Wisdom were removed but I feel something else

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
It appears something is growing where my one wisdom tooth used to be. I stuck my finger towards the back and feel something sharp coming from the gums. It hurts quite a bit. Any ideas?!?!?!?! Anyways, i have an appt tomorrow morning.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Chipped remnants of your wisdom tooth. Ask for your money when you visit the guy.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Maybe you have another one they didnt see. I had five so I know that it can happen.

AsianriceX

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
Could be a bone fragment left over from the surgery.

I know my jaw wasn't healing properly (had dull pains in the area for a couple of weeks) and they had to go back in to scrape out the bad tissue. Fun part was that they didn't knock me out so I could feel everything they did.

It's a little nerve wracking when you can feel them peeling away your gums and feel the vibrations as they use some tool to scrape away at your jaw.

chibichanman

Sep 6, 2006
Sometimes, the ortho will leave pieces of your wisdom teeth there for your safety. That piece may have been too close to a nerve and thus removing might have endangered you to being feeling-less in your jaw for the rest of your life.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: chibichanman
Sometimes, the ortho will leave pieces of your wisdom teeth there for your safety. That piece may have been too close to a nerve and thus removing might have endangered you to being feeling-less in your jaw for the rest of your life.

I'd suspect they'd let you know if they did that. I'm sure they would dull the end of it too.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You may be feeling the socket/jaw.

I have such a sensation every once in a while.

It will take a few years before your tongue stops exploring and you automatically accept the hole.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: lilcam
It appears something is growing where my one wisdom tooth used to be. I stuck my finger towards the back and feel something sharp coming from the gums. It hurts quite a bit. Any ideas?!?!?!?! Anyways, i have an appt tomorrow morning.
best to have the doc look at it tomorrow than to take advice here. :p

still, probably a tooth/jaw bone fragment as others have suggested. he can use some cotton pliers to flick it out if it's close enough to the surface.

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000
When I got a tooth pulled they gave me a sheet that said it was normal for that to happen

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
I had something like this happen too - it didn't hurt much, and I thought it was just another tooth coming in. Still not sure what exactly it was - it slowly (a couple weeks) went from being a sore, slightly hard spot under my gums to working it's way all the way out gradually. It was like a tooth the size of a candy Nerd. Odd, what the body does sometimes.