With all due respect, I can't help but ponder..........

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
the concept of "real", vs realistic, on an internet forum.

(Jean, if you really are who you have presented to be in our dialogues, then I am assured you can accept MY perspective in an open-minded way that will not offend)

There is only one character/personage on this board, besides myself, that I know exists in a real sense as the person they portray behind the name. That is FiddleDD. I know the person behind the name because I was married to her for over 3 years, and have personally witnessed her typing on here under that handle.

Other than that. I know nothing about anyone else behind their name.

I hope that those who I have come to respect, like, love, admire, etc., are the same behind the name in real life.

Just because other names bear witness to another being real does little to change my perception. Unless I have met you face to face, I will never know who you really are.

I conduct myself here based on a faith similar to the one I have in a spiritual sense.

warcleric

Banned
May 31, 2000
I actually have something to say instead. Who cares if the person behind the nickname and the text is real? As long as they contribute and try in their own way to make these forums interesting. Like you stated, we will not ever meet these people face to face, so what difference does it make if they are not who they say they are. Some people use the internet as an escape fromreality and I can appreciate that, its fun to role-play sometimes, and I just interact with whatever character they are pretending to be. The only place I have a problem with it is in FS/FT because then my money is involved, everyone that does anything in that forum should be completely upfront about themselves.

TripleJ

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2001
<<I conduct myself here based on a faith similar to the one I have in a spiritual sense.>>

Cool, I'm God. :) ;)

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000

<< Who cares if the person behind the nickname and the text is real? As long as they contribute and try in their own way to make these forums interesting. >>

In a way, you have a very valid point. Contribution is important. However, look at the whole nowheremom fiasco. Her &quot;death&quot; affected and saddened everyone. People don't like to be fooled. They like to think that the face behind the handle is real, just as they are/should be. We're dealing with people, emotions, and hearts. This forum is a community, the least we can do for one another is be honest about ourselves. We may have our disagreements and our good times and bad, but at least we'd have them as we are and not behind a mask.

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
I used to be concerned about people believing I was real; but now I don't care anymore

hungrypete

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2000
i agree with the 'who cares' guy. It's not like I'm going to be sending you checks.... after all the bleeding heart pranks, I don't trust anyone I meet on a forum :) But it really doesn't matter. I am whatever you say I am.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
You do not necessary know the &quot;real&quot; person even if you meet them face to face. Agree?

ultravox

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You can be lied to even face to face. I personally take everyone for face value unless proven otherwise. Why should I doubt people, if I'm proven to be wrong as has happened recently, who is the real loser in that situation? I can still walk with my head high and all my self pride but the one who was not fothright with me must bear the shame of being branded a liar. I refuse to live my life with the premise that everyone is fake until they prove otherwise. So far I have been proven wrong only once.

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
Fishy,

I would have to say that I agree with your opinion, but there is no reason WHATSOEVER for some jerks to make references such as &quot;she's a man,&quot;, etc. There is no reason for that sort of conduct. I'm sure you agree. She is complaining because someone is constantly calling her a man and saying she isn't &quot;real.&quot; That isn't necessary.

You don't have to believe everything someone tells you on a BBS nor do you have to believe who they say they are, however, there is no reason for someone to deliberatory slander someone's image or character.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
take everything you see here with a grain of salt. I know at least 4 people on this board are unique people, other than that, it could very well be that everyone else here is being used by dennilfloss.

Everything here is not as it seems. Locutus of board is not really a borg, Fsh is not a gorilla, and warcleric isnt really angry... wait a second, scratch that last one =].

People who put too much faith on what they read are usually the ones who are the most disappointed when it trues up false.

FiddleDD

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 1999
ummm I have first hand knowledge that fish really is a gorilla...

But...I would have to say, this internet is truly a reflection of real life.

Some women out there in real life are really men dressed up.

Some people out there have faked deaths.

Some people have no morals and will beat up spouse behind closed doors and then appear to be totally harmless and outgoing and fun in person.

We need to be careful wherever we are, and take the contributions of this forum for what it is worth.

I know people get upset because they have this sort of Puppet show going on in their heads of they way they perceive people on here to be, and then it kind of ruins the play in their head when its not so. Buts that's all it is...its all in your head.

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
Some people have no morals and will beat up spouse behind closed doors and then appear to be totally harmless and outgoing and fun in person.

for the record, that isn't me

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Okay, I confess, I'm really Harvey. I was so frustrated and annoyed with my liberal self that I created this online Conservative personage do make recompense for the error of my ways.

Russ, NCNE

FiddleDD

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 1999
yes for the record I was not referring to sirfshalot! Only that he really does look like a gorilla.

Fearlss1

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
I've said this before and I will say it again..
The internet is a place where people try and be somethign they arent IRL.. The Net gives people a place to explore and live in a so called Fantasy.....
I mean seriously even face to face we put on a mask/show.. You spend your hole life learing/growing/loving/liking a person, striving to get to know the real them, then it is over..
It takes a life time to truly get to know someone....
I just dont understand why it is soo important for people do be &quot; I wonder who you are&quot; the only reason I coudl see concern is if you are carrying on a further relationship beyong AT...
Anyway I am Nate, I have posted pics. I am 23 I live in Texas. and I am a student.. what more would anyone else on AT need to know.. Who cares.. If someone wants to be a girl then let them.. it is nothign more than tryign to get attention.. If you are that worried about a True idenity then dont talk to them in that matter..
-=\Nate

Johnlee

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
edit Fish /edit LOL! Glad you cleared that up..funny, that's the first thing that went through my mind.;)

Vox-I'm with you man. Well said.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I'm with vox on this one. I'm naturally a very open/trusting person, I've never portrayed myself as something I'm not (although occasionally I may humor the clueless in their groundless belief that I'm a mod). I have been completely honest in everything I've posted here, &amp; would have no qualms posting my real name and phone number if people wanted to meet me/talk to me.

Probably in part because I am that way, I expect the same out of others. I do not question people until I have reason to, until they prove me wrong I take them for what they say they are.

Perhaps I'm gullible, maybe a little naive, but I haven't been burned yet.

Viper GTS