Woman convicted of having sex with 16 year old boy granted ASYLUM in Canada

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I agree with the asylum ruling. A 30 year term for this is fucking ridiculous when it was a mutually consensual physical relationship where there is no victim nor harm done to anyone.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
  • The boy's guardians have a right to file a restraining order.
  • That should put people on notice, and constituent a crime if violated.
But even then, 30 years? No. How can I not salute Canada for doing the right thing? America needs to learn from nations that have less of a percentage of the population in jail.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Another example of gender double standard. If it was some old creep with a young girl, he'd have been extradited as a child rapist. However, since it was a woman child rapist, she was instead granted full asylum.

I don't think the 30 years makes sense in light of the situation, but still, you have to draw a line somewhere. Is a 30 year old with a 10 year old OK? How about 12? 13? 14? 15? 16? Wherever you draw the line, someone's always going to say it's not right. The law is the law, she's a child rapist, and the Kanukistanis have decided to harbor a child rapist.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
If this was a 47yo man banging a 16yo girl, I would place money on the judgment being different than what this article describes.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Can not rape the willing.

(keep in mind we are not talking about children here, this was a young man she had sex with.)

The state of Florida legally defines a 16 year old boy as a child for purposes of consenting to sexual intercourse. So as far as the state of Florida is concerned him being 16 would be the same as him being 5 from a legal standpoint. And I'm sure had it been say a 50 year old man having sex with a 5 year old girl, we'd totally want that man to spend 30 years in jail. It just happens that in Florida there is no distinction between the two situations.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Can not rape the willing.

Wrong. A minor cannot consent, so they can't be "willing" according to the law.

(keep in mind we are not talking about children here, this was a young man she had sex with.)

Keep in mind this *was* a "child" according to the law. Now if you want to argue that 16 is not a "child" anymore, that's fine, but what then is the appropriate age? If you make it 16, and someone bangs someone who's 15 years and 11 months, 29 days old, you're gonna hear the same thing "hey, what's the difference, in just another day he'd have been 16 and it would be legal!". Wherever you draw the line is up to the people to decide, but once they set that line, you should treat everyone the same under the law, not hand out different punishment for male offenders vs female offenders.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The state of Florida legally defines a 16 year old boy as a child for purposes of consenting to sexual intercourse. So as far as the state of Florida is concerned him being 16 would be the same as him being 5 from a legal standpoint. And I'm sure had it been say a 50 year old man having sex with a 5 year old girl, we'd totally want that man to spend 30 years in jail. It just happens that in Florida there is no distinction between the two situations.

If a man raped a 5 year old, we'd want his head removed from his shoulders.

Consenting teens need to be distinguished from actual children.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
All this outrage over the 30 year sentence may be missing some facts of the case...the article mentions:
After police launched an investigation, Harvey was recorded telling the teen to lie to police and tried to blackmail his sister not to help authorities.

Wonder if some of that time relates to blackmail/witness tampering and not just fucking a kid:hmm:

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
Wrong. A minor cannot consent, so they can't be "willing" according to the law.

Keep in mind this *was* a "child" according to the law. Now if you want to argue that 16 is not a "child" anymore, that's fine, but what then is the appropriate age? If you make it 16, and someone bangs someone who's 15 years and 11 months, 29 days old, you're gonna hear the same thing "hey, what's the difference, in just another day he'd have been 16 and it would be legal!". Wherever you draw the line is up to the people to decide, but once they set that line, you should treat everyone the same under the law, not hand out different punishment for male offenders vs female offenders.

Not that I agree, but different punishments are handed out all the time based on gender, economic standing, race, and age.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
All this outrage over the 30 year sentence may be missing some facts of the case...the article mentions:

Wonder if some of that time relates to blackmail/witness tampering and not just fucking a kid:hmm:

ohh yeah that does change things.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Keep in mind this *was* a "child" according to the law. Now if you want to argue that 16 is not a "child" anymore, that's fine, but what then is the appropriate age?

I think we are going down a slippery slope. This may be a path we should avoid.

Lets focus on the sentence, which is what caused the lady to flee to canada.

If she were drunk, ran over and killed the young man, she would not have gotten anywhere near 30 years.

