Question Wolfenstein Youngblood-No save game ?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
WTF--how to save a game ? There is no save except when level/mission is completed ? So I spend hours fighting, to die at that point a,nd there is NO game saved except at the first of the mission ? I will shrug off this game entirely unless I can avoid having to replay most missions several times.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Interesting, that the monologue above avoids any mention of why, in fact, the developer failed to provide a pause/quicksave /regular checkpoint system in the game. Why design like this ?

"Wolfenstein: Youngblood you don't have an option to create your own manual or quick saves. Even if you pause the game and go to the options menu, you won't find a command to create a save in the list. Campaign progress is automatically saved when the mission is completed.

Additional note: If both sisters die, you will return to the beginning of this stage. Then, you are forced to play it again. This is not a mistake, but a deliberate penalty for your failure."

Yeah, I'm gonna deliberate penalty this game right up their credit card--REFDUND PLEASE.

Reactions: KeithP

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
I am getting this game when it is going to be $5 or less too many reviews say it is bad. Are they trying to finally kill Wolfensteisn series?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Disclosure: I've only played TNO and TOB but it's weird to see the devs lose sight of the gameplay that made the first two games so much fun to play so quickly.

Sounds like TNC had some laggy mouse acceleration issues that made gunplay frustrating and now YB seems to have this shoehorned co-op aspect to it, with the entire game built around the assumption that you will be playing with another human, not an AI.

I typically have enough time to game in 1 hr chunks sporadically. If I'm not making forward progress in a game it begins to feel more like a chore than a way to relax and have fun. Sounds like YB might not be for me unless they patch in functional AI and a save system at some point.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Gameplay is generally fun and OK , weapons and music are too, graphics are enormous. OTOH, the kill system is weak, taking way to much effort on unupgraded weapons. Then certain guns kill this bad guy but not another, and there are more add-on features than you can shake a stick at . Way too complicated for me. Back in the day we had single fire pistols. Sheesh ! ( in fun, one of the terminals on a shelf plays the floppy disc version of an early FPS.) Cool.

You could love the action but purchasing upgraded player features with in game silver? I smell a new revenue stream to come.

AND the no save policy ? There's got to be a reason for it. Someone predicted that "save tokens" will be available for $1 each.

Nice. In any event, that's a "no-game feature" for me.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I am getting this game when it is going to be $5 or less too many reviews say it is bad. Are they trying to finally kill Wolfensteisn series?
Why get it at all? Developers and publishers just look at overall sales to determine if a game is a success and if the features were working or not. This is why EA still regards Battlefront 2 as a huge success despite all the backlash and refunds that occurred. Developers and publishers (especially the bigger ones) don't give a damn what anyone says. They only care about one thing - money. Don't vote by screaming at them on Twitter because they pay people to respond and not care about what you say, but their investors are watching their overall sales like a hawk watches a field mouse.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm playing through the old blood game now on PC and then going to Wolfenstein 2. I was considering trying this new one but if there is no quick save feature, I will wait for a big sale. I don't have a lot of time to game lately.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm playing Youngblood now. There are checkpoint saves as there are in Old Blood. They aren't as frequent but the shared life thing helps mitigate that.

weedyapl

Aug 3, 2019
Um is this game is stupid. I played for at least 30 mins but didn't complete first mission cause i have to head out in a minute, i'm assuming i got near end. Exited went back in cause i had a feeling it didn't save the game and i'm back at the start... Its 2019 ffs? i can see the tape icon flashing up all the time when i leave an area u would think that would be the save but its not. 30 mins of time wasted in just one session of playing this game. Imagine all the time you will lose playing the full thing.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm playing Youngblood now. There are checkpoint saves as there are in Old Blood. They aren't as frequent but the shared life thing helps mitigate that.
The main story line seems to have check point saves but the side missions don’t and they can be quite extensive.

May 11, 2008
The checkpoint save is a bit dissapointing. But acceptable.
It would be nice if there was a console command to enable a normal save and load menu.

I am playing the game now. I am not that dissapointed as when reading the reviews.

The game allows for upgrades of the person and the weapons, collectables, and hints.
I kind of like it.

I am not really a co-op person, so i do get annoyed sometimes but i have that with every game with a co-op mission with a scripted team mate.
If you play this game with 2 persons, i am positive it is a lot of fun.

