Woke up crazy pain in eye

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sze5003, Jan 25, 2013.

1. sze5003

sze5003 Lifer

Woke up this morning couldn't open my left eye. Felt like I got stabbed with a needle in front of the eye and an odd pain in behind the eye. Took a while to get to work to a point where I could open it and see. It still hurts now but vision is slightly blurry. Not sure if I can go to an optometrist today or the ER. But I know I'll just wait for hours in the ER.

Anyone have anything like this ?

2. disappoint

disappoint Diamond Member

No but I wouldn't be at work or posting online if I did! I'd either be in ER or urgent care center. You only get 1 set of eyes! They are kind of important. And by kind of I mean VERY! Well to me at least.

3. sze5003

sze5003 Lifer

Yeah I use tapatalk on my phone. My pm wants me to work if I can or just go if I really need to.

4. disappoint

I think you need to if its as bad as you describe. if its nothing you might be back to work the same day, if its serious you'll be glad you wont be back same day

5. sze5003

sze5003 Lifer

I was looking to schedule an appointment with an optometrist as I think I'm feeling a little better and bluriness is slowly going away. I'll get some eye drops in the meantime.

#5 sze5003, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  6. disappoint

Ok, hope it goes away soon.

7. Saint Nick

Saint Nick Lifer

Ocular migraine? I've had those a couple times and they suck. Usually marked with a bright flashing streak in your eye, though.

8. sze5003

sze5003 Lifer

No this was like someone poked you in the eye directly. Now it was just twitching a bit but my vision in it is not blurry anymore. I'll have to get an appointment though as its still painful.

9. Sust

Sust Senior member

10. sze5003

sze5003 Lifer

I thought so but I haven't gotten any big headaches. The closest to a headache that I experience is about a 5 second shot of lightning on the side and back of my head.

My mom was a doc so I asked her and she said an optometrist won't help they are for eye exams and glasses but an opthomolgist would be more helpful. I'll have to schedule an appointment.

I've been using clear eyes to help soothe the eye but it feels very dry and weird. Still has pains. Hopefully it's nothing bad. I need my vision or I would be out of a job lol.

I haven't got anything in the eye I'm very clean its strange I just wake up and feel as if I've been stabbed in the pupil.

11. Murloc

Murloc Diamond Member

lol an optometrist is no doctor indeed.

12. Java Cafe

Java Cafe Senior member

You need to see an ophthalmologist! Soon.

13. sze5003

sze5003 Lifer

Seems like my eye hasn't been bothering me since Saturday so I can wait a little before seeing the doc but not sure.

14. VulgarDisplay

VulgarDisplay Diamond Member

Some type of eye infection. Probably pink eye. Anyone fart on your pillow recently?

Seriously though, you have an eye infection.

15. Jeffg010

Jeffg010 Diamond Member

16. sze5003

sze5003 Lifer

Nope didn't have a popped blood vessel. It's been fine since. The clear eyes helped. I don't feel like spending money at the ophthalmologist.

17. AznAnarchy99

AznAnarchy99 Lifer

Trust me, I did the same and in the end had to shell out the $35 bucks for an ophthalmologist after the optometrist gave me the wrong medication and made my eyes worse.

18. vertika

vertika Member

Hey you should try for urgent health care its too serious.

19. indoguju

indoguju Junior Member

You guys seriously think going to an optometrist is not wise? My optometrist actually diagnosed me correctly. Better then an ER doctor. Maybe the optometrist you went to just got his credentials from university of pheonix or whatever lol. They are eye doctors they know there shit. Anyways what you have is a tear on your epithelium. Usually caused by dry eyes due to a lack of humidity or fluid in your eye. So when you initially blink upon waking up the eye tears a part of the epithelium. This tissue takes about a day or two to repair. However you must see either an optometrist or an ophthalmologist. Depending on the severity they
    may put a contact lens on and antibiotics. But yeh bashing an optometrist? C'mon now.

20. sze5003

sze5003 Lifer

Well it's better now. I got some eye drops and it healed itself. I'm not saying an optometrist won't be good but since my mom was a doc she did recommend an ophthalmologist because I did mention small flashes and stuff like that. I got better sleep and kept using my eye drops and it feels a lot better now. Spending a lot of time on a pc won't help either.

21. Dave2351

Dave2351 Junior Member

If you injured your eye before, deep scratch or puncture like corneal abrasions then months or years later you could have recurrent corneal errosion which typically presents while sleeping, causing extreme pain in the previously injured eye and temporary blurring or double vision.

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

22. sze5003

sze5003 Lifer

When I was younger around 7 or so I would get poked in the eye a lot playing outside. Figures that's why it could have happened this time. Hmm anandtech has an app now ?