking about someone doing 40 mph here, that would be dangerous. We're talking about 63 in a 65.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
This is where a technically inclined individual would get the specs of the radar gun used and fine its tolerance. I bet it would be enough for 64.5 to be within the margin of error.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Not speeding is also not rocket surgery. What makes one offense (speeding) any less reason for a citation than someone failing to move to the right? We're not talking about someone doing 40 mph here, that would be dangerous. We're talking about 63 in a 65.

63 in a 65 is also dangerous if there's a line of cars stacked up behind her. Get out of the way. Let the police worry about speeders. That's their job, not yours.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
She was cited for impeding traffic. Since the speed limit was 65, she could not possibly have been impeding people driving at the speed limit very much. Heck, with a wind gust you could easily go from 65 to 63 for a few seconds and then back to 65.

The law states to stay right except to pass.
She was not passing, not staying on the right.
I-95 in that section between DC and Baltimore is 2 lanes each way.

She got into the left lane and stayed there no matter what the traffic was.

She possibly thought she was performing a civic duty by acting as a rolling roadblock

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Her speed is not the issue. Whether she was going 40 or 140 is not the offense. She failed to move right. If she were cruising at 140 in the left lane while there was no one to the right of her she should have been ticketed for speeding and failing to move right.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
where do people live that the freeway isn't so jammed up that they can actually leave a lane just for passing?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
where do people live that the freeway isn't so jammed up that they can actually leave a lane just for passing?
If people would leave the lane for passing, the freeway wouldn't be jammed up; that's the point.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...a-ticket-for-driving-63-mph-in-a-65-zone?lite

Seems crazy IMO. The weather guy confirmed that there were wind gusts in excess of 40 mph at the time of the ticket, so the lady's story of driving conservatively because of the wind makes complete sense. Under those conditions, if she was 'impeding traffic' by doing 63 in a 65 mph zone, the cop should have been focused on ticketing those going faster, instead of giving her a ticket for doing 63 in a 65 zone.

Well slap my ass and call me Shirley, PokerGuy and I agree on something. I may get annoyed and frustrated when someone is in the fast lane going slower than I feel is appropriate, but if she's technically obeying the speed limit while I'm trying to break it I certainly wouldn't believe she should get a ticket ... I don't want one either though I'd be surpassing the speed limit.

Feb 6, 2007
She possibly thought she was performing a civic duty by acting as a rolling roadblock

Exactly, and that makes things more dangerous. If you have a maniac who thinks it's OK to drive 110 MPH down the freeway, it's safer to keep them in a single lane than have them weaving in and out of lanes trying to dodge slower vehicles, regardless of what speed those slower vehicles are traveling. Yes, you don't want to encourage people to race, but you are also trying to promote the safest driving conditions possible, and that means don't cruise along idly in the left lane if you aren't actively passing slower traffic. Her speed is irrelevant; she was misusing the passing lane.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
She deserved it as far as I'm concerned. Anyone driving slow in the left lane is either a dick or an idiot. Next up, ticket the assholes who fly past you, passing on the right lane.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
If people would leave the lane for passing, the freeway wouldn't be jammed up; that's the point.

no, not at all. most halfway busy freeways have enough traffic that the left lane needs to be used for regular travel in order to maximize throughput. the only way to leave one lane clear except for those that are passing right the heck now would be to make the other lanes crawl.

She deserved it as far as I'm concerned. Anyone driving slow in the left lane is either a dick or an idiot. Next up, ticket the assholes who fly past you, passing on the right lane.
i hate those people. if i'm in the second to the right lane of a 5 lane wide freeway going 7 or 8 over, and there is no one to my left, pass on my left, ass.

Last edited:

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
People who putz along in the left lane should be forced to drive on the autobahns in Germany for a month. Get run over by a BMW or Mercedes enough times and there's a slight chance they'd learn their lesson. Too many drivers in the US are clueless, oblivious and flat out lazy. They think they have the right to do whatever they want on the road whenever they want to. If people would stop clogging up the left lane, alternate at 4-way stops, not clog up intersections, not fly down the right-hand lane and then force their way into the merge lane at the last possible second (forcing everyone else to stop for you), pay effing attention at stop lights instead of texting or reading facebook, traffic would flow better and there'd be less accidents.