Woman Gets Forcibly Stripped In Jail

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
look when people get taken into custody and they think they are innocent they can flip out. the trauma of being treated like a suspect is stressful and a deep personal insult. i'm sure she went from crying to attacking an officer at some point.

She probably first flipped out when the cop didn't give back her dead sister's driver's license. But it sounded like the cop was a dick for not giving it back in the first place.

The cop probably thought she was trying to pass herself as someone else.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
look when people get taken into custody and they think they are innocent they can flip out. the trauma of being treated like a suspect is stressful and a deep personal insult. i'm sure she went from crying to attacking an officer at some point.

She probably first flipped out when the cop didn't give back her dead sister's driver's license. But it sounded like the cop was a dick for not giving it back in the first place.

The lady's husband said that the cop was told by the suspect about the license being her sisters and that she kept it as a reminder. The cop apprantly said something like "i dont care" and arrested her.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: OdiN
Originally posted by: JLee
Originally posted by: OdiN
So what did she do? I find it hard to believe that she didn't do anything at all to warrant being in handcuffs.

It's a much more newsworthy if they imply that she did nothing at all.

Yeah.

I bet she got handcuffed for something and then started going all fucking psycho.

I mean being in handcuffs doesn't automatically give you a criminal record. Sometimes cops gotta handcuff a couple people just to be safe until they can sort something out and figure out what really went wrong.

We don't know what happened because the video only shows a part of the whole event which looks the worst for the cops, and also just so happens to make the best show for the news crew "exclusive", etc.

Just more reasons for me to hate news really.
Thats exactly what I was thinking too.
I didnt hate the cops nearly as much as the news team.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: cliftonite
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

The lady's husband said that the cop was told by the suspect about the license being her sisters and that she kept it as a reminder. The cop apprantly said something like "i dont care" and arrested her.

well the truth is cops probably heard every lie out there.
taking them in to get verfied is pretty much expected. if you give false id as your first act, you can expect skepticism.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Let's imagine ATOT represented a typical cross-section of a jury pool (which is only half-true, since a majority of forum users are male; but I would venture to say women would sympathize even more with a female who was stripped in such a brutal fashion by male police officers).

Based on responses in this thread, it's an open-and-shut case for the jury. The department and city are already determining what kind of settlement they can offer to shut this down before it gets more media exposure.

As for the officers themselves, my guess is they'll get minor disciplinary punishment at best...police are notorious for protecting their own.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
I hope she doesn't settle out of court. That would be like saying it's o.k. for the police to commit this kind of injustice and not be held accountable for it.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: RaistlinZ
I hope she doesn't settle out of court. That would be like saying it's o.k. for the police to commit this kind of injustice and not be held accountable for it.
You can do pretty much anything in this country if the check has enough zeros on it.

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
You weren't there. Neither was I. We got half of the story thanks to an edited report. The police cannot comment until May, as they're bound to silence by the ongoing lawsuit.

It looks bad. A lot of what police have to do looks bad even when not selectively edited. I can't say I'll defend all of this, but let's not blame all 600,000 officers for what misconduct may have occurred here. Cops are people, and people are flawed. At worst that's what this comes down to. This isn't evidence of a police state. It's evidence of flawed people.

To point out the faults of the law enforcers is to feel good about being in opposition and nothing more. If you want to change the laws, that's another matter.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: McCarthy
You weren't there. Neither was I. We got half of the story thanks to an edited report. The police cannot comment until May, as they're bound to silence by the ongoing lawsuit.

It looks bad. A lot of what police have to do looks bad even when not selectively edited. I can't say I'll defend all of this, but let's not blame all 600,000 officers for what misconduct may have occurred here. Cops are people, and people are flawed. At worst that's what this comes down to. This isn't evidence of a police state. It's evidence of flawed people.

To point out the faults of the law enforcers is to feel good about being in opposition and nothing more. If you want to change the laws, that's another matter.

:thumbsup:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: mattocs
It's like rape without penetration. I got a laugh out of that, but the stuff is sad.

That is awful, but the only thing they are guilty of is arresting the wrong person. That is what should happen to someones being arrested. If they don't go along with it, they need to be searched while being restrained.

