Woman braindead after being hit by ciclist riding in car lane

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Ciclists don't care, they don't feel the need to follow laws. No doubt they will come in and try to claim that it's safer to blaze along at >30mph through central park.

You should become familiar with Central Park 1st, before you start cooking up expectations, reactions, opinions and thoughts.

Furthermore, you are confusing the through traffic (east to west) with the 6.1 mile loop of biking, jogging, skating, roller blading, horse carriage and rick shaw lanes. Those are two different parts of the park (the 6.1 mile loop has bridges that go over the through traffic,.. it doesn't mix).

The 6.1 miles does have cars,.. but at specific times of the day. And, when they DO show up, they sometimes spill INTO the biking, jogging, skating, roller blading, horse carriage and rick shaw lanes - not the other way around.

I've pulled up to taxis and car drivers (all with NJ plates) at stop lights in the park, and tell them the far right lane (with the solid white bar) is for cars - meanwhile, they are smack dab in the biking lane. This usually happens in the upper parts of the park (100 street or so). There aren't that many bikers that make it up there, so, the cars just go and do whatever they want.

During the hours of when cars are not allowed on the 6.1 loops, yes, we take that lane,.. because cars are not allowed in said loop.

If some biker goes into the through traffic parts of the park (again, east to west), then he/she needs to follow the rules of the road. That part of the park is for cars, always. It is for them to get from one side of the city, to the other, with out having to navigate around or through the 6.1 loop,.. which again, is closed most of the time to them.

So, your complaints of bikers taking over car lanes in Central Park are false.

You've taken this idea of cyclists tossing you out of the road and falsely applied it a part of the world, which you have NO idea about.

Visit the park, understand the difference between the 6.1 mile loop and the through traffic and then decide if there really is a campaign by cyclists in NYC to remove cars from Central Park.

BTW, the loop has stop lights. And, the people who usually do NOT obey them, are pedestrians. Said loop is also 'jay walked' all the time. Pedestrians do not use the crosswalks, they just cross over the bike lane, whenever / wherever they feel like it.

And, when I have the green light, I will zip around the pedestrian who refuse to pay attention to the "Do Not Walk" signal.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Damned thug cyclist!!!!

Good post.

I hope that post was not brought to us by a small government conservative. I do not keep up with who is what in this forum, so just wondering.

I am unable to understand the hate for cyclists on the interwebs. All the hypothesis I would put forth are most unflattering to the haters, so I will refrain. The least offensive I can posit is the Ferris Bueller's sister syndrome. Anyone that has seen the movie should know of that which I speak.

Unconditional love of Charlie Sheen?
5b84ae4c182cc791360f3fa5ccb1db52.jpg

OMG Cycle Thugs wearing hoodies in deep cover!!!

Londo definitely gets it. :D

You know I was certain when I started reading this thread that RaciallyAware was going to take the cake for being the worst human being in this thread. But I have to say, that TreVader has put up quite the showing.

Although I'm not sure it can overcome the OP's continued misspelling of cyclist. :hmm:

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002
Yup. Honk at them to make sure they know you're there. Plenty of videos of these nutters intentionally hitting cars trying to get YouTube famous.

Then when they realize that the video implicates them for insurance fraud they pull the video.

You're such a lying coward. You honk because you want to frighten them and show your disapproval of them riding on the road, not because you care about their safety.

But in case you're really as incompetent as you're pretending to be: Honking at cyclists "to make sure they know you're there" is illegal and dangerous. It will startle the cyclist and confuse other motorists, significantly increasing the chance of a collision. Learn how to drive.

Still waiting for even a single video showing a cyclist intentionally ramming a car.

Sep 7, 2009
You're such a lying coward. You honk because you want to frighten them and show your disapproval of them riding on the road, not because you care about their safety.

But in case you're really as incompetent as you're pretending to be: Honking at cyclists "to make sure they know you're there" is illegal and dangerous. It will startle the cyclist and confuse other motorists, significantly increasing the chance of a collision. Learn how to drive.

Still waiting for even a single video showing a cyclist intentionally ramming a car.

I couldn't care less about the safety of a ciclist on a two lane road designed for cars.

I care about the safety of myself and my family, and these unpredictable loons have a habit of swerving into the middle of the lane without looking.

It is not illegal and not dangerous. He'll your brethren have come on here saying they like getting a wake up honk before someone passes them as they furiously pedal uphill holding up traffic.

Illegal to honk at a ciclist... Lol

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Not necessarily. Depends on the distance you have to stop. Especially if he had a green light and pedestrian jaywalked into a car lane he was in.

