WMD Thread: Find the WMD Game - Winner gets 14K Trophy 10% profits and a Barrel of Oil

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boran

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
what the libs can admit is that Saddam himself fits the description of a "weapon of mass destruction"

we have therefore found a weapon of mass destruction in iraq...end of case

a rather childlike way of getting out of this discussion imho.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Why are we so worried about the people of Iraq when we are letting threats to the US go ignored by all but the BBC?

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by: yellowperil
spending billions of taxpayer dollars to capitalize the country and give all the lucrative contracts to your friends.
I wish you ingorami would stop babbling about the whole Haliburton nonsense. Even $100 million is a DROP IN THE BUCKET compared to what the irresponsible administration did to harm Haliburton and most other industrial companies in the country. It's still a SEVERE net loss for Haliburton.

kandarp

Platinum Member
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: magomago
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Ok, finished ousting Dictator in Iraq now, time to head to the next Country with a Dictator and WMD. Nearest one is North Korea, right?

Nearest would be

left turn iran
right turn syria.

BUt my guess is we will apply diplomacy in those areas for now.

Charrison- I think the map you are looking at is a reflection in the mirror ;)

haha i was just about to point that out...then i figured that the US probably invaded from Turkey so from there perspective it would be left=iran and right=syria........lol

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Turkey explicitly disallowed US troops to use their country as a staging ground. They wanted to conquer and slaughter the Kurds without the US messing things up by trying to keep the peace.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Today's News conference, Bush said the Re-Election Campaign has not begun yet.

He also said Weapons Of Mass Destruction was used on Saddam's own people which is good enough reason to go to war.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
what the libs can admit is that Saddam himself fits the description of a "weapon of mass destruction"

we have therefore found a weapon of mass destruction in iraq...end of case
Right, that's why that fisking Liberal George H W Bush took him out when he came to town and then abandoned those he excited to revolt. A whole family of mass killers.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: LunarRay
I don't think the word "England" was used in that context. Their missle capabilities were less than 800km as I understand it and more like 300 km max.

THat's true. I guess he wasn't addressing the english people aferall. He was really letting the threat be known to the Iranian and Kuwaities.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Today's News conference, Bush said the Re-Election Campaign has not begun yet.
Yeah, the $110mil in his campaign coffers is going to feed hungry children in Afghanistan.

He also said Weapons Of Mass Destruction was used on Saddam's own people which is good enough reason to go to war.
Hmm, curiously it wasn't good enough for Reagan or GHWBush . . . not to mention the first two years of Bush, the Lesser.

Bush also stated his administration has a "strong dollar" policy. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA . . . I almost wrecked my car with that one.

When asked about the DPRK's real WMD . . . Bush basically went . . . "ole".

Not to stray too far OT but Bush also stated someone in his administration has a plan to reduce the deficit by 50% within 6 years(?) . . . it's great to have an ambitious and intelligent President.
rolleye.gif

wacki

Oct 30, 2001
There are people suffering under worse oppression in North Korea, and possibly in China and dozens of other countries. North Koreans are being starved and slaughtered right now. If humanitarian concerns were really the reason why we spent all this $$ and soldiers' lives, and another $87B to rebuild Iraq, then we should be starting another war in North Korea now.

The whole WMD spiel was to try and convince everyone that the war in Iraq was necessary. Almost no one objects to war when there's an imminent threat and you're fighting to defend your homeland. What is much less popular, however, is starting a war for 'humanitarian' reasons and stirring a hornet's nest, and then spending billions of taxpayer dollars to capitalize the country and give all the lucrative contracts to your friends.

If you read Niccolo Machiavelli's "The Prince" you will understand why Iraq would have to be freed for "humanitarian reasons" before North Korea. It's much easier to liberate a country from a tyrant that used to know what freedom was, like Iraq, then to liberate a country, like North Korea, that has never tasted freedom. Going to war with North Korea would be a very dirty process involving great loss of life, even if the deaths were only on one side.

