Woman fired for bringing gun to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Employer (a bank) fired a female employee for bringing a concealed handgun to work.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...After-Being-Fired-For-Carrying-Gun-For-Safety

She is suing the bank for violating her rights,
Her lawsuit "says the firing violated her constitutional right to carry arms" and seeks "monetary damages and attorney fees."

This brings up a question, does company policy trump rights? We have a right to carry a concealed weapon. Can a company tell you you can not exercise your rights on their property?

Before you say yes, a company can tell you you can not exercise your rights, what about gay rights, minorities, voting rights,,, and other examples?

If the bank can fire an employee for exercising her right to carry a gun, can the bank fire her for being gay? Yes I know being gay is a protected group of people. But rights are rights.

You already have a thread about company policy versus civil rights here. You can always add this there.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Easily best headline ever. Not only does it point out she is a single mom, but that she was carrying her gun into a bank 'for safety'.

This lawsuit will get thrown out, as it should.

And, no, being gay isn't a protected group of people. Something like 29 states can actually fire you for being gay.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Company means a collection of people.
Government means a collection of people.

The collection of people representing the government has afforded you rights between you and them.

The collection of people representing the company has afforded you rights between you and them.

What one collection has given you does not apply to the other. They are separate entities.

The reason the government can tell the company what to do is because the government allows the company to exist in the first place. For the company to exist, the company needs to abide by the contract between the government and the company.

Which is why you need to file your company with the secretary of state to be a legally recognized company.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
So companies should be able to violate our civil rights?

Sigh.

[url="http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c,2849/]And which civil right do you think you're talking about here?[/url]

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Are you serious? The bank's policy is protected by being considered private property. In fact, in many state's that allow concealed carry, you are already prohibited by state law from carrying a concealed weapon (permit or not) in a financial institution.

I'm a gun advocate and I'm a CCW holder. I wish I could carry near everywhere, but I respect where I can't. I don't even have a firearm in my vehicle if I'm going to be parked in one of my customer's parking lots because it would not in most cases be kosher with their policies or even that of my employer's.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Employer (a bank) fired a female employee for bringing a concealed handgun to work.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...After-Being-Fired-For-Carrying-Gun-For-Safety

She is suing the bank for violating her rights,

This brings up a question, does company policy trump rights? We have a right to carry a concealed weapon. Can a company tell you you can not exercise your rights on their property?

Before you say yes, a company can tell you you can not exercise your rights, what about gay rights, minorities, voting rights,,, and other examples?

If the bank can fire an employee for exercising her right to carry a gun, can the bank fire her for being gay? Yes I know being gay is a protected group of people. But rights are rights.

Yes, a company can tell you that you don't have a right to exercise your 2nd amendment rights on their property. Even moreso if you are an employee.

Case closed.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Are you serious? The bank's policy is protected by being considered private property. In fact, in many state's that allow concealed carry, you are already prohibited by state law from carrying a concealed weapon (permit or not) in a financial institution.

Yes, a company can tell you that you don't have a right to exercise your 2nd amendment rights on their property. Even moreso if you are an employee.

Case closed.

And if the bank refused to serve muslims, jews, gays, blacks,,,,?

Where do you draw the line on what rights can be denied?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And if the bank refused to serve muslims, jews, gays, blacks,,,,?

Where do you draw the line on what rights can be denied?

How many times do we have to go over this? Firearms are not included in public accommodation laws.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Guys, just don't feed the troll. This will go on and on for pages and the OP will never acknowledge crap just post the same dumb ass question over and over again.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Guess she should have kept it CONCEALED.

Pssst...I carry in my bank every day and they don't know it.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Pick a side OP.

You are OK with a pregnant woman getting fired - for voilating work related agreements and policies; http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2367696&highlight=school+teacher

But, you throw a shit fit about being fired over carrying a gun.

So, do you, or do you not respect a business decision/policy?

Sometimes, I think these are his opinions and that he's stubborn. But, when you raise questions like this, I start thinking more and more that he's trolling.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

Is getting pregnant a right?

The church can claim the decision was based on their religious beliefs.

Companies do not have beliefs.

Sometimes, I think these are his opinions and that he's stubborn. But, when you raise questions like this, I start thinking more and more that he's trolling.

Didn't you tell me one time morals and business do not go together?

A company can not have morals or values. Which is why the lady at the church was fired.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Where did she find a lawyer to take this case? They must be hoping for a settlement and that's why they're making the media push.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
ban this troll.

Is that really what you want?

That lady was fired from a religious organization.

The church was upholding its religious beliefs.

The bank has no beliefs to uphold.

You are grasping at straws. There is no comparison between the two.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Is getting pregnant a right?

The church can claim the decision was based on their religious beliefs.

Companies do not have beliefs.

Didn't you tell me one time moral and business do not go together?

It was based on an agreement she made with them - you even linked this, and it clearly states why she was fired; she agreed not to get pregnant outside of marriage. It's an agreement she voilated.

This bank has an agreement with their employees as well - do not bring a concealed weapon to work.

Both are the same. Employees have violated what they agreed on.

Yet, you want an unwed pregnant woman fired, since she represents a "voilation" of YOUR beliefs. When a woman voilates the agreement with her employee, and that violation supports your beliefs, then all bets are off.

You have double standards - which is fine. But, don't expect any support or acceptance of your double standards.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2005
Don't get sucked into the vacuous moronic 'debates' that TH posts as relevant topics. If nobody replies, it just withers and dies on the vine as this rotted fruit of a topic should.

I pledge not to get involved in anymore nonsense that TH posts as it only contributes to the perpetuating of troll like behavior on ATPN.
-SY

Status
Not open for further replies.