Woman convicted of having sex with 16 year old boy granted ASYLUM in Canada

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Actually, you and TH (and some others) are missing an important distinction. The law actually doesn't say he can't have sex, it says that someone else over the age of 25 can't have sex with him until he's 18. If he has consensual sex with someone, he is not committing a crime, but an adult over the age of 25 is committing a crime if they have sex with him at 16 (based on FL law).

In short, the law allows him to control his body and let him decide what he wants to do and who to do it with. However, it places restrictions on adults on what they can do with a minor. Seems very logical, it's just a reflection of the notion that a minor needs to protected from adults.
There you go, bringing logic into it...

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
She wasn't convicted of rape moron, take your shtick somewhere else

I never used the words convicted.

I'm just pointing out that this asylum in Canada is pointless, since the GOP does not recognize rape; I hope she is a registered Republican.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I never used the words convicted.

I'm just pointing out that this asylum in Canada is pointless, since the GOP does not recognize rape; I hope she is a registered Republican.

How about she was never even charged with rape? Rape has nothing to do with it...again your idiocy is showing

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Was she accused/suspected of the act?
Nope...convicted of unlawful sexual activity with a minor...no mention of "rape" anywhere

Your shtick is really getting old, don't you have anything better to do with your time than try to find some way to bash your political opposition?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Uh... the Federal age of consent in America is 16. Most states follow that. Some, like Florida, don't. They have higher ages of consent. Which I think personally is stupid. 16 you are legally able to work, move out your house, and live on your own. Most places you are able to get married without guardian permission and do what you want. We've instead been coddling our children as a nation for far too long.

I think what the lady did in the article was completely and morally repulsive. For cheating on her family, and even contemplating wanting to bang someone that much younger than her. But I don't think it was an illegal act. Yes I know in her area she broke the law, but it is a dumb law in my opinion. Still, she should not have been sentenced to 30 years in prison either. That was definitely cruel and unusual punishment for that "crime" that isn't really a crime in most places in America.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
In short, the law allows him to control his body and let him decide what he wants to do and who to do it with. However, it places restrictions on adults on what they can do with a minor. Seems very logical, it's just a reflection of the notion that a minor needs to protected from adults.

I understand the point you are making and fully agree with you. Minors need to be protected from predators, period.

Advocatus diaboli

What would feminist and pro-choice people say if that same logic was applied to reproductive rights?

Sex and reproductive rights go hand-in-hand.

Yes, you can have an abortion at 16 years old, but the person who preforms the abortion will be charged with a crime.

Yes, you can get the plan B pill, but whoever gives you that pill will be charged with a crime.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Nope...convicted of unlawful sexual activity with a minor...no mention of "rape" anywhere

Your shtick is really getting old, don't you have anything better to do with your time than try to find some way to bash your political opposition?

Even better - there is no such thing as unlawful sexual activity,.. unless it's sodomy of course. GOP doesn't approve of that either.

Also, I take it you have a problem when democrats are bashed too, right? But, I didn't notice any postings by you, wagging your finger at the anti-Obama comments on here.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Uh... the Federal age of consent in America is 16. Most states follow that. Some, like Florida, don't. They have higher ages of consent. Which I think personally is stupid. 16 you are legally able to work, move out your house, and live on your own. Most places you are able to get married without guardian permission and do what you want. We've instead been coddling our children as a nation for far too long.

I think what the lady did in the article was completely and morally repulsive. For cheating on her family, and even contemplating wanting to bang someone that much younger than her. But I don't think it was an illegal act. Yes I know in her area she broke the law, but it is a dumb law in my opinion. Still, she should not have been sentenced to 30 years in prison either. That was definitely cruel and unusual punishment for that "crime" that isn't really a crime in most places in America.
Bold is only partially true, you can work, but with many restrictions including not being able to operate things like a meat slicer in a deli or an industrial dough mixer, just to name a few...and unless you are emancipated you sure as hell can't move out on your own, you can't sign a legal contract (like a lease) until you are 18. Dumb law or not she broke it, knew she was breaking it, tried to blackmail and tamper with witnesses after she broke and deserves every bit of what she gets, including whatever time they want to tack on for being a fugitive

