Woman Gets Forcibly Stripped In Jail

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: silverpig
I'm just saying be aware you're only getting one side of the story, and the language and obvious editing say that there is a LOT more of the story to tell.
Even if there is more to the story, let's figure out why:

The department officially said "it was not a strip search" (probably so they wouldn't violate their own department policy to conduct strip searches with officers of the same sex as the detainee).

She was stripped of all her clothing and left in a cell naked for 6 hours.

The department didn't release all the available footage of the incident to the woman's lawyer.

Suspected murderers aren't even forcibly stripped and left in a cell naked for hours. Why was a 125lb woman, who was only charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest?

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
If they felt she was a danger to herself, then they could have stripped her down because of that.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: silverpig
I'm just saying be aware you're only getting one side of the story, and the language and obvious editing say that there is a LOT more of the story to tell.
Even if there is more to the story, let's figure out why:

The department officially said "it was not a strip search" (probably so they wouldn't violate their own department policy to conduct strip searches with officers of the same sex as the detainee).

She was stripped of all her clothing and left in a cell naked for 6 hours.

The department didn't release all the available footage of the incident to the woman's lawyer.

Suspected murderers aren't even forcibly stripped and left in a cell naked for hours. Why was a 125lb woman, who was only charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest?

I wonder if they'll play that angle in court... "Yes, we admit it was a search. But the stripping part was completely accidental."

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Good luck finding an impartial jury. I can just imagine the jury selection:

Defense Lawyer: So, are you female?
Prospective Juror: Yes.
Defense Lawyer: Dismissed.

Defense Lawyer: Do you have a wife or girlfriend?
Prospective Juror: Yes.

Defense Lawyer: How do you feel about sexual assault?
Prospective Juror: I think it's a heinous crime.

Defense Lawyer: What is your opinion of women in general?
Prospective Juror #2: They're all sluts.
Defense Lawyer: We'd like to invite you back tomorrow.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
I'm just going to leave this thread and leave a nice "Jump to Conclusions" mat behind for you guys.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: OdiN
If they felt she was a danger to herself, then they could have stripped her down because of that.
Again, good luck trying to play that angle. Suicide risks have their belts and shoelaces removed. Extreme suicide risks are kept completely restrained (e.g. straight-jacket, bound behind the back, etc.), or they are transferred to psychiatric wards where they are placed under sedation and suicide watch.

Believe it or not, there are specific guidelines these departments have to deal with almost every imaginable situation. Guidelines formed by experts and examined by lawyers to prevent mishaps and limit the liability of the police department in legal situations.

I very much doubt you're going to find any guidelines that say the best way to deal with a suicidal person is to forcibly strip them naked (worsening their mental state) and leave them naked in a cell for 6 hours. Compound that by the fact she was stripped completely naked by male police officers. That is inhumane and abominable treatment.

Originally posted by: OdiN
I'm just going to leave this thread and leave a nice "Jump to Conclusions" mat behind for you guys.
Leave one for the jury as well. Just put a different seven-figure settlement sum in each square and I'm sure they'll be in and out of deliberation in 5 minutes.