WMC 7 and hard drive spin up time.

benwood

Feb 15, 2004
I'm running out of hard drive space on my HTPC which uses Windows 7 Home Premium x64. I want to add a 4 bay external drive case in order to get more space. But the external case I want to use spins down the drives after a period of inactivity and there's no way to change this behavior. So if WMC7 tries to record to a drive in this case it may take several seconds for the drive to spin up. Can WMC7 tolerate this or will it cause problems?

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If this turns out to be a problem, you can always add a second recorded TV location on the external box, and have recordings moved there after they are finished.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
It shouldn't be a problem.

You can set WMC to record X minutes of buffer time before and after the show. All you'll miss is a few seconds of the previous show.

westrock2000

Dec 25, 2012
If you wanted to be real fancy you could get a small 64GB SSD and record to that, then have a windows scheduled task (a batch file) that runs every night at midnight that moves the contents of that drive to your big drives.

If you know the files are going to be less then a couple gigabytes total then you could use Ramdisk and set aside several gigs of memory as a drive and write to that and then again move everything off of there. I do this for re-encoding stuff when I dont want to put IO hits on the drive, or as a temp drive for Audacity.