Wisconsin GOP legistators block effort by Democratic Governor to make Tuesday's election safe.

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
And now it's Kentucky's turn.

Republicans undermine democracy again by weaponizing corona to stay in power

"Kentucky’s heavily Republican legislature voted Tuesday to require voters to show a government-issued photo ID, overriding Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear’s veto in the process. Meanwhile, if a Kentucky voter heads to the state’s webpage hoping to learn how to obtain such an ID, they will encounter a message telling them ID-issuing offices are closed." I suppose it figures, it's Moscow Mitch's home state after all.

GOP governance is toxic, and they just can't stop themselves from proving it. Again and again and again. Kentucky, you have a lot of assholes to vote out. Good luck in repeating Wisconsin's stand against anti-democratic bullshit.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

"Kentucky’s heavily Republican legislature voted Tuesday to require voters to show a government-issued photo ID, overriding Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear’s veto in the process. Meanwhile, if a Kentucky voter heads to the state’s webpage hoping to learn how to obtain such an ID, they will encounter a message telling them ID-issuing offices are closed." I suppose it figures, it's Moscow Mitch's home state after all.

GOP governance is toxic, and they just can't stop themselves from proving it. Again and again and again. Kentucky, you have a lot of assholes to vote out. Good luck in repeating Wisconsin's stand against anti-democratic bullshit.

How can you override a veto?
This is why linguistics makes no god damn sense to me.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

someone needs to challenge that in court ASAP. no way it can possibly stand.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Vote count over, now on to the Roberts Court and Wisconsin GOP body count.
GREEN BAY - Investigators from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are expected to arrive in Brown County this weekend to look into a recent explosion in COVID-19 cases in the Green Bay area.
The number of cases has increased more than fourfold in just 10 days.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Vote by mail only prevents many from voting. Not everyone has a perm address. Mostly applicable to the poor or homeless.

Anything to toe the GOP line, huh? It's quite dishonest. Vote by mail is not exclusive. Coloradans can register & vote in person 15 days prior to election day. Picture ID is not required.

Poor people really don't vote much, anyway, and the GOP wants to keep it that way. It's why they hated ACORN so desperately.

Glad to know you really care.

Touching, isn't it?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
EDIT: Beaten by @ElFenix by a day.

So 7 additional COVID-19 cases directly identified from in-person voting identifie

At least 7 coronavirus cases are tied to Wisconsin's in-person election, officials say
From CNN's Abby Phillip

Wisconsin's Department of Health Services said that they now have at least seven cases of Covid-19 tied to the state's in-person election on April 7, a spokesperson confirmed to CNN.
"We are confirming 7 cases as of yesterday," the department's spokesperson Shawn Benjamin said in a statement.
In an effort to investigate the impact of the election on the state's coronavirus cases, the department added “election activity” to its list of investigation questions in the disease registry, the statement said.
"Please note that we only have 30% of the data back from new cases as of 4/7 and on," Benjamin said.
"We hope to have these fields complete by Friday and will provide a more complete report then," he added.
"While we continue to monitor cases of Covid-19 linked to election activity, we know that gatherings such as [the election] are detrimental to the efforts to slow the spread of this pandemic," Dr. Ben Weston, the medical director for the Milwaukee County Office of Emergency Management, said in the statement.

I wonder if anyone could be sued over this? Hopefully no one has to die as result of exercising their right to vote.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002

So 7 additional COVID-19 cases directly identified from in-person voting identifie

At least 7 coronavirus cases are tied to Wisconsin's in-person election, officials say
From CNN's Abby Phillip

Wisconsin's Department of Health Services said that they now have at least seven cases of Covid-19 tied to the state's in-person election on April 7, a spokesperson confirmed to CNN.
"We are confirming 7 cases as of yesterday," the department's spokesperson Shawn Benjamin said in a statement.
In an effort to investigate the impact of the election on the state's coronavirus cases, the department added “election activity” to its list of investigation questions in the disease registry, the statement said.
"Please note that we only have 30% of the data back from new cases as of 4/7 and on," Benjamin said.
"We hope to have these fields complete by Friday and will provide a more complete report then," he added.

I wonder if anyone could be sued over this? Hopefully no one has to die as result of exercising their right to vote.
Like maybe the SCOTUS in one of their worse decisions ever.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Like maybe the SCOTUS in one of their worse decisions ever.

This is what happens when a fading decrepit isolationist ideology wishing to live in its past glories is on the brink of collapse and gone stark raving mad in its efforts to remain relevant in a world that's moving past them, leaving them to live in a time bubble that appears smaller and smaller as the rest of the world moves forward............without them.

So be it.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
McCrae Dowless, the guy involved in the election fraud case in North Carolina Congressional District 9 which led to a re-election, has been arrested on Social Security fraud.

So we've got Election Fraud and Social Security Fraud. All he needs now is Insurance Fraud to get the Bladen County Trifecta. Keepin' it local. Keepin' it real.

If only he could defraud a charity, he'd be ready for national politics.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Update: Wisconsin just reported it's largest single day of reported cases exactly... checks notes... 14 days after election.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

From CNN's Abby Phillip

If anyone dies, gov/AG should go after gop leaders for murder.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
McCrae Dowless, the guy involved in the election fraud case in North Carolina Congressional District 9 which led to a re-election, has been arrested on Social Security fraud.

So we've got Election Fraud and Social Security Fraud. All he needs now is Insurance Fraud to get the Bladen County Trifecta. Keepin' it local. Keepin' it real.

If only he could defraud a charity, he'd be ready for national politics.

Excellent contender for a Trump pardon, seeing as if he and Trump share so many of those character traits that brand them as low life scumbags.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
But I'm right.

Let me ask a a question even a simple minded person like yourself can understand. In which scenario would present higher voter turnout: mail in only, or mail in with voting polls.

"Previously, Evers had been calling for an expanded absentee ballot system — mailing ballots to all registered voters and loosening guidelines for absentee voting. "

Mail in only?
Mail in only vs. 180 reduced to 5 polling places?

"Additionally, clerks across the state have reported a severe shortage of poll workers, with more than 100 communities saying they will have no one to work the polls. In those municipalities, voters will have to drive to another town to cast a ballot in person, according to the state Elections Commission. "

Extreme voter suppression was the only shot they had. Still lost.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
But I'm right.

Let me ask a a question even a simple minded person like yourself can understand. In which scenario would present higher voter turnout: mail in only, or mail in with voting polls.

Which has a higher turnout?

1)Voting in person only in the midst of a pandemic
2) voting in person and by mail in the midst of a pandemic

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
But I'm right.

Really?

You really expect us to buy your deep concern for the homeless and their potential hurdles to vote by mail?

Did you also have these same concerns about requiring ID to vote in person?

How many have govt ID to show? Which precinct are they showing up to? After all, they don't have perm addresses as you point out...

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
But I'm right.

Oregon votes almost entirely by mail. Has had up to 80+% voter participation and is generally in the top 10 states for voting participation. They also have processes in place for the homeless and those who don’t want to disclose their address.

So you are wrong. The fact that you think homeless voting is some kid of a “gotcha” means you aren’t even aware of what states do to mitigate the difficulties the homeless have voting.

Reactions: Thump553