Witcher 2 devs claim 100% accurate pirate identifaction -PCGamer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
This is one case where I'll side with the devs for certain. They delivered two awesome games, easily the best titles released in their launch years. Delivered with no DRM at all, and supported with several large patches and content updates. And they went on sale early and often. If you pirate these games even as CDP bends over backwards to make sure you get an awesome game, you deserve to pay them far more than 1200 bucks.

:thumbsup:

However I still think the 1200 bucks is too much.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
As someone living in Germany I can confirm that:

A) They do identify people via their IP addresses (accurately), and
B) The vast majority of the fees arises due to the cost of the lawyers themselves.

I know people who have received such letters (for downloading a single movie or game etc.) and to be honest - my thought is "suck it". Don't break the law if you don't want to eat the penalty.

I'm happy to see gaming companies cracking down on piracy.

Aug 11, 2008
Have you played the game? Everyone has their own opinions but your basically calling the game trash because its a really bad game or because you don't believe in CDProjekt take this course of action? Well imo it's one of the best games I've ever played and people should purchase it legally to support PC Gaming if anything.

Well, I agree with the idea that pirates should be punished, but I think the fee is excessive and hate to see even more money go to a bunch of lawyers.

I havent tried the second game, but I too bought the first game for $5 and agree with the previous poster that it wasnt worth even that.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
A) They do identify people via their IP addresses (accurately),

In Germany, given a single house with 5 residents, how many unique IP addresses does that house have for it's single internet connection?

I have a feeling the answer is 1, so how can they possibly identify a single person given an IP address that could be shared by several?

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
While I have no sympathy for any pirates getting nailed for any fine I am concerned about innocent people getting wrapped up in this and being inconvenienced or such.

Some innocents suffering might be the price we have to pay for piracy though…I can only imagine how better the game scene might be if game developers had some more cash in their pockets for projects…

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
In Germany, given a single house with 5 residents, how many unique IP addresses does that house have for it's single internet connection?

I have a feeling the answer is 1, so how can they possibly identify a single person given an IP address that could be shared by several?

It defaults to the person who pays for the line. Whether or not they're guilty or not, who knows, certainly not CDPR who just want their $1200+ valued software paid for.

There really needs to be a cap of like 5x or 10x the cost of the item pirated to stop these companies abusing the legal system like that.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
It defaults to the person who pays for the line. Whether or not they're guilty or not, who knows, certainly not CDPR who just want their $1200+ valued software paid for.

There really needs to be a cap of like 5x or 10x the cost of the item pirated to stop these companies abusing the legal system like that.

I believe in the US the cost is 3 times the cost of the stolen item plus legal fees. In this case, it would likely be about $1200.

I truly have no sympathy for the pirate that has to pay $1200 for illegally downloading a game. In fact, I would rather they spent some time in jail than pay a fine. Something like 30 days. It is their damn fault I have to deal with crappy DRM on the games I want to buy. They need to have real consequences for their actions, and this action is the first step in providing consequences.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I believe in the US the cost is 3 times the cost of the stolen item plus legal fees. In this case, it would likely be about $1200.

I truly have no sympathy for the pirate that has to pay $1200 for illegally downloading a game. In fact, I would rather they spent some time in jail than pay a fine. Something like 30 days. It is their damn fault I have to deal with crappy DRM on the games I want to buy. They need to have real consequences for their actions, and this action is the first step in providing consequences.

You'd rather pirates spend time in jail than pay the fine...so you want taxpayers to feed and house these assholes as oppose to just simply making the pirates pay for their own crime?

Seriously, do some of you even think before you post?

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Just interested to know what happens to those that downloaded the game and bought it at a later time.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
You'd rather pirates spend time in jail than pay the fine...so you want taxpayers to feed and house these assholes as oppose to just simply making the pirates pay for their own crime?

Seriously, do some of you even think before you post?

I definielty thought before I posted. I have my reasons for wanting jail time for theft. It is a more tangible consequence than a civil infraction, or getting sued.

I want the consequences of getting caught pirating to be bad enough that only a few people attempt it. Pretty much the same as other types of theft, where most people don't do it. When it comes to Piracy, there has really been no consequence to do it for quite a long time. If it gets to the point that most people will avoid it, then we will be able to purchase games without having to install all sorts of annoying DRM.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Not advocating piracy but this is the same crap arguments with different marketing.

Release DRM free game. Have it on sale for $16 within 1 year of launch (currently $24 and I think it has been for most of the last month+, except when it was at $16).
Sue pirates.

Slightly different to the usual marketing.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Hold up. If they can identify 100% of all pirates, then the know PRECISELY how much money they've lost in sales.

How does it make sense to ask pirates for $1000+ in damages? Seems like the amt of "damages" they should be able to recover should be something along the lines of the lost sales.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
No joke. I swear some of you lack a single ounce of logic or decency claiming that $1200 is extortion.

By that shitty logic, going through life as a thief will yield the best outcome because if you get caught, you don't get punished, all you have to do is pay what normal decent people paid, the full price for a game...On the other hand, if you don't get caught, you're on top of the world with your 'free' shit.

Fucking idiots.

hahaha! was about to post the exact same thing. so the "punishment" for stealing should be to pay full price if you get caught? then why the hell would anyone NOT steal then?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Just interested to know what happens to those that downloaded the game and bought it at a later time.

What do you mean? For X amount of time they still had the game without a license. Having a legit license NOW doesn't change the fact that they didn't in the first place. They're just as screwed as anybody who pirated it.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
hahaha! was about to post the exact same thing. so the "punishment" for stealing should be to pay full price if you get caught? then why the hell would anyone NOT steal then?

The amount of morons on this forum is astounding.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
i paid $5 for the witcher 1
which was $10 more than it was worth(IMO)
if i wanted to be a bad combat walking penis
id dress up in a suit
it has its fans, it has its dtractors
good for you for liking it.
i think the character sucks
the combat was laughably bad
and the 'tude of the game was grating.

Spaceman Spiff is still peeved that he bought the game without researching it first and then didn't like it. ;)

Me, I passed on Witcher 2 because I read reviews and found out that it didn't support all widescreen monitors, and you couldn't invert the mouse. They eventually fixed that, but the window of oppurtunity moved from 'intial buy' to 'wait for it to go under $10'.

I think this strongarm tactic is being used in Germany due to particular laws they have there.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
hold up. If they can identify 100% of all pirates, then the know precisely how much money they've lost in sales.

How does it make sense to ask pirates for $1000+ in damages? Seems like the amt of "damages" they should be able to recover should be something along the lines of the lost sales.
legal fees

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
What do you mean? For X amount of time they still had the game without a license. Having a legit license NOW doesn't change the fact that they didn't in the first place. They're just as screwed as anybody who pirated it.

Did they lose any sale due to that fact?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Release DRM free game. Have it on sale for $16 within 1 year of launch (currently $24 and I think it has been for most of the last month+, except when it was at $16).
Sue pirates.

Slightly different to the usual marketing.

Meant the whole "I can identify with 100% certainty that this ip is john doe" argument.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Sorry, your honor, I leave my wireless connection unsecure and it must have been someone else who pirated the game.

/end