WMC changing EPG providers, check your schedule

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
My series recordings got all messed up, and some series aren't being recorded with the message that it will be recording tomorrow even though I want it on both days. I've seen posts where people had success by resetting MC, but I think I'll just reinstall the OS.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 1999
I think it's more that we're guinea pigs. Rovi is the same EPG provider for the XBone. So we're getting all the bugs and hassle before the XBone's DVR goes goes live. Mine still hasn't even changed over yet but it's still updating and I've got info for about 10 days out from Zap2it.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
A lot of people are having guide problems but my guide looks fine, it's just when I want a daily news show (whose description doesn't change from day to day) it shows the exclamation mark saying it's recording on another day!

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
A lot of people are having guide problems but my guide looks fine, it's just when I want a daily news show (whose description doesn't change from day to day) it shows the exclamation mark saying it's recording on another day!

It took me a long time to realize that an update schedule within MC Tasks and Setup was even called for. Nowadays, my MC-functional systems update and optimize almost daily.

I haven't noticed any problem with the Guide, or Scheduling, or much of anything else.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
mine still hasn't rolled over yet. have up to this sunday on the old guide still.

Oct 16, 1999
I'm getting:

DOWNLOAD FAILURE: The new TV Setup data could not be downloaded. The existing data, if available, will be used as you continue through TV signal Setup.

when I try. If it's still not worked itself out by the weekend I guess I'll try mucking with it more or just move on.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
I'm getting:

DOWNLOAD FAILURE: The new TV Setup data could not be downloaded. The existing data, if available, will be used as you continue through TV signal Setup.

when I try. If it's still not worked itself out by the weekend I guess I'll try mucking with it more or just move on.

You might want to keep tabs here.
https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback
With your problem some have had success by giving MC a different zip code during setup. It's a real mess on a live product.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Also, apparently any extenders (360) that are not connected to your network with a wired ethernet connection are having extreme lag in the guide screen. Something to do with the show or movie images being much larger in file size than with previous provider. Even happens with MOCA connected extenders.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
No obvious OTA problems in Los Angeles on Win8.1. My Zap2it guide finally ran out today, so I forced the update and ran the TV setup. It found two possible OTA listings in my area, and 189 channels (!). Were internet channels always in the guide? I don't remember seeing things like "internet TV - Sports" in the guide channel listings, but I really don't run the setup often.

I'm expecting problems with series recordings due to other posts on various forums. I'll wait and see what happens, and maybe delete everything and start over with the series.

Fingers crossed!

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
No obvious OTA problems in Los Angeles on Win8.1. My Zap2it guide finally ran out today, so I forced the update and ran the TV setup. It found two possible OTA listings in my area, and 189 channels (!). Were internet channels always in the guide? I don't remember seeing things like "internet TV - Sports" in the guide channel listings, but I really don't run the setup often.

I'm expecting problems with series recordings due to other posts on various forums. I'll wait and see what happens, and maybe delete everything and start over with the series.

Fingers crossed!

I've worked on the series issue for a while. No amount of resetting is going to fix it. It turns out that for series to work properly the "OriginalAirDate" field must be populated (it's in a show's details next to runtime). If that field is empty, the daily series will not record (it should be copied from "AirDate"). Only Rovi Can fix this. I've contacted them and MS with these details...

You are also missing descriptions for many shows and guest listings for shows like The Tonight Show, and also there are no star ratings for movies.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So you're suggesting that even if my series are currently showing as "will record," they might not actually record? I only looked through the next few days, but they appear to be flagged for recording and I have not touched the existing series recording - I only re-ran the WMC setup.

I'm not terribly concerned about show descriptions or stars. If they record when scheduled, I'll be happy for now.

I'll know more tonight, I guess. A few previously-set series are scheduled to record.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
I'm no programmer but a line like this in the code would fix the series issue:

If "OriginalAirDate" = " " copy "AirDate" > "OriginalAirDate"

Maybe I can setup something in Access.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
So you're suggesting that even if my series are currently showing as "will record," they might not actually record? I only looked through the next few days, but they appear to be flagged for recording and I have not touched the existing series recording - I only re-ran the WMC setup.

I'm not terribly concerned about show descriptions or stars. If they record when scheduled, I'll be happy for now.

I'll know more tonight, I guess. A few previously-set series are scheduled to record.

Just on most daily news series (I have a news-junkie in the house). If there's an "OriginalAirDate" they should be OK.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Here's what I mean:

Bad:
9yDCGrZ.jpg

Good:
XQr4csk.jpg

The ability to printscreen in WMC is enabled by adding a 32 bit DWORD "EnablePrintScreen" with a value of "1" in this key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Video\

It's great for catching all those funny moments and even works on protected channels.

XpucqOR.jpg

(c) Sony

Last edited:

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I can confirm that my guide is also missing the "original air date" for news broadcasts. I don't record any new programs so this will not affect me.

As a workaround for you, you might be able to record specific timeslots via the "add recording" function. Recorded TV > Add Recording > (either) Wish List or Keyword (or) Channel and Time.