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Even better - there is no such thing as unlawful sexual activity,.. unless it's sodomy of course. GOP doesn't approve of that either.
Idiocy as usual:rolleyes:
Also, I take it you have a problem when democrats are bashed too, right? But, I didn't notice any postings by you, wagging your finger at the anti-Obama comments on here.
I have a problem with anyone who's sole purpose for posting is to bash on the opposing side, attempting to draw any slight correlation between subjects that they possibly can and just generally being a douche...you seem to fit that as do many who post bashing the Dim's;)

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Idiocy as usual:rolleyes:

I have a problem with anyone who's sole purpose for posting is to bash on the opposing side, attempting to draw any slight correlation between subjects that they possibly can and just generally being a douche...you seem to fit that as do many who post bashing the Dim's;)

And yet, you don't go after them.

So, since I am similar to those "who post bashing the Dim's" - why not just ignore me, like you seem to be ignoring them?

Oh, thats right, you turn a blind eye to their actions.

Your true intent is clearly showing - move along jackass.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
And yet, you don't go after them.

So, since I am similar to those "who post bashing the Dim's" - why not just ignore me, like you seem to be ignoring them?
You're still new, arguing with the entrenched idiots is pointless since they're not going anywhere, but just maybe we can get you to leave...I mean if it saves us from just 1 moronic post, isn't it worth it?:p

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
You're still new, arguing with the entrenched idiots is pointless since they're not going anywhere, but just maybe we can get you to leave...I mean if it saves us from just 1 moronic post, isn't it worth it?:p

I'm still new, yet,.. I know there is an ignore feature. I suggest you use it, since you are so bothered by my posts.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I'm still new, yet,.. I know there is an ignore feature. I suggest you use it, since you are so bothered by my posts.

Never, if I ignored all the idiots there'd be no one to talk to:colbert:

Besides even idiots have a nugget of insight now and then, I think the ignore function is for the weak and closed minded

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Her husband is fleeing with her? And their kid?

So the family is okay with it apparently. Kinda weird. But whatever I guess.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Her husband is fleeing with her? And their kid?

So the family is okay with it apparently. Kinda weird. But whatever I guess.

Yeah the kid has lots of friends from it, you know as long as he let's his mom fuck them and all...and the dad gets to screw little girls so it's a win all around:p

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Never, if I ignored all the idiots there'd be no one to talk to:colbert:

Besides even idiots have a nugget of insight now and then, I think the ignore function is for the weak and closed minded

Ah, so it bothers you what is being said, and instruct people to stop (like you have towards me),... but, show no self control of avoiding what bothers you.

You are troll, pretending to be against trolling, while trolling.

Yeah, you matter alright.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
That is uncalled for.
Hardly...if he's supporting her having sex with young boys then who's to say it's not because he likes having young girls?
Ah, so it bothers you what is being said, and instruct people to stop (like you have towards me),... but, show no self control of avoiding what bothers you.

You are troll, pretending to be against trolling, while trolling.

Yeah, you matter alright.
LOL...

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
The victim's sister tipped off police after she once walked in on them having sex.

wtf. i wonder if she regretted being a rat when heard her sister got hammered with a 30 year stint in prison?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Actually, you and TH (and some others) are missing an important distinction. The law actually doesn't say he can't have sex, it says that someone else over the age of 25 can't have sex with him until he's 18. If he has consensual sex with someone, he is not committing a crime, but an adult over the age of 25 is committing a crime if they have sex with him at 16 (based on FL law).

That is a good point, but still - thirty years? At least according to MADD, Florida's possible penalties for causing a death while driving intoxicated range from zero time to a maximum of fifteen years. That disparity is pretty fucked up regardless of how one feels about the act's legality or lack thereof.

http://www.madd.org/laws/law-overview/Vehicular_Homicide_Overview.pdf

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
That is uncalled for.

In Canada, 16 year old females are able to consent to sexual acts.

It's completely uncalled for to call 16 year old males or females, "boys" and "girls".

Mother Mary married Joseph probably around age 13. If it was old enough for our Holy Mother, it's old enough for me.