Woman Gets Forcibly Stripped In Jail

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Venix
Some more information.

Amazingly, this makes the cops seem even worse.

oh my..

Gurlea the, documents allege, warned Steffey to calm down and Steffey replied she was upset and could exercise her freedom of speech and her cousin again attempted to remind the deputy that Steffey was the victim and she had been knocked unconscious by the assailant.

This is basically their version of:

Officer: Calm down now!
Steffey: Fvck off, I can say what I want! It's a free country!

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Good luck finding an impartial jury. I can just imagine the jury selection:

Defense Lawyer: So, are you female?
Prospective Juror: Yes.
Defense Lawyer: Dismissed.

Defense Lawyer: Do you have a wife or girlfriend?

Defense Lawyer: How do you feel about sexual assault?
Prospective Juror: I think it's a heinous crime.

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: silverpig
Some more information.

oh my..

Gurlea the, documents allege, warned Steffey to calm down and Steffey replied she was upset and could exercise her freedom of speech and her cousin again attempted to remind the deputy that Steffey was the victim and she had been knocked unconscious by the assailant.

And she is correct. Yelling, cursing and throwing a fit is Constitutionally protected free speech. Courts have been ruling for decades that the police have no authority to compel a person to "calm down".

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Good luck finding an impartial jury. I can just imagine the jury selection:

Defense Lawyer: So, are you female?

Defense Lawyer: Do you have a wife or girlfriend?

Defense Lawyer: How do you feel about sexual assault?
Prospective Juror: I think it's a heinous crime.

I don't think you get it. Regardless of the 'strikes' the defense can use in jury selection, 99 out of 100 people are going to want to abide by the law, and the evidence (that we're able to examine at this limited point) clearly shows violation of department procedures and wildly inappropriate use of force/tactics. So the defense could use up all of it's strikes and still come up with a jury that will want these cops and the sheriff's office to burn for this.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
Some more information.

oh my..

Even if your assumtion is correct, cops are not supposed to do what they've done.

Unless you're a lawyer, defend the people that's worth defending.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
this could have all been avoided if he woulda just whipped out the tazer.....he would have told her to calm down, she could have mouthed back, he would told her to calm down again, and again she would have mouthed off the he would have tazered her and she would have pissed her pants and gone to jail...end of story.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
That is plain flatout assault against that woman. I think the officers involved need to be put in jail for 30 days and the sheriff needs to be fired. That is awful, just plain awful.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Arkaign
I don't think you get it. Regardless of the 'strikes' the defense can use in jury selection, 99 out of 100 people are going to want to abide by the law, and the evidence (that we're able to examine at this limited point) clearly shows violation of department procedures and wildly inappropriate use of force/tactics. So the defense could use up all of it's strikes and still come up with a jury that will want these cops and the sheriff's office to burn for this.
I completely agree with you; I want these guys to burn. I was making light of the defense's ability to find an impartial jury for this, because they probably can't and it won't matter in the end: the case is a lost cause. They can only hope for a settlement in the low 7-figures if they're lucky.

Dessert Tears

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2005
Originally posted by: McCarthy
You weren't there. Neither was I. We got half of the story thanks to an edited report. The police cannot comment until May, as they're bound to silence by the ongoing lawsuit.
Your logic and reason has no place here.

YOUTUBE = TRUTH

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Deadtrees

Even if your assumtion is correct, cops are not supposed to do what they've done.

Oh there's something not right with the whole situation, but you've only heard one side of the story. I imagine everyone in the thread would change their tune if a video came out where the woman went for the cop's gun thus causing her arrest, then she bit two officers and the doctor, then threatened to kill herself.

The cops didn't look at all like they were on a power trip, and the language in the report reeks of onesidedness.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
I imagine everyone in the thread would change their tune if a video came out where the woman went for the cop's gun thus causing her arrest, then she bit two officers and the doctor, then threatened to kill herself.
If we're making up stories now, I'm sure we can make the cops look even worse.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Deadtrees

Oh there's something not right with the whole situation, but you've only heard one side of the story. I imagine everyone in the thread would change their tune if a video came out where the woman went for the cop's gun thus causing her arrest, then she bit two officers and the doctor, then threatened to kill herself.

The cops didn't look at all like they were on a power trip, and the language in the report reeks of onesidedness.

i see a video of male cops stripping a hysterical woman naked, show me a video of her going for a cop's gun, kthx.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Whether or not this lady caused a ruckus and was acting out of line, the bottom line is that the department has a rule that says strip searches shall only be carried out by same sex, and there were male officers present during the strip.

This will be the biggest thing for the plaintiff and the hardest thing to defend due to video evidence.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: akshatp
This will be the biggest thing for the plaintiff and the hardest thing to defend due to video evidence.
Don't forget this part:

After her clothes were removed, she was locked in a cell. To stay warm, she wrapped herself in toilet paper. She remained in the cell for six hours.
Stripped naked and left in a cell for 6 hours? Good luck explaining that part to the jury.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
what the fuck!?! That was hard to watch. Poor woman. No one deserves to be treated like that

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
I imagine everyone in the thread would change their tune if a video came out where the woman went for the cop's gun thus causing her arrest, then she bit two officers and the doctor, then threatened to kill herself.

exactly. police apologizers need to stop guessing up stories and need to go with the facts presented (video/atricle)

Unless there is proof stating otherwise, the cops are 100% in the wrong. I dont even know what I'd do if my fiance was treated like that

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Aharami
I dont even know what I'd do if my fiance was treated like that
I would start looking for beach-front property in SoCal. :laugh:

Maybe swing by the Bentley dealership.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Aharami

exactly. police apologizers need to stop guessing up stories and need to go with the facts presented (video/atricle)

Unless there is proof stating otherwise, the cops are 100% in the wrong. I dont even know what I'd do if my fiance was treated like that

If you like made up stories, keep watching the news and reading the newspaper. Plenty in there.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
PART 2 OF THE STORY

Link

If you thought the police department was f**ked before, watch part 2. The conviction is signed, sealed and delivered.

Also, [not so] surprisingly, footage is ***missing*** of the incident. Police officers are required to have their dash cameras turned when making a stop; the dash camera footage from this incident is missing up until the point of her put into the car after being arrested. They also had an officer with a hand-held camera filming her from the time she entered the station; footage that was never turned over to her lawyers.

My guess is the department reviewed the footage and decided they would be strung up at the gallows if the complete story got out.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001

The cops are not able to comment at all. Everything you've heard has been released by the plaintiff. The video was edited and was not continuous. Look at the language in the second story. The language was chosen to make the plaintiff appear reasonable and the cop seem to be on a power trip.

Look at the cop who is on top of her in the video. That doesn't look like a guy who is having fun ripping the clothes off a woman. It looks like he doesn't want to be there at all.

I'm not saying they're in the clear, I'm just saying be aware you're only getting one side of the story, and the language and obvious editing say that there is a LOT more of the story to tell.