Woman Gets Forcibly Stripped In Jail

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
look when people get taken into custody and they think they are innocent they can flip out. the trauma of being treated like a suspect is stressful and a deep personal insult. i'm sure she went from crying to attacking an officer at some point.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
But cops can resonably detain someone if they don't know what happened in a situation until they can determine if they have enough evidence to hold someone longer or must let them go. A lot of times it's a safety issue - you roll up somewhere and have no idea what's going on - you've got a couple people involved and you can't just take them at their word. Cuff em, seperate them, and speak to them one on one - it's pretty standard and sometimes quite necessary to ensure the safety of officers and others.

If I was cuffed and I knew I didn't do anything wrong, I would be upset of course, but I would try to remain calm and cooperate with the officers. Screaming at them and letting it escalate from you doing no wrong to you commiting a crime (assault on an officer of the law) will do you no good. And I would imagine that is somewhat what happened in this case. But again, we don't know for sure - all we see is this sensationalist news media piece.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Originally posted by: JLee
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Remember, kids, the police are here to help. Just be a good citizen and do what you are told, and everything will be ok.

Most cops are good cops...

I don't care if they are good or not... they have too much power. At the same time, people are increasingly told to rely on the police for any and all disputes. I'd rather see the entire trend reverse.

I don't need a good cop telling me what to do, either.

You know, I once went 65 mph on a 55 mph road. A cop pulled me over and told me to slow down a bit. I know, douche baggy of him to tell me how fast I should go.

The police shut down a sweet 16 in my area because 14 and 15 years olds were going into a bar and the older kids were giving them drinks. There were also hard drugs being used rampantly. People were also arriving drunk out of their minds and they were vomiting. The neighbors complained that they were being rowdy, and the cops had to shut them down. I know, the cops were abusing their power. I mean its just alcohol and drugs.

The fact of the matter is, Cops have power to do things that are necessary for our security. Oh sure, there the saying "those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" but just because some dead guy said it doesn't mean its completely true. Cops are there as a deterrent, of course people say that a deterrent automatically means a police state where the government rule based on fear.

What do you insist they do? Play nice and give them little beloved patriot hammers? If a guy is being uncooperative, they should have the power to restrain them. A guy who does no wrong should not be resisting. And don't give me that innocent until guilty bullshit. Being restrained does not mean guilt. It just means that the police may have some reason to suspect you.

Most cops are good. They genuinely want to enforce the law. Its the 1% of cops you hear about that are plastered all over the news

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: 13Gigatons
It wasn't a strip search, they claim she represented a danger to herself. I've heard they take your belt and shoe laces but they don't hold you down and strip you.
If her hands were bound, how could she be a danger to herself?

It's pretty hard to remove your shoes or belt with your hands bound behind your back.

In no way defending what took place in the video but in answer to your question regarding harming yourself while cuffed that woman that was handcuffed to a bench in the Phoenix airport holding room last fall managed to kill herself when left alone in the room for 20 minutes.

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: OdiN
But cops can resonably detain someone if they don't know what happened in a situation until they can determine if they have enough evidence to hold someone longer or must let them go. A lot of times it's a safety issue - you roll up somewhere and have no idea what's going on - you've got a couple people involved and you can't just take them at their word. Cuff em, seperate them, and speak to them one on one - it's pretty standard and sometimes quite necessary to ensure the safety of officers and others.

If I was cuffed and I knew I didn't do anything wrong, I would be upset of course, but I would try to remain calm and cooperate with the officers. Screaming at them and letting it escalate from you doing no wrong to you commiting a crime (assault on an officer of the law) will do you no good. And I would imagine that is somewhat what happened in this case. But again, we don't know for sure - all we see is this sensationalist news media piece.

The complaint is about how the woman was violently stripped naked for no apparent reason, and in the presence of men, at that.

Even if we assume that the situation warranted detainment and the removal of her clothing (yeah, right), there is absolutely no excuse for a member of the opposite sex to participate.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Venix

The complaint is about how the woman was violently stripped naked for no apparent reason, and in the presence of men, at that.

Even if we assume that the situation warranted detainment and the removal of her clothing (yeah, right), there is absolutely no excuse for a member of the opposite sex to participate.

I never said that the strip search was handled properly - but look at how she was acting - do you think that just a couple female officers could have done it by themselves? If they thought she was a danger to herself, I can see them doing that - but then leaving her sititng for 6 hours...no.