The US has also, because of the Iraq war and our newfound credibility in the threat department, been able to get China to put a leash on North Korea with diplomacy and not war!

And no the WMD "spiel" wasn't a fallacy. We found numerous weapons and ballistic missiles that were in violation of UN sanctions. We also found numerous dual use facilities that could produce WMD's at a moments notice. Greenpeace is also trying very hard to stop Iraqi people from using radioactive barrels, that used to contain yellow cake, as water storage containers. So no, we haven't found a large quantity of illegal arms. But all of the factories and precursors were there and ready to go into production at a moments notice.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: wacki
There are people suffering under worse oppression in North Korea, and possibly in China and dozens of other countries. North Koreans are being starved and slaughtered right now. If humanitarian concerns were really the reason why we spent all this $$ and soldiers' lives, and another $87B to rebuild Iraq, then we should be starting another war in North Korea now.

The whole WMD spiel was to try and convince everyone that the war in Iraq was necessary. Almost no one objects to war when there's an imminent threat and you're fighting to defend your homeland. What is much less popular, however, is starting a war for 'humanitarian' reasons and stirring a hornet's nest, and then spending billions of taxpayer dollars to capitalize the country and give all the lucrative contracts to your friends.

If you read Niccolo Machiavelli's "The Prince" you will understand why Iraq would have to be freed for "humanitarian reasons" before North Korea. It's much easier to liberate a country from a tyrant that used to know what freedom was, like Iraq, then to liberate a country, like North Korea, that has never tasted freedom. Going to war with North Korea would be a very dirty process involving great loss of life, even if the deaths were only on one side.

The US has also, because of the Iraq war and our newfound credibility in the threat department, been able to get China to put a leash on North Korea with diplomacy and not war!

And no the WMD "spiel" wasn't a fallacy. We found numerous weapons and ballistic missiles that were in violation of UN sanctions. We also found numerous dual use facilities that could produce WMD's at a moments notice. Greenpeace is also trying very hard to stop Iraqi people from using radioactive barrels, that used to contain yellow cake, as water storage containers. So no, we haven't found a large quantity of illegal arms. But all of the factories and precursors were there and ready to go into production at a moments notice.

Those weapons were found before the war by the UN.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
12-17-2003 Find The WMD Game

It may sound like the game has a political subtext ? a satire of the hunt that has thus far found no real WMDs in Iraq. If no one finds the trophy by Election Day 2004, Messer will send the gold and the barrel of oil to President Bush.

But Messer said he has no agenda. He calls himself "a slightly liberal Republican" who believes there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, but he's not sure if America will ever find them.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: cheapbidder01
Originally posted by: LunarRay
I don't think the word "England" was used in that context. Their missle capabilities were less than 800km as I understand it and more like 300 km max.

THat's true. I guess he wasn't addressing the english people aferall. He was really letting the threat be known to the Iranian and Kuwaities.

If your point is - what's the point in including that information in a dossier laying out the UK's reasons to go to war since it has no bearing on our national security ("mobilised" being something like the actual language used). I'm with you.

It was counter-productive IMHO as it showed that Saddam was not in a position to threaten us. Couple this with the fact that some of the ideas (Uranium anyone?) layed out in it had already been dismissed as untrue - and it has little to no credability left. It just says "Saddam is a bad man".

Cheers,

Andy

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
12-17-2003 Find The WMD Game

It may sound like the game has a political subtext ? a satire of the hunt that has thus far found no real WMDs in Iraq. If no one finds the trophy by Election Day 2004, Messer will send the gold and the barrel of oil to President Bush.

But Messer said he has no agenda. He calls himself "a slightly liberal Republican" who believes there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, but he's not sure if America will ever find them.
You sound like another traitorous Bush Hater. If you hate Bush you must be a Traitor..at least according to the Hysterical UC's who post here.;)

Maybe Clinton scared Hussien so much that he actually destroyed all the WMD's