WMC - spacebar driving me crazy

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
Is there any way to change or override the shortcut keys in Windows Media Center?

The major issue is when I pause the show I'm watching, then come back to it I instinctively press the space bar. Due to some sadistic prick at Microsoft, WMC decides that I must want to go back to the previous channel. This wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't lose everything that was just recorded on the channel I was watching! :colbert:

I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 and a Logitech keyboar and mouse with SetPoint installed (maybe there's a Logitech utility that I can use?). If I have to switch to to XBMC or Plex I will, but I'd rather find some way around this spacebar nightmare and stick with WMC since it works fine with HVR-1600 and I only use it to watch Live football.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
I don't think you can undo the default key mappings, other than having an add-in intercept them. For example, you could install DTBAddin and DVRMSToolbox, and set it so the space key is assigned to toggle commercial skip (even though you don't really have any commercial scanning set up?), or to closed caption toggle, and it will intercept the key before media center does anything with it.

The other work-around for accidental channel changes is to basically record everything you watch. If the channel is set to record, when you switch back to it it will start where you last watched.

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately DVRMSToolbox uses Themida to package it, so that's not an option I'm comfortable with.

Does WMC have the ability to always record what your watching? I can't find an option for that and I know I won't remember to press record when I'm watching something, which is not often.

I started setting up XBMC and NextPVR, but it's such a hassle trying to get it working right and getting all the channels named and ordered (it's not even detecting FOX via the scan) that I just can't be bothered. I'd end up spending more time attempting to get it working well than I'll end up using it over the next year.

I think I'll get another keyboard to use with WMC and rip off the spacebar.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
You could just get a remote?

I've seen them for $8, or often bundled with the Hauppauge tuners.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I love the spacebar feature. Does anyone have a list of the other wmc hotkeys?

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
There are a lot...

Some are listed here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/windows-media-center-keyboard-shortcuts

A few off the top of my head missing from that list:

# ctrl-F (or # then skip forward) -- skips ahead # times the SkipAheadInterval specified under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\VideoSettings # can be more than 1 digit, but the timing is rather tight, so if you pause too long in typing the # and forward key you are likely to end up changing the channel instead.

# ctrl-B (or # then skip backwards) -- skips back # times the InstantReplayInterval (specified under same registry key)

4 1 1 ctrl-D (or 4 1 1 info on remote) -- brings up debug info showing frame rate, codecs being used, bitrate, etc.

ctrl-B/ctrl-F or skip backward/skip forward in the guide = 12 hour jumps.

up/down arrows while watching TV - brings up miniguide

left-right arrows while watching TV or video = brings up a window on the bottom where you can change audio & closed caption language, change zoom settings, etc.

delete (with a recording selected) - delete that recording.

generally the info button on remotes (sends ctrl-D) does the same thing as right click in most of the WMC interface. There are context menus under that from the guide, or for a selected recording, etc.

OK button on remote twice quick from the guide (or I guess double click/enter/space)? - record series instead of just the one showing.

I learned a bunch more today from thsi thread on TGB:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5711&p=57846&hilit=fastforwardrates#p57846

Also, I'm sure you noticed there are multiple fast forward speeds (4). Most people hit the FF button at least twice to start with, because why would you want it just barely fast forward..... The slowest FF speed when watching locally is 1.4x. Audio will continue to play at that speed, so you can watch an hour show in under half an hour between that and commercial skip. Unfortunately the audio during fast forward works only locally, not on extenders.

Last edited: