Woman convicted of having sex with 16 year old boy granted ASYLUM in Canada

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
Canada certainly appears to be.

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia

all of the above have age of consent at 16, same as Canada.

btw, simple assault?

STEEL_BAR_REINFORCING_OMS.jpg

Nov 25, 2013
Facing 30 years in prison, her, her husband and child went to Canada where the woman was granted asylum.

She has *not* been granted asylum. She has applied for asylum. I'd be surprised if it's accepted in the end. Seems like a simple delaying tactic while they try and negotiate better terms with the DA.

Nov 25, 2013
I think the reproductive rights has a lot to do with it.

The government has said young girls should be able to make reproductive decisions without interference from the government or her parents. There was a court decision a year ago or so where the judge ruled plan B pills must be handed out regardless of the girls age.

But yet that same government tells young people who they can and can not have sex with.

Does a young person have the right to control their bodies?

16 year old wants an abortion or plan B, her rights are protected to make decisions for herself.

16 year old wants to have sex with 30 year old, that is against the law.

If a 15 year old girl can consent to an abortion, why cant a 16 year old boy consent to sex with an older woman?

So do we have a right to make decisions for our bodies our not?

Is sex a basic human right? If so, when are we entitled to that right?

Took you too long to get this over to abortion. I expected it at least a couple of posts ago.

You going to tie in gay marriage next?

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
And Canada joins in on the war against men,..

We trusted you Canada,.. you,.. who gave us hockey and strippers,...

{:*-(

Nov 25, 2013
For those who seem to have misunderstood the asylum thing, she has not been granted asylum. She has submitted an application for asylum which the government has accepted for assessment.

It's nothing more than a delaying tactic on the part of her lawyer. They're either negotiating a better deal with the Florida DA or, possibly, figuring out if they can slip off to another country somehow.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Took you too long to get this over to abortion. I expected it at least a couple of posts ago.

You going to tie in gay marriage next?

I thought about bringing up gay marriage/gay sex, since those acts are between consenting adults I feel reproductive rights suits this topic well.

As with the main topics of the thread, 30 years is outrageous. If she would have killed the kid while drinking and driving she would only got half of that.

On the topic of reproductive rights,

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323393804578557971985374446

WASHINGTON—The Food and Drug Administration formally approved an application from Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. to allow the company to sell its Plan B emergency-contraceptive pill without a prescription to anyone regardless of age.

I think there was even a court ruling on the plan b topic?

A 13 year old can get plan B, but she can not consent to sex?

Liberal and womens rights groups keep fighting for a womans right to control her body. So when do those rights kick in?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
For those who seem to have misunderstood the asylum thing, she has not been granted asylum. She has submitted an application for asylum which the government has accepted for assessment.

It's nothing more than a delaying tactic on the part of her lawyer. They're either negotiating a better deal with the Florida DA or, possibly, figuring out if they can slip off to another country somehow.

Try reading:
But now the Federal Court in Canada has decided not to take any further action against Harvey - meaning she can continue the life she has made for herself in Saskatchewan.
k

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
So we're back to trying to draw some perfect age line where a "child" magically turns into a full fledged adult. That's exactly what the laws have already done, but no matter where you draw the line there's always going to be issues. What is the appropriate line, and by what objective measure do you come up with it? Keep in mind that children develop and mature at different rates, so while one 16 year old could be considered an adult, another 16 year old could be far from it.

Different places have tried to handle this by building in an "age differential" qualifier. That approach makes sense to me.

I have thought that the age line from minor and adult should be tied closer to the age that a "minor" can be charged as a adult in a criminal case. To me it is kind hypocritical by the state to have no problem charging a 16 year old as adult for a major crime but then turn around and say a 16 year old isn't mature enough to consent to Sex. :confused:

Nov 25, 2013
Try reading:

She has what is called protected person status which is not the same as asylum. She was initially granted refugee status back in 2011 after she had been arrested by the RCMP. That status was withdrawn in July of 2013. She has now applied (is in the process of applying) for refugee status again.

Right now she is apparently out of jail on bond.

btw, simple assault?