Technically there were no cars on the road when this incident happened at 4:30PM. Central Park's West Drive is only open to cars weekdays from 8AM to 10AM. Therefore those street lights are nullified without cars on the road, and bicyclists must yield to pedestrians at crosswalks. So a cyclist having a green light no longer seems to mean much.

In fact, according to the Central Park Conservancy website...
http://www.centralparknyc.org/things-to-see-and-do/attractions/bicycling.html

"Pedestrians have the right of way at all times. At crosswalks, cyclists must slow down, yield to pedestrians and then proceed cautiously......Cyclists are required to obey all traffic laws, such as traffic signals, stop signs, and the maximum speed limit of 25 mph. The Drives are multi-use areas and can be very congested on weekends and nice days. Cyclists are required by law to travel at a slower safe speed in response to crowd, emergency, or weather conditions."

And yeah, Jason Marshall's own Strava page has him hitting top speeds of 35.6mph throughout West Drive, well above the park's 25mph speed limit. I'd actually be surprised if charges aren't eventually brought against him.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Technically there were no cars on the road when this incident happened at 4:30PM. Central Park's West Drive is only open to cars weekdays from 8AM to 10AM. Therefore those street lights are nullified without cars on the road, and bicyclists must yield to pedestrians at crosswalks. So a cyclist having a green light no longer seems to mean much.

In fact, according to the Central Park Conservancy website...

And yeah, Jason Marshall's own Strava page has him hitting top speeds of 35.6mph throughout West Drive, well above the park's 25mph speed limit. I'd actually be surprised if charges aren't eventually brought against him.

Strava isn't calibrated to be proof of anything, plus it doesn't prove he was speeding at the time.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
He is screwed. I can't wait to see the legislation from this, "Jason Marshall laws"

Get ready:

Policeman_with_radar_big.jpg

Law saying what? It's already against the law for bikers to speed. Unless it's on a downhill section, it's going to be a giant waste of a cop's time to sit around waiting for a biker to go over 25 mph, much less 35 mph speed limit in most areas. They'll pull over a few thousand cars before they pull over one biker. Plus even if they give a ticket to the bicyclist, the first thing he or his lawyer will demand in traffic court is proof that the radar detector was calibrated to work on cyclists, and can distinguish a biker from a car in the background.

Last edited:

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
He is screwed. I can't wait to see the legislation from this, "Jason Marshall laws"

This is only the second killing of a pedestrian by a bicyclist in New York in the last five years. So I doubt such a rarity will create any precedent, but it might just raise awareness about bicycle and pedestrian safety in Central Park.

But yeah, Mr. Marshall could be charged with reckless manslaugher if this woman dies.

To reiterate....

No permit is required to bike in Central Park, however there are several laws and rules that every cyclist must obey: Pedestrians have the right of way at all times. At crosswalks, cyclists must slow down, yield to pedestrians and then proceed cautiously.

According to many witnesses, Mr. Marshall never slowed his bicycle or exercised any caution.

As for determining the recklessness of this cyclist, Central Park Conservancy installed surveillance cameras all throughout the park. It's possible that video evidence from that day could be pulled if a criminal case does go to trial. The Tarlov family already has an excellent wrongful death civil case against the cyclist.

Oh, for those who feel bad for poor Jason - and not the victim - you can show your support here.
https://itunes.apple.com/in/album/overt-negritude/id272979169

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
He should be charged with whatever a driver would be charged in similar situation. Which is nothing, unless he was drunk or left the scene of the accident.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
She passed away.

The cyclist, Jason Marshall, told police he was traveling about 8 or 9 mph upon impact, which is extremely contrary to eyewitnesses reports. Doctors told police that it looked as though the victim was struck by a car, not a bike.

From Mr. Marshall's official statement, he doesn't appear to have any remorse only sadness, “I am deeply, deeply saddened about the accidental collision that I had with Ms. Jill Tarlov last week and her subsequent passing. Please know that this was an unavoidable accident. I extend my deepest sympathies to Mr. Wittman and his entire family. Since the day of the accident, I and my family have been in constant prayer for her and her family. This is the deepest of pain. It is the deepest of tragedies.”

Right now no criminal charges have been filed, but police are still investigating. I just hope Mr. Marshall is preparing himself for the likely civil case suit against him, for what he defines only as an "unavoidable accident."

Nov 25, 2013
The cyclist, Jason Marshall, told police he was traveling about 8 or 9 mph upon impact, which is extremely contrary to eyewitnesses reports. Doctors told police that it looked as though the victim was struck by a car, not a bike.

