Witcher - unable to complete echinops contract

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
Has anyone encountered this?

I have killed off the plants I think before getting the info in my monster journal.

Now that I have the info, I run around day and night in the swamp at the places I used to find them with no more attacks.

Squirrel camp: no
SW of the map: no
On all paths: no

The only thing left are slugs and drowned. There aren't even any ghouls anymore after I killed the group off.

I resorted to web search and saw a certain quest will cause them to appear more, but I took the different track so I'm SOL.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
They'll appear... it just takes some time. Try running around the paths [in the swamp] during the day. Go meditate until it's night. then run around the paths some more..

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I though I'd wiped out all the hostiles in the swamp, save for the wyverns, so it was a big shock for me to come back a few days later and get jumped by drowners. Echinops will respawn eventually, try doing a few other quests and coming back to the swamp at night.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
Drowners always respawn no matter what. I was playing in the Temple Quarter and swamp for days.

Now that I have reached the Trade Quarter, I will try again since I noticed some ghouls, alghouls, and gravs returned to the cemetary.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
I ran into them by accident for that contract. You know where the wyvern island is? They are very close to that island on another small piece of land mass at least they were for me. They do not really spawn at any of their old spots at that point in the game.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
I had been around that whole swamp many times over.

Well now up to the point of having Trade Quarter access, swamp filled with monsters more than it wa before +mutant spiders and all I get are the archespores that don't drop rootstocks.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: ITPaladin
I had been around that whole swamp many times over.

Well now up to the point of having Trade Quarter access, swamp filled with monsters more than it wa before +mutant spiders and all I get are the archespores that don't drop rootstocks.

This is called witcher job security. ;)

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
It isn't like an MMO where if you miss a spawn you aren't SOL.

I give this quest design a C. Monsters for contracts should be there when required, not disappear when you kill them THEN get the contract.

(update: OMG these things are so freakin rare. I FINALLY got 3. Two were in the watery area south of the mage tower, and 1 popped on me
going near the cave after going in that cave several times. I kept getting arch's and not echs. People shouldn't be penalized on contracts if they
happen to chose one quest path over another.)