wolfdale @ 6208mhz on Liquid Nitrogen

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Is it even 1 min Prime stable though?? I highly doubt it is.

Did the Asus Commando even allow the FSB to get that high?

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
he says he's attempting to do superPI at 6300mhz. And no they don't care about prime stable. the prime stable numbers for an e8500 are same as an e8400 (4.3ghz, maybe 4.4ghz max) on sub-zero might be like 4.6-4.7ghz?

Maybe.

narreth

May 4, 2007
holy crap can that processor even run for a week without burning out at 2.04 V?!

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
This is like drag racing...

These high runs are just for showing the work can be done at these speeds.

Asking to use this for everyday computing is like asking someone if they drive a top fuel dragster to work every day. ;)

There's someone in OT that may, but I'll leave that alone. ;)

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: narreth
holy crap can that processor even run for a week without burning out at 2.04 V?!

At the liquid nitrogen temperatures they are using, yes it is quite plausible to operate a CPU and not have chip-kill.

The question to be asking is whether or not running a computer for a full week on liquid nitrogen cooling is possible. The answer is no, it's not very probable at all.

You'd probably burn thru about $500 of LN2 per week IF you setup the plumbing and everything to allow continuous topping off.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: narreth

At the liquid nitrogen temperatures they are using, yes it is quite plausible to operate a CPU and not have chip-kill.

The question to be asking is whether or not running a computer for a full week on liquid nitrogen cooling is possible. The answer is no, it's not very probable at all.

You'd probably burn thru about $500 of LN2 per week IF you setup the plumbing and everything to allow continuous topping off.

The real question is: how many FPS does this get? :D

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: nerp
The real question is: how many FPS does this get? :D

The video card is reported to be "VGA Matrox Millennium PCI"...not exactly a FPS monster.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Awesome to see. I've noticed these suicide benchmarks with extreme cooling lead what's obtainable by using mainstream parts by about 18-24 months.

6 ghz mainstream overclocks by 2010? Yes please!

p.s. Nitromethane is a bit too flaky, unstable, toxic and just plain dangerous to use in a daily commuter. Get in a wreck with a tankful of that stuff and... well. Probably federal prison time, or a fine with enough zeroes to cure the US federal budget deficit. At least an extreme OCd PC won't kill the user and bystanders in a big yellow fireball. =) The analogy is otherwise apt -- top fuel dragsters are fuel cooled. There are no water passages in the block or heads, no radiator, and not enough surface area for air cooling. Truly a short lived one-trick pony just like a suicide benchmarker rig.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
1GB of ram? and that video card? and not stable? and non continuous operation due to need to top off liquid nitrogen?

This is a nice... no not nice... this is just an interesting showcase but pretty useless overall.

Now show me a 100% stable OC that runs on only electricity and with a modern video card and 4GB of ram... that would impress me.