Wisconsin to charge citizens fee to protest

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The issue is when a group gets to the point that security is needed/required, is it a peaceful assembly? The public should not be forced to bear the costs.

Have you ever been to a protest of any size? They all involve security measures by police regardless of their actions. So yes, of course when a group gets to the point that security is deemed necessary by the police it can still be peaceful.

For example the initial Wisconsin protests were almost entirely peaceful. (I'm unaware of any violence occurring there, and if there was it was quite small) Furthermore this bill does nothing in reference to that, in fact it reserves the right to charge people before a protest has even taken place by forcing them to post a bond ahead of time, a time where it is literally impossible for them to have been violent.

Try as you might, you can't get around the fact that you're trying to charge people for exercising their constitutional rights.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The issue is when a group gets to the point that security is needed/required, is it a peaceful assembly? The public should not be forced to bear the costs.
If security is there to defend the public, the public should bear the cost.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
So are you guys getting up a petition to demand the Tea Parties receive refunds of their fees, or working up some good chants, or what? 'Cause I just KNOW your righteous indignation is evenly applied . . .

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So are you guys getting up a petition to demand the Tea Parties receive refunds of their fees, or working up some good chants, or what? 'Cause I just KNOW your righteous indignation is evenly applied . . .

Did you not read the thread? We already talked about how nobody should pay to protest, regardless of ideology.