WL leaks list of facilities "vital to US security"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Louisiana Offshore Oil Port

You can add in the entire Port Fourchon/Grand Isle area as they are pretty much the same thing.

I doubt that was a secret. I've heard Louisiana mentioned numerous times in various News articles/reports regarding the importance of it for Oil. As for what to do, much of it can be rerouted elsewhere, such as through Canadian Ports, possibly Mexican, as well as other US Ports. It certainly wouldn't be near as efficient, but again it would be a temporary setback.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I don't know about the rest of you, but I TOTALLY trust the government to keep my medicals records private.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I doubt that was a secret. I've heard Louisiana mentioned numerous times in various News articles/reports regarding the importance of it for Oil. As for what to do, much of it can be rerouted elsewhere, such as through Canadian Ports, possibly Mexican, as well as other US Ports. It certainly wouldn't be near as efficient, but again it would be a temporary setback.

You know very little about the subject if you think that is the case.

Jun 26, 2007
how does running a plane into a building = destroying a snake anti-venom factory? people are far more concerned with getting planes run into them because of 9/11 because it showed our vulnerability here in America....if a snake venom factory in Australia gets blown up no one here will freak out about all of a sudden getting bitten by a snake...

Don't get too hung up on one small detail of a load of documents, my point was that policy has been changed to where you now have no rights as a citisen if you are a suspect of terrorism.

It could be the underground, or a train, or any plane, or even a large building, it doesn't matter, what matters is that you are subjected to anything the government wants to do because you accept that it's for your own safety.

Osama won.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I would bet taking out the LOOP wouldn't be that darn hard (albeit you wouldn't do it with passenger jets) and that would royally fuck us economically.

Everyone knew about the LOOP long before these leaks, though. It seems the vast majority of these locations are pretty much "no shit."

Classified information is supposed to be need to know and compartmentalized. Having one list with all of the information and then given millions access to it violates these concepts. But the government does not do a good job of enforcing security rules and neither do companies entrusted with data.

Jun 26, 2007
Everyone knew about the LOOP long before these leaks, though. It seems the vast majority of these locations are pretty much "no shit."

Classified information is supposed to be need to know and compartmentalized. Having one list with all of the information and then given millions access to it violates these concepts. But the government does not do a good job of enforcing security rules and neither do companies entrusted with data.

It points out weak spots, direct targeting is quite hard to do without extensive research, the fucktards just handed it over on a platter.

The "weak security standards" are fucked too, there is no way in hell that one man could have forwarded this information, there are several paid sources in the dealings here, perhaps there needs to be a leak on wikileaks too?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It points out weak spots, direct targeting is quite hard to do without extensive research, the fucktards just handed it over on a platter.

The "weak security standards" are fucked too, there is no way in hell that one man could have forwarded this information, there are several paid sources in the dealings here, perhaps there needs to be a leak on wikileaks too?

Not sure what you mean by "The "weak security standards" are fucked too." I am sure there are multiple sources, but that doesn't mean the government actually does a decent job of protecting that information.

If this one wire actually had critical security on hundreds of targets, it should've never had all been put into one document and that document should've never been given to a million people. I am guessing this document wasn't classified above confidential.

I haven't read the leak itself, but I haven't seen any article or post that talks about anything people don't already know about. This almost seems like the list DHS put together of the potential terror targets in the US, that included flea-markets.

Jun 26, 2007
Not sure what you mean by "The "weak security standards" are fucked too." I am sure there are multiple sources, but that doesn't mean the government actually does a decent job of protecting that information.

If this one wire actually had critical security on hundreds of targets, it should've never had all been put into one document and that document should've never been given to a million people. I am guessing this document wasn't classified above confidential.

I haven't read the leak itself, but I haven't seen any article or post that talks about anything people don't already know about. This almost seems like the list DHS put together of the potential terror targets in the US, that included flea-markets.

Actually, i'm fairly sure that Wikileaks leaks on who the donators are would tell you quite a bit who the people leaking are, of course, that is confidential information and not disclosed.

I'd bet £500 that there is an Iranian connection to this, because from what i've seen, it's one stat that nothing has been leaked about.

Of course, people are far more willing to sell out their own nation than to actually see that what might seem to be an objective truth might not have anything at all to do with the objective truth.

People are suckers for information they are so willing to agree with.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Actually, i think he's correct on this one.

I used to work in the oil field, matter of fact I worked out of Port Fourchon for a good part of that so I know a bit about the subject.

We simply do not have the infrastructure to replace it. Period. Full Stop. End of story.

Even if we did have another port to offload the ULCCs and VLCCs, which we don't (arguably we could rig something up in a few months) all of that oil still has to go...... wait for it.... to Port Fourchon to be distributed to the refineries. If you offload it in Canada (not sure if they are capable either) then how to you get it to the refineries in Louisiana/Houston without going through Port Fourchons distribution network? Or did we pick up a shit ton of extra refining capacity in the last few years that I missed? Same thing goes with Mexico. What about the extremely large portion of Nat Gas that comes from the Gulf? There is NO other way to get it anywhere without those pipelines? Where do you "import" that from and how do you get it to the power plants? Heating oil can be shipped in I guess but that would take quite a while to set up. Oh, what about all of that oil that is produced in the Gulf? How do you get it from point A to point B?

I hate to tell ya but a well planned and executed attack on the LOOP and Port Fourchon of which access isn't an issue (I can walk/drive/boat to almost all of it) would cripple our energy infrastructure in a way that we simply can't replace in any quick fashion. Hell, don't yall remember what happened after Katrina? Most of the infrastructure was relatively unharmed and it still caused gas shortages. We are talking about NO gas in the matter of days, not expensive gas or long gas lines but none.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

I guess that was kinda my point. Just like the LOOP everyone already knows about most of those targets. I do agree that its a really bad idea for a single list to contain them all but its nothing that you or I couldn't have figured out with google.