Not saying that everything that happened was right or wrong, but the problem is that we are only show a brief bit, over-hyped and sensationalized by the media - we don't get to hear or see the whole story - the media gets to make up its own mind, and therefore the minds of all the sheep who watch.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That's fucked up no matter which way you look at it. I hope the cops all lose their jobs.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: NFS4
That's fucked up no matter which way you look at it. I hope the cops all lose their jobs.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

police work can look f*cked up if you edit the tape to just show what happens after it goes to sh*t. the selective footage just doesn't smell right.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

police work can look f*cked up if you edit the tape to just show what happens after it goes to sh*t. the selective footage just doesn't smell right.

How much editing do you need to show that a 125 pound woman has her hands handcuffed behind her back with seven people in the room, included 2 men while she is being stripped?

Take the two men out of the equation and it would still be a fucked up situation. But them there just makes it worse.

And the fact that the two men were the last to leave the room only makes is even more disturbing.

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002
I never said that the strip search was handled properly - but look at how she was acting - do you think that just a couple female officers could have done it by themselves? If they thought she was a danger to herself, I can see them doing that - but then leaving her sititng for 6 hours...no.

Not saying that everything that happened was right or wrong, but the problem is that we are only show a brief bit, over-hyped and sensationalized by the media - we don't get to hear or see the whole story - the media gets to make up its own mind, and therefore the minds of all the sheep who watch.

The "whole story" is irrelevant. There is never any excuse for a man to participate in stripping a woman. This is a basic human right.

I might make an exception if the woman had a snuke in her snizz, but that's about it.

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002

If several female officers cant contain that little woman they shouldn't be cops. What are they going to do against a man then? lol

Now if she were like 300lbs maybe I could see your point.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: se7en

If several female officers cant contain that little woman they shouldn't be cops. What are they going to do against a man then? lol

Now if she were like 300lbs maybe I could see your point.

err the more you have the more quickly you can restrain a person without resorting to harsher phsical brutality. many hands holding down limbs is better than a few hands delivering blows. think people.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

How much editing do you need to show that a 125 pound woman has her hands handcuffed behind her back with seven people in the room, included 2 men while she is being stripped?

Take the two men out of the equation and it would still be a fucked up situation. But them there just makes it worse.

And the fact that the two men were the last to leave the room only makes is even more disturbing.

something must have led up to that. i'm just saying, if it were so obvious that it was totally wrong they would have left in the footage that led up to it to bolster their case. cutting like that is usually done to remove footage that makes the incident less inflamatory so they can sensationalize a story. the officers aren't under an obligation to let themselves get injured first to show the person is in a dangerous state of mind.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I would say this started as a drunk and disorderly thing...my guess is that the woman and her cousin were drunk and got into an altercation.

The officer responding handled the situation poorly and once they got her in there the other officers fell into the "gang mentality" type thinking, that is since one or two were handling her this way then it MUST be ok and therefore the others should assist.

is it customary for them to film each person they bring in?

Regardless of why she was brought in, even if she was slobbering drunk there is no reason to treat her like this...period.

Assuming the was blasted, they should have put her in the drunk tank for a few hours and let her sober up. THEN handled the situation.

I do not believe in bs law suits, but if I was on a jury, you would have a hard time convincing me that that there was justification for them to strip her naked and leave here there for any amount of time.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I can't watch videos like this. I would hate for anyone I love to be in that situation. Granted we don't go around getting drunk and fighting but the tape is still disturbing.

In Cincinnati the SOP is to argue that the police reponded correctly off-camera and everything you see in the film is the only proper response to an out-of-control citizen. It works everytime.

There have been many deaths and subsequent lawsuits here. While the criminal suits NEVER work, civil suits and settlements are always in the millions.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
look when people get taken into custody and they think they are innocent they can flip out. the trauma of being treated like a suspect is stressful and a deep personal insult. i'm sure she went from crying to attacking an officer at some point.

She probably first flipped out when the cop didn't give back her dead sister's driver's license. But it sounded like the cop was a dick for not giving it back in the first place.

mattocs

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2005
It's like rape without penetration. I got a laugh out of that, but the stuff is sad.

That is awful, but the only thing they are guilty of is arresting the wrong person. That is what should happen to someones being arrested. If they don't go along with it, they need to be searched while being restrained.