It's sodomization and molestation at the very least.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
For several million dollars I would gladly be arrested and stripped naked and left in a cell for several hours, although I am sure this lady was not thinking dollar signs when they were all in the cell taking her clothes off.

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
i think this made news more for the fact that it was a white woman being stripped against her will then anything else. either way, every cop in that room should be fired immediately. espcecially the guys that were in there. they probably have the tapes at home all covered in hand lotion already...

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Heh, funny quote from youtube comments : ~Authoritarian Apologist~ in Warsaw, 1944: "It looks to me like the Nazis are very professional during this procedure. The Jews hiding in sewers & fighting back have probably necessitated the large number of Nazis. If the Jews would only orderly get on to the cattle cars, this will all be over so much quicker and neater."

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
wow how did the news station get that tape? the stupid cops filmed their own guilty verdict.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: SunnyD
It's like rape without penetration. I got a laugh out of that, but the stuff is sad.

That is awful, but the only thing they are guilty of is arresting the wrong person. That is what should happen to someones being arrested. If they don't go along with it, they need to be searched while being restrained.

Uh, sodomy is oral or anal intercourse...

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: SunnyD

its neither sodomy or molestation. why would you even think that?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Citrix
wow how did the news station get that tape? the stupid cops filmed their own guilty verdict.

Cops should be on video at all times during their duty hours. This would protect everyone involved, besides the guilty. Criminals; caught on tape, Bad cops; caught on tape, and best of all : a department can say "We logged 60,000 hours of duty time for our officers last quarter, and we maintain this proof that at all times they acted lawfully, and in the best interests of the citizens and department".

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
First of all there is a definite second side to this story.

The woman was probably agitated on the street. She then pulled out another person's ID and gave it to the cop. Now, I'm no expert, but I can guess just how often the cops are given a fake name/address/ID because the person has done something wrong and doesn't want to get caught. On top of that, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to have an expired ID, nor are you supposed to be carrying someone else's.

So the woman gave the cop the wrong ID, he called her on it and kept it. Have any of you ever tried to use a fake ID at a bar and had it not work? Do they usually give it back?

At this point she probably became even more agitated. Her dead sister's ID just got taken away, she's been in a fight of some sort, and she's probably not too happy. I'm guessing this didn't impress the cop. He probably tried asking her some questions, but in her agitated state she was trying to get her sister's ID back. The cop probably then decided to take her in to answer some questions and get this straightened out.

Up to this point I'm basically guessing, but it's probably fairly accurate. After she got to the jail I'm not really sure what would have happened. It was probably an escalation on both sides that led tho this. She's freak out, the cops would respond, this would get her more agitated, and she'd freak out some more, then the cops would do something more drastic...

The start of the video had her handcuffed and pinned on the bed screaming bloody murder. Take a look at the cop's face who is on top of her, holding her down. Does it look like he's having fun? Does it look like he wants to be there? Does it look like he's really forcing himself onto her? It looks to me like he's using just the right amount of force to keep her subdued. Meanwhile, she's still going batshit crazy. The strip search was probably to see if she had any illegal substances/weapons on her. Why it was performed with guys in the room, no one can really say. Maybe some women tried before and couldn't?

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Wow. Mother F-ers, I actually hope some vigilante justice meets them with equal or less restraint.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Appropriate punishment for the cops involved :

Place them in a cell with several powerful inmates, and mixed genders, while they are handcuffed behind the back and stripped of all their clothes. Leave them in a cell alone for 6 hours. Then fire them, take their pensions, and put misdemeanors on their records.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Too bad the lady wasnt black, or those cops might have gotten away with it. Don't they learn nothing from the academy? You don't harm white people.

Dumbasses.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: amdhunter
Too bad the lady wasnt black, or those cops might have gotten away with it. Don't they learn nothing from the academy? You don't harm white people.

Dumbasses.

Yeah, that shit won't fly with an Ohio jury. The judge, DA, etc might be hopelessly corrupt, but when the citizens on the jury see that video and hear that evidence, it's all for sh*t. The smartest thing the department could do to save its ass on this deal is to cut the losses now and fire those fuckers, up to the decision-makers on this deal. Add to that, Sheriff is an elected position, any opponent can use this case to shit-can him next term.