Witcher 2 is pretty great....

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Until you fight the damned Kayran. What a nonsensical piece of crap boss fight. Had to watch a youtube video to find out what to do, terrible game design.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
You, and many others apparently.

I don't know why people struggle with the Kayran so much. It's the easiest boss fight in the entire game.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
You, and many others apparently.

I don't know why people struggle with the Kayran so much. It's the easiest boss fight in the entire game.

Difficulty wasn't the problem. The fact that you are supposed to somehow know to run up the piece of bridge and drop a bomb you did not know you had to kill the thing was just idiotic. I died at that stage of the fight probably 30 times before I gave up and looked up what to do.

Aug 11, 2008
Sorry, seems like an OK game, but I just don't see what the hype is about. Great graphics, but seems just like any other RPG to me. I already hate the QTEs, and pretty much figure I won't have a chance against the Karyn.

Honestly, I hate qtes with a passion, and besides sucking at them, I think they really break the immersion of a game.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Sorry, seems like an OK game, but I just don't see what the hype is about. Great graphics, but seems just like any other RPG to me. I already hate the QTEs, and pretty much figure I won't have a chance against the Karyn.

Honestly, I hate qtes with a passion, and besides sucking at them, I think they really break the immersion of a game.
The reason I like the game better than any other RPG is that the characters act realistically. People act like real people. They aren't some super evil person, or super good person, but realistic people. The ways that people act are actually believable, unlike just about any other RPG out there. Plus there are no such things as the right choice, or wrong choice when making decisions; only different choices - as it should be. That was always the problem with Bioware and Obsidian games, the choices were all artificially extreme.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The reason I like the game better than any other RPG is that the characters act realistically. People act like real people. They aren't some super evil person, or super good person, but realistic people. The ways that people act are actually believable, unlike just about any other RPG out there. Plus there are no such things as the right choice, or wrong choice when making decisions; only different choices - as it should be. That was always the problem with Bioware and Obsidian games, the choices were all artificially extreme.

This is very true. In many RPGs you have Bad guys, Good Guys, and people who remain neutral. In The Witcher you have characters who are actual people in terms of how they react to situations. They may be bad people outwardly but they bare a heavy burden of responsibility and through conversation you can see that part. People also react properly to each situation. They may disagree strongly with your decision but ultimately they come to an understanding. I remember when a dwarf friend asks you do handle a situation a certain way and if you do it the opposite of what he wanted he holds a grudge and says things like "how could you? I don't know if I can trust you any longer after what you did. I'll still help you but not for your sake." or something along those lines.

turn_pike

Mar 4, 2012
Edit:

IIRC QTE can now disabled from the game options.
Something about difficult QTE on/off toggle.

Yeah, I hated it too.

Last edited:

linthat22

Dec 2, 2011

For me, the combat controls were atrocious. It's the only game that I feel benefits from an Xbox controller.

The combat in the first Witcher game was perfect for how it was, the sequel fucked that all up.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Yeah, Sile de Tancarville shouts the instructions on what to do.

Aye, she tells the player exactly what to do. Witcher 2 doesn't do much hand holding for the player, but if you listen to what she tells you and do it, it should only take 1 or 2 reloads before you got it.

id like the game more if the controls didnt suck

The controls were revamped in the EE to make them flow smoother. There wasn't much wrong with the original, once you got the hang of it, but the newer mode is easier to learn.

The combat in the first Witcher game was perfect for how it was, the sequel fucked that all up.

You just might be the only person in the world who liked Witcher 1's controls more than Witcher 2. :p

OG Witcher 2 has a reputation for being a difficult game with a steep learning curve, but its really not that hard. It has the reputation because the launch edition had no tutorial and dropped the player pretty much into the middle of the action with no training. The EE has a tutorial that exists outside of the main story that drops the difficulty level substantially because after you go through it, you actually know what the fvck you're doing. :)

Last edited:

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I got out of the dungeon on my third try, got to the first town, and discovered the "Jedi mind trick" button. I started using it whenever I could and kind of lost interest.

Maybe I should download and read the manual some time.

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
I do remember a certain boss fight where i had to do everything "just so" or i would not be able to complete it, and that really bothered me. Especially when the rest of the combat in the game does not require you to follow such a rigid line.

turn_pike

Mar 4, 2012
OG Witcher 2 has a reputation for being a difficult game with a steep learning curve, but its really not that hard. It has the reputation because the launch edition had no tutorial and dropped the player pretty much into the middle of the action with no training. The EE has a tutorial that exists outside of the main story that drops the difficulty level substantially because after you go through it, you actually know what the fvck you're doing. :)

I think the problem is (still) the inverted difficulty curve.

Ideally the player face easy challenges while learning the concepts and the controls and only after he has mastered them i.e. in the final third of the game, will he face more difficult challenge.

Even after all the patches the early game is still the most difficult part of the game while in the final act you will have become an indestructible force of nature.

Still all in all, I see Witcher 2 as one of the greatest RPG ever produced.

Aug 11, 2008
Edit:

IIRC QTE can now disabled from the game options.
Something about difficult QTE on/off toggle.

Yeah, I hated it too.

You can disable "difficult" QTEs, but not eliminate them entirely. I wish that were an option.

Not to belabor a point, I just dont see what they add to a game of this sort. Maybe for a platformer or fighting game, or something like that they would be more appropriate.

Aug 11, 2008

I see your point. Artistically I am sure you are correct. However, a simplistic good vs evil conflict doesn't really bother me in a game if the game is otherwise done well.

Actually sometimes I enjoy that simplicity. For instance Kotor 1 if you played light side was pretty much a good vs evil game, but I still remember the thrill of when the ship come out intact in the end and how triumphant you felt. I guess I am saying that I play a game to get away from real life at times, not to have it mirror the ambiguity of life. Kind of like a feel-good summer action movie I suppose.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah, Sile de Tancarville shouts the instructions on what to do.

Maybe there was a glitch because at no point during the entire boss fight did she say, "Go over to that area that looks completely obstructed, run up the pillar that looks as though it completely blocks your path, and drop that bomb I slipped into your inventory without telling you on the beast to kill it."

Instead, after the initial stage where you destroy the weak joints in the tentacles you go to the next stage where you see another joint on the ground in front of you and a tentacle blocking your way while the Kayran throws rocks at you. Silly me seeing that last red joint on the ground I figured that it needed to be destroyed since that is what the entire fight up until that point entailed.

So I tried in vain for about an hour to get at the last joint with no luck.