woe is me....

dbcrossfire

Sep 3, 2001
maybe not a cases and cooling cry for help, but I need to post everywhere i can.

I'm a computer building newb and just finished setting up the computer that is in my signature. Only I'm having problems with the power switch, I push the button and nothing happens, also the lights around the switch (power, hd, etc.) don't light up.

Second, I have a prophet 2 agp card, the card is good, I had it in a older computer, when I go to power everything up there is no display, my moniter just sits there with the signal test on it. I can turn the computer on using the switch on my power supply and everything sounds like it is powering up, the dvd has it's lights on, the dragon orbs are on (oh god believe me they are on) the hd has its little whirr to it, all the case fans are on. Did I do something wrong?

(also, the board used is a tyan tiger (s2460) dual amd board.)

Thanks in advance...

dbcrossfire

Sep 3, 2001
I just tried installing my old voodoo 4 into the new comp, nothing. Please help!

EDIT: maybe no power to the mobo... any way to check?

whalen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
Uhhh...i may be wrong about this, but don't you have to have a special power supply for those dual tyan boards? If so, sounds like that is your problem.

dbcrossfire

Sep 3, 2001
.... I don't believe so... the website says the board accepts standard atx power supplies.

"The Tiger MP S2460 accepts a standard ATX-style power supply . However, the P/S must be able to supply a minimum of 30A on the 5-volt line. Many 300+ watt power supplies on the market today are capable of this output. "

thats right from their website.. I have an enermax 431w psu... should work.

(shaking head)figured out the power switch and lights problem.... yea, the jumpers are numbered for a reason.

Still having a problem with the vidcard.

Maybe I cooked the cpu's, do they start smoking when that happens? bad mobo? (mobo can be though, the cpu fans are plugged into it and they fire up, and the switch and lights are plugged into it and they work... or could it be?)

RyanB18

Aug 23, 2001
I think I know the problem but I'm not sure. Is your power switch, reset switch, power light, hdd activity light plugged into the mboard? This is what popped into my mind when I read this post.

dbcrossfire

Sep 3, 2001
yea, they are all plugged in, and all of them work now, I had them backwards on the jumper... still, need help with the vid prob... any ideas are welcome!!! Please!!!

optimistic

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I had a problem with video once. Elminated all possiblilties, but still geting no video on my monitor. It turned out to be another card I installed in the system that was causing all the problems. A SuperVoice 56k modem, was somehow preventing my video to not show up?:confused:

Morale of story, try removing all unnecessary cards and then add them back one by one. Maybe one of them are having conflicts with your video card.