Woe is me, mobo dying

Hlafordlaes

May 21, 2006
Well, my trusty Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA is aging rapidly. The IDE channels (one drive per IDE channel) are flakey, regardless of overclocking or other settings (drives disappear not only in Windows, but make weird clicking sounds at boot (one drive per IDE channel)).

[I think I may have damaged the board when testing a special version of XP MCE that was intended for very specific HW. It made the mobo and drives literally moan during the 15 minutes I tested an XP->MCE mod from Wincert a coupla months back.]

So, given my super-low budget, I was thinking of picking up a JW-X48D2-EXTREME, since I can drop in my DDR2 and still get the X48 chipset, and can get the board locally (Spain). The board has all the bios and other features I seek, but comes with an 8-pin 12v connector on the mobo. My PSU only has a 4-pin connector. If not for that, I could drop in all my current components and make it a go.

I am guessing not, but is there a workaround for this (4->8-pin adapter)?

tomt4535

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2004
You can plug in the 4 pin connector in the 8 pin socket and it will work fine. I cant find anything in the manual of that motherboard about it, but I have done it in the past on other boards and it works fine.