Woman calls 911 about limping deer in her yard. Cops shoot, take pics with dead deer.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Infection and/or starvation.
Think, Spartan, Think. Why the hell would it starve? It's not a broken jaw. Grass, tree buds, leaves, etc., are NOT going to be able to outrun the deer. Most likely risk to the deer is predation (not sure what predators are around there.) But, in that case, it wouldn't be a lingering death.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Died of a slow and lingering death?
Bullshit. Horses - yes. Deer - no.

I've seen deer that have survived broken legs. One of the guys I hunt with got a deer that obviously had a healed broken hind leg. It's kinda funny that this woman was referred to as a clueless urban dweller, but the majority of people posting also seem clueless. Nonetheless, I have zero problem with law enforcement shooting the animal, provided they donate the venison to a homeless shelter or something. Here's another message board with a lot of people witnessing deer surviving a broken leg. http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=274410

in my case, on my way to work in the morning, when i noticed the deer, it tried to roll over on its side. in the afternoon on my way home, there were crows picking at the corpse.

i'd say that's a pretty crappy (probably painful) way to go.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I just about hit a doe on a rainy night up in the mountains. She was right on the fog line in a curve, laying there. I went back and put my flashers on, and approached her from the back. She was sitting upright, and had been hit a glancing blow by a car before me. I had grown up on a farm and was a little fearless, so I went in and lifted her up away from me really quickly.
She stayed up and limped away into the dark, but it looked like she was moving better with each step.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
BFD...I've had to put three or four down in the last few years. It happens.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Police did the humane thing by killing it, then took photo's that I am sure are needed after they disharged their weapon. This hippie needs to get over it.
God damn liberals and their big government. Now they want the police to account for all of their bullets? Back in my day they could shoot random stuff and didn't need to explain any of it.

And yes you are supposed to shoot injured animals. They generally can't be rehabilitated, so the best you can do is end their suffering. Taking a picture with it and pretending to stick your balls in its mouth are just added bonus.