_47110904_47109030.jpg

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
All this outrage over the 30 year sentence may be missing some facts of the case...the article mentions:

Wonder if some of that time relates to blackmail/witness tampering and not just fucking a kid:hmm:
Good catch, but still. Thirty years?

I think we are going down a slippery slope. This may be a path we should avoid.

Lets focus on the sentence, which is what caused the lady to flee to canada.

If she were drunk, ran over and killed the young man, she would not have gotten anywhere near 30 years.

If the young man consented, this is a victimless crime. I know about the law saying he can not consent. A 15 year old girl can consent to an abortion, but a 16 year old boy can not consent to have sex with an older woman?

Where is the victim?

The young man will brag how he banged his friends mom.
Excellent points about DUI and abortion. Seems very odd that at sixteen he can drive but not, um, drive. Unless that's a particularly fat and slippery 47 year old, surely the former represents a much greater danger to the rest of us. Can't ever recall reading that a sixteen year old was screwing his friend's mom when he lost control and struck another mom head on, killing six people.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Excellent points about DUI and abortion. Seems very odd that at sixteen he can drive but not, um, drive. Unless that's a particularly fat and slippery 47 year old, surely the former represents a much greater danger to the rest of us. Can't ever recall reading that a sixteen year old was screwing his friend's mom when he lost control and struck another mom head on, killing six people.

It was either late November or early December 1989 or 1990, a newly married couple was buying their first christmas tree.

A drunk driver ran off the road, through the trees, ran over the couple and killed both of them.

The driver was convicted of involuntary manslaughter, sent to prison, but was out in 6 or 7 years.

That is a true story, but you are not going to find it on the net. I was working in Lake Charles area when the accident happened and when the guy got out of prison.

That driver who killed two people got less of a sentence than the lady in the opening post.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
It was either late November or early December 1989 or 1990, a newly married couple was buying their first christmas tree.

A drunk driver ran off the road, through the trees, ran over the couple and killed both of them.

The driver was convicted of involuntary manslaughter, sent to prison, but was out in 6 or 7 years.

That is a true story, but you are not going to find it on the net. I was working in Lake Charles area when the accident happened and when the guy got out of prison.

That driver who killed two people got less of a sentence than the lady in the opening post.
So he was out in that time, but how long was his actual sentence? The outrage over this is just stupid, she knew what she was doing was illegal to begin with and did it anyway, I don't care how stupid a law is if you break it you deserve what you get...and adding blackmail and witness tampering I'm not surprised the twit was sentenced to 30 years...I also know that if she had the balls to take her punishment like she took a 16 year old dick then she would be out a hell of a lot sooner than 30 years

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I think he got something like 15 years.

So he probably stayed on parole for another 7 or 8 years.
Likely from a plea bargain, something she should have done...oh and not tried to blackmail and tamper with witnesses...seems like the twit made her bed then didn't want to lay in it:p

Further, the point still stand that she would not serve all 30 years

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Likely from a plea bargain, something she should have done...oh and not tried to blackmail and tamper with witnesses...seems like the twit made her bed then didn't want to lay in it:p

Further, the point still stand that she would not serve all 30 years

This is a victimless crime.

35 years for a victimless crime is outrageous.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
This is a victimless crime.

35 years for a victimless crime is outrageous.
Boo fucking hoo...if you don't like a law then get it changed, breaking it then crying about it is bullshit...and wtf are you adding 5 more years?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Excellent points about DUI and abortion. Seems very odd that at sixteen he can drive but not, um, drive.

Actually, you and TH (and some others) are missing an important distinction. The law actually doesn't say he can't have sex, it says that someone else over the age of 25 can't have sex with him until he's 18. If he has consensual sex with someone, he is not committing a crime, but an adult over the age of 25 is committing a crime if they have sex with him at 16 (based on FL law).

In short, the law allows him to control his body and let him decide what he wants to do and who to do it with. However, it places restrictions on adults on what they can do with a minor. Seems very logical, it's just a reflection of the notion that a minor needs to protected from adults.