From Mr. Marshall's official statement, he doesn't appear to have any remorse only sadness, “I am deeply, deeply saddened about the accidental collision that I had with Ms. Jill Tarlov last week and her subsequent passing. Please know that this was an unavoidable accident. I extend my deepest sympathies to Mr. Wittman and his entire family. Since the day of the accident, I and my family have been in constant prayer for her and her family. This is the deepest of pain. It is the deepest of tragedies.”

Right now no criminal charges have been filed, but police are still investigating. I just hope Mr. Marshall is preparing himself for the likely civil case suit against him, for what he defines only as an "unavoidable accident."

You should be writing for the NY Post as they've been holding a rope in their collective hand since the accident happened and the above looks to fit right in.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
You should be writing for the NY Post as they've been holding a rope in their collective hand since the accident happened and the above looks to fit right in.

The NYPD leaked most of the information about Mr. Marshall's actions to the press. For the NYPD to uncharacteristically release the name of the driver (and confiscate his bicycle as evidence) must mean charges are pending. Usually they only identify the deceased in such cases and relieve the driver of any criminality. Take up your grievances with them.

Nov 25, 2013
The NYPD leaked most of the information about Mr. Marshall's actions to the press. For the NYPD to uncharacteristically release the name of the driver (and confiscate his bicycle as evidence) must mean charges are pending. Usually they only identify the deceased in such cases and relieve the driver of any criminality. Take up your grievances with them.

Really, write for the Post.

Sep 7, 2009

What does his statement have to do with the NYP? How about staying on topic.

The best part - "unavoidable accident..."

You can guarantee that the VP husband is going to run him through the wringer.

Why are these ciclists speeding through parks anyway? Isn't there a velodrome somewhere? Many, some in this very thread, are supporting this clown for going 35+mph in a public park. I think it's dangerous. They need to be insured and tagged if they want to go that fast.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The NYPD leaked most of the information about Mr. Marshall's actions to the press. For the NYPD to uncharacteristically release the name of the driver (and confiscate his bicycle as evidence) must mean charges are pending.
Or they are a bunch of fat donut munchers who resent more fit bikers. Or racists. If they single him out for extra persecution compared to motorists, they better have a damn good reason for it, or they will be on the spot to explain why. They will have environmentalists, bike enthusiasts, and civil rights people asking those questions.
Even NY Post is reporting that out of 754 pedestrians killed in NYC in last 5 years, only 2 were killed by bicycle collisions, about a quarter of a percent.

Sep 7, 2009
Or they are a bunch of fat donut munchers who resent more fit bikers. Or racists. If they single him out for extra persecution compared to motorists, they better have a damn good reason for it, or they will be on the spot to explain why. They will have environmentalists, bike enthusiasts, and civil rights people asking those questions.
Even NY Post is reporting that out of 754 pedestrians killed in NYC in last 5 years, only 2 were killed by bicycle collisions, about a quarter of a percent.

lolol

Dec 10, 2005
out of 754 pedestrians killed in NYC in last 5 years, only 2 were killed by bicycle collisions, about a quarter of a percent.

If only those drivers had been tagged and insured. Those pedestrians would have still been killed or injured, with "no criminality suspected" in most cases.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

The "damn good reason" is the simple fact of how it's exponentially harder to kill someone with a bike than a car. Mass times velocity ring a bell?

Whether those who killed the other 752 pedestrians with motor vehicles should be prosecuted is an entirely different discussion. If gross negligence or wanton disregard was involved then they should be prosecuted. OTOH if you are going fast enough to kill someone on a bike, that's pretty much gross negligence on its face unless the pedestrian did something completely and ridiculously negligent themself which no reasonable bicyclist could have foreseen.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The "damn good reason" is the simple fact of how it's exponentially harder to kill someone with a bike than a car. Mass times velocity ring a bell?

Whether those who killed the other 752 pedestrians with motor vehicles should be prosecuted is an entirely different discussion. If gross negligence or wanton disregard was involved then they should be prosecuted. OTOH if you are going fast enough to kill someone on a bike, that's pretty much gross negligence on its face unless the pedestrian did something completely and ridiculously negligent themself which no reasonable bicyclist could have foreseen.

Why would going fast enough to kill someone on a bike be any different than going fast enough to kill someone in a car? Sounds like singling out of bicyclists for persecution to me. From your mass times velocity argument, someone in a car should go much slower than cyclists to offset their higher mass, and someone in a truck should be barely moving.

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Exactly how fast do you need to be going to kill a 59 year old woman?