tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
So I bought Oblivion, but I can't get into the game for some reason... maybe it's a little too "out of this world." It's hard to get in a "suspension of disbelief" when elves and reptiles are talking to me.

How about Witcher?

How comparable is Oblivion to Witcher?

fogman

Jan 2, 2008
In my personal opinion The Witcher is better. Witcer world is smaller and more closed. But in same time Witcher gives you better story, better atmosphere, better NPC-s, more interesting opponents.

Witcher in one of the best RPGs I have ever played. More Comparable to KOTOR, than to Oblivion.

ubercaffeinated

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: fogman
In my personal opinion The Witcher is better. Witcer world is smaller and more closed. But in same time Witcher gives you better story, better atmosphere, better NPC-s, more interesting opponents.

Witcher in one of the best RPGs I have ever played. More Comparable to KOTOR, than to Oblivion.

agreed. witcher was damn pleasurable.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
The Witcher is more scripted and story driven than Oblivion.. but if you're issue is elves talking to you.. you might be out of luck in the RPG realm. You will absolutely talk to quite a few elves, dwarves, dryads, and other creatures in The Witcher as well.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Oblivion was a pretty lousy game, requiring so mods to make it enjoyable, it was barely worth the effort. I think I got bored with it after a few hours. Haven't been able to play longer than the initial prison escape part.

The Witcher is a much better game, better characters, plot, and story.

If you're complaining about talking to elves and dwarves, though, you are going to get them in any fantasy RPG game. The Witcher's nonhuman races are more gritty than you'll find in a lot of high fantasy games though.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Thumbs up to The Witcher, but get the new addition with all the bug fixes and improved dialog. Much faster loads as well. It's held my attention in the same way that Mass Effect and KOTOR did. It's much more open ended than those games, though, and the combat is much more interesting.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Oblivion was a pretty lousy game, requiring so mods to make it enjoyable, it was barely worth the effort. I think I got bored with it after a few hours. Haven't been able to play longer than the initial prison escape part.

You know if all you did was get past the initial prison escape, you really didn't play Oblivion at all ;)

Originally posted by: Daverino
Thumbs up to The Witcher, but get the new addition with all the bug fixes and improved dialog. Much faster loads as well. It's held my attention in the same way that Mass Effect and KOTOR did. It's much more open ended than those games, though, and the combat is much more interesting.

I have to disagree with the combat, Witcher combat is basically comprised of correctly timing mouse clicks and using the appropriate combat style (and occasionally making sure you have the right grease on your blade or something). I like the combat in ME/KOTOR more.
It's awful stingy with weapon/armor upgrades, too. I still might finish it one of these days, I'm about midway through chapter III.

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: Bateluer

You know if all you did was get past the initial prison escape, you really didn't play Oblivion at all ;)

Originally posted by: Daverino

I have to disagree with the combat, Witcher combat is basically comprised of correctly timing mouse clicks and using the appropriate combat style (and occasionally making sure you have the right grease on your blade or something). I like the combat in ME/KOTOR more.
It's awful stingy with weapon/armor upgrades, too. I still might finish it one of these days, I'm about midway through chapter III.

Don't forget the use of Signs and potions!

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
The Witcher is more scripted and story driven than Oblivion.. but if you're issue is elves talking to you.. you might be out of luck in the RPG realm. You will absolutely talk to quite a few elves, dwarves, dryads, and other creatures in The Witcher as well.

And bang every single one of them.