The double jumps are nice.
I have set everything to uber, ultra or high and my system gets easily +100fps which i cap to 60 because of v-sync.
Because i hate tearing. Some people prefer tearing and fast game play over eye candy.
Well, i just want a crisp image so i prefer eyecandy. I am not fast enough to respond every 16,66666 milliseconds anyway.
Of course, motion blur is off. I let my eyes generate the motion blur. I hate computer generated motion blur.
When the character move fast enough, my eyes have motion blur on their own.
Never understood motion blur. I hate it.

The game looks fantastic, real time light and shadows and with the double jump you can jump on anything you like.

I am now looking into getting the startup videos disabled, because they annoy me.

edit :
This seems to work.
https://www.naguide.com/wolfenstein-youngblood-skip-intro-movies/

In steam :
Right click on game -> properties -> set launch options -> add “ +com_skipBootSequence 1"

Or

1) Browse and open Steam\steamapps\common\Wolfenstein Youngblood\base\bink\boot
(right click on Wolfenstein Young Blood – > properties – > local files tab – > browse local files)

2) rename or relocate boot_pc.bk2 (example = boot_pc.bk2bak)

3) Load instantly without waiting for unskippable movies.

The instantly means : It results in a black screen for 5 or 6 seconds before the menu appears.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm playing the wolfenstein Colossus game now and I like it a lot. It's really responsive and I have it running on the highest settings. You have to be quick with reflexes though because it gets hectic.

The presentation is nice as well. I'll probably pick up Young blood after I'm done with this one. Colossus also uses the checkpoint save system but I think it's frequent enough.

May 11, 2008
I found out yesterday that some parts are really hard. Then i discovered that when the skull appears next to an enemies power bar, i am not strong enough to defeat them.
It is a bit like the game destiny. You need to build up experience next to all the body upgrades and weapon upgrades to be able to defeat them.
It is fun.
Game looks marvellous incredible. Real time lighting.
Some people complain about crashes on the forum. The game is rock stable for me even before the update/ patch issued 2 days ago.
Always keep in mind that some people might be pushing their system too hard with overclocking while gaming. That can be a cause of games crashing.

But yeah, the side missions do not really have a lot of checkpoints. You really need to finish them at once it seems to me.
Perhaps, a work around is to use the metro system to transport back and forth. Perhaps then the current situation is saved.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm playing in single player mode.

When your sister tells you you're not ready to take something on, it's the same as swimming out to sea in Far Cry; the game will kill you.

May 11, 2008
B
I'm playing in single player mode.

When your sister tells you you're not ready to take something on, it's the same as swimming out to sea in Far Cry; the game will kill you.

Me too.

I find it annoying when i try to take a headshot, she starts standing in front of me.
But that is an issue i always have with a scripted team mate in all first person shooters.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Ah the arrogance of devs...why do you hate your customers?

I dont have much time to sit down and play for hours because you decided on my behalf how long I should play in order to progress in your game. News flash, your customers aren't all under 18.

Also, it crashes after a while...which means you have to restart your damn current mission. yay! Who doesnt love replaying the same mission 5+ times.

Too bad, pretty good game otherwise.

Reactions: Thunder 57

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The game play is a bit too much like Wolfenstein 2009 where you go back to the same areas over and over to complete side missions and you have to fight your way through more or less the same batch of enemies each time you pass through an area. It gets redundant.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I will get this installed this weekend, it came free with the 2060 super. This is a co-op game 100 percent. Army of 2 was a terrible game but a good time in co-op. My friend and I kept tweaking our load outs until we both had the perfect setup to compliment each other. Hopefully this game is the same way. Going to co-op with him. Then if any of you want to team up, I will be stoked to play with you. Gears of War was another I played co-op from the get go, and it definitely is integral to the full enjoyment of the game. Playing on the hardest settings, picking the right load outs to handle everything between you, deciding who gets ammo and when, etc. = good times.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Patch 1.0.5 is out now. It is supposed to add checkpoints and re-balance the game play. I haven't tried it yet.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Just finished the game with the new patch.

Prior to this patch, the final boss would send you from 200% health and armor to dead in two shots, on "Daddy can I play?" mode. It was ridiculous. With the patch, difficulty levels are about what you'd expect.

The AI for the sister is improved somewhat. She doesn't do much but act as a cheering section but prior to the patch she would stand out in the open and get her ass kicked. If she dies, you lose so you had to expend a lot of health and armor protecting/reviving her.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Raytracing now active for reflections. I didn't see much difference other than stuttering, tearing, and low frame rates and giving my fans a good workout (i9700 + 2070 Super @ 4K ultra). Backing off to 1080 calmed the fans down and eliminated the stuttering.