If the young man consented, this is a victimless crime. I know about the law saying he can not consent. A 15 year old girl can consent to an abortion, but a 16 year old boy can not consent to have sex with an older woman?

Where is the victim?

The young man will brag how he banged his friends mom.

Last edited:

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I had assumed that the other posters RTFA and saw that. Granted, a poor assumption on my part.

I would imagine the sentence took that into account, yes. Its hard to argue remorse in the middle of blackmail and witness tampering.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Consenting teens need to be distinguished from actual children.

So we're back to trying to draw some perfect age line where a "child" magically turns into a full fledged adult. That's exactly what the laws have already done, but no matter where you draw the line there's always going to be issues. What is the appropriate line, and by what objective measure do you come up with it? Keep in mind that children develop and mature at different rates, so while one 16 year old could be considered an adult, another 16 year old could be far from it.

Different places have tried to handle this by building in an "age differential" qualifier. That approach makes sense to me.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
So we're back to trying to draw some perfect age line where a "child" magically turns into a full fledged adult.

What this boils down to who is the predator and who is the prey.

If a 30 year old guy is meeting 12 year old girls, he is a sexual predator.

If a 30 year old woman beds a 16 year old boy, both are equal, as both are looking for sex. Both of them are looking for the same thing, the relationship is mutual beneficial.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Lets focus on the sentence, which is what caused the lady to flee to canada.

If she got 10 years, would she not have fled? Who knows? Also, lets not forget that the sentence was presumably not simply for the act, there was other stuff involved as well (tampering etc).

If the young man consented, this is a victimless crime. I know about the law saying he can not consent. A 15 year old girl can consent to an abortion, but a 16 year old boy can not consent to have sex with an older woman?

Abortion has nothing to do with it. As a society, we've decided that before someone reaches a certain age, we assume that they are not able to make such decision (and consent to certain things) because they are not mature enough. Whatever that age is, at some point you have to set a line.

Where is the victim?

If it was a 40 year old guy with an 8 year old girl, would you say the same? Of course not. So then you're back to trying to draw a distinction based on age. What's the appropriate age?

The young man will brag how he banged his friends mom.

Irrelevant.

Knowing

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2014
I'll just leave this here...and this.

tl;dr- being "lonely" apparently absolves women of all responsibility for forcing themselves upon sleeping boys and then stalking them for 3 months.

Oh, my goodness, how could I have forgotten this.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

What about 13 year old? What about 14? What about 15? etc etc.

I'm sure there are plenty of times a 30 year old could convince a 15 year old to do things and have them both "want" to do those things, but as a society we recognize that the 15 year old is not in a position to make those kinds of decisions (yet).

Back to that age line.... you just can't get away from that.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I'll just leave this here...and this.

tl;dr- being "lonely" apparently absolves women of all responsibility for forcing themselves upon sleeping boys and then stalking them for 3 months.

Yep, this is one of those types of crimes where the gender of the perp makes a huge difference in how the crime is handled or punished.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

If a 30 year old woman beds a 16 year old boy, both are equal, as both are looking for sex. Both of them are looking for the same thing, the relationship is mutual beneficial.

you are a fucking nutcase...

both are sexual predator's. One just has a easier time being successful.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Abortion has nothing to do with it. As a society, we've decided that before someone reaches a certain age, we assume that they are not able to make such decision (and consent to certain things) because they are not mature enough. Whatever that age is, at some point you have to set a line.

I think the reproductive rights has a lot to do with it.

The government has said young girls should be able to make reproductive decisions without interference from the government or her parents. There was a court decision a year ago or so where the judge ruled plan B pills must be handed out regardless of the girls age.

But yet that same government tells young people who they can and can not have sex with.

Does a young person have the right to control their bodies?

16 year old wants an abortion or plan B, her rights are protected to make decisions for herself.

16 year old wants to have sex with 30 year old, that is against the law.

If a 15 year old girl can consent to an abortion, why cant a 16 year old boy consent to sex with an older woman?

So do we have a right to make decisions for our bodies our not?

Is sex a basic human right? If so, when are we entitled to that right?

Last edited: