With all this talk about poker..........

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
What books would you recommend? I'm thinking of picking up Hold'em by David Sklansky.

Cheers,
Aquaman

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
I'm reading Tournament Poker now. Its good so far. Lots of games explained in there.

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003
Doyle Brunson's Super System
is the one book that all the pros recommend....Of course he wrote it and then had to change the way he played cause everyone was and is still using his style.....

:beer:

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Ogg
is the one book that all the pros recommend....Of course he wrote it and then had to change the way he played cause everyone was and is still using his style.....

Where you just watching the ESPN World Series of Poker? :)

Cheers,
Aquaman

goldboyd

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Aquaman
What books would you recommend? I'm thinking of picking up Hold'em by David Sklansky.

Cheers,
Aquaman

That's kind of a vague question. What are you looking for exactly? The answer is going to depend on the game(s) you play and the limits (or lack of limits).

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: goldboyd

Cheers,
Aquaman

That's kind of a vague question. What are you looking for exactly? The answer is going to depend on the game(s) you play and the limits (or lack of limits).

Low Limit Hold'em :D

Cheers,
Aquaman

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: goldboyd

Cheers,
Aquaman

Low Limit Hold'em :D

Cheers,
Aquaman

well then you want one of my favorite books: Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones

-Ameesh

SuperMachoMan

May 24, 2002
Winning Low Limit Hold-em by Lee Jones is an excellent book for beginners.

Most of the stuff by Sklansky/Malmuth (Theory of Poker, Hold-em Poker for Advanced Players) is also very good.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
bought my brother Hold-em Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky/Malmuth and the Super System by Brunson

both are very good reads. I picked up a few things just flipping through them.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I also recommend books by Mike Caro, specifically his book on Poker tells and poker psychology.

All the recommendations so far have been good though.

Rob

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Entity
I also recommend books by Mike Caro, specifically his book on Poker tells and poker psychology.

Rob

Wouldn't that book be a bit advanced for a beginner?

Cheers,
Aquaman

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Entity

Rob

Wouldn't that book be a bit advanced for a beginner?

Cheers,
Aquaman

Caro's book of tells is pretty much THE book for tells. But learn how to read the betting and the table b4 looking for tells. Walk b4 you run I say.

The sklansky book is excellent, but it doesn't always apply if you're not playing against adequately skilled players. Else reading the table won't work because we all know the players who bet completely randomly and sklansky heavily relies on reading the table.

BaboonGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
How about a book for High Limit Hold'em :D

Cheers,
Aquaman

lets not get too eager now. first you must master low limit hold em before you can even think about high limit. don't want to lose all your money in one hour do you?

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: BaboonGuy
How about a book for High Limit Hold'em :D

Cheers,
Aquaman

lets not get too eager now. first you must master low limit hold em before you can even think about high limit. don't want to lose all your money in one hour do you?

Actually I was talking to one of my poker buddies and he said that we actually play high limits hold'em :Q

I thought we played low limits but I guess I am wrong :(

Cheers,
Aquaman

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
The following is an e-mail I got about the kind of limits we play:

All,
A little Sklansky perhaps? Or Jones? Anyway, limits are measured in terms of the ratio between the ante/blind and the maximum bet we can have in one round.
In most games, there is a limit to the number of raises allowed in a round, and the amount that can be raised. Some games are strict in only allowing that amount to be raised.
However, the way we play, the maximum bet we allow is "all in" the cheapest player. This makes us high limit, most of the time, except when someone's on the brink of going out.

Cheers,
Aquaman

new2AMD

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Ogg

Where you just watching the ESPN World Series of Poker? :)

Cheers,
Aquaman

LMAO...i thought the same thing when I read it.

I play no limit games around town. Usually 20-30 players. Tournament style. Try finding something like that once you get the basics down. This way you pay one set price and dont get cleaned out. You can learn alot.

I hate playing with people who dont know enough to fold a mediocre hand when theres a large hand draw on the table. then they out draw you cuz the felt they can get the card on the river. when they do they feel like geniuses and you want to choke them. (thats just me venting having lost to pocket 6's when there were 3 spades and 2 kings on the board(before the river) and the guy called me and got the 3rd 6 on the river to beat my ace high flush.)