Question Wiring a STEAM Center

STEAMCenter

Dec 16, 2021
I am a volunteer with a local educational non-profit and know very little about computers, so treat me like a child…
We need to finish our science center. It is a 30 by 30 foot room.
We want to mount 16 or so computers on the wall and have the monitors, speakers, mouse, keyboard and USB plugs for other stuff on desks.
The desks will receive power from in-floor mounted boxes that could also mount computer cables. We will be able to move the desks and such around or clear the floor of such things if needed, hence the in-floor mounted boxes.
I’d appreciate any ideas you may have. Is it possible to do this wirelessly? Can it be done with LAN cables so we don’t need to run multiple wires? The high school kids will run games as well as engineering or CAD software.
For fun, I included pictures of our home-made space shuttle simulator.
Thanks for you help.

Attachments

• 308313B0-6521-4DB6-B017-4A8507DBB040.jpeg
    308313B0-6521-4DB6-B017-4A8507DBB040.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 9F5B274E-7FF7-4BFA-A8B2-B2761FF560AF.jpeg
    9F5B274E-7FF7-4BFA-A8B2-B2761FF560AF.jpeg
    969.7 KB · Views: 15

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I appreciate the thought, but I really don’t know what I am doing. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Umm, maybe you misread his statement. He's saying that you need to hire a 'Professional' to advise you. It doesn't sound like you have the knowledge to properly assess the situation.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
As others have said, you need to find a local computer company to set it up for you.

But some tips and questions
1. You will need one server to store shared files and do the management (possible Windows Standard Server 2022)​
2. If all other stuff are on the desks, why do the computers have to be mounted on the wall? The organization wants small computers? I believe Dell or HP has small form factor series desktop computers. Some probably can be mounted on the back of VESA monitors with VESA brackets.​
3. Wired network is the way to go. You will need a 24 ports switch. All PCs and the server need to connect to this switch. Get at least smart switch if the org. can't afford a true level 3 switch. You will be disappointed if the desktop PCs are using wireless connections. WiFi is for smartphones, tablets& desktops for the sole purpose of its convenience.​
4. You will need an AP (wireless access point) that connects to the switch if you want to let wireless devices to connect the network.​
5. The school should already have it's router. The switch need to uplink to school's router so the computers in that room can access the internet.​

Last edited:

STEAMCenter

Dec 16, 2021
As others have said, you need to find a local computer company to set it up for you.

But some tips and questions
1. You will need one server to store shared files and do the management (possible Windows Standard Server 2022)​
2. If all other stuff are on the desks, why do the computers have to be mounted on the wall? The organization wants small computers? I believe Dell or HP has small form factor series desktop computers. Some probably can be mounted on the back of VESA monitors with VESA brackets.​
3. Wired network is the way to go. You will need a 24 ports switch. All PCs and the server need to connect to this switch. Get at least smart switch if the org. can't afford a true level 3 switch. You will be disappointed if the desktop PCs are using wireless connections. WiFi is for smartphones, tablets& desktops for the sole purpose of its convenience.​
4. You will need an AP (wireless access point) that connects to the switch if you want to let wireless devices to connect the network.​
5. The school should already have it's router. The switch need to uplink to school's router so the computers in that room can access the internet.​
Yep, getting some local help sounds like a good idea. We have a couple PC repair shops, maybe they would be interested in helping us. We want the computers on the wall to make it easier to rearrange the room and the PCs we have are pretty big, too big for the tables. I need to run power through the floor anyway and figured might as well run computer wiring as well. I’ll ask the electrician about running conduit so we can pull new wires in the future.
I never thought about a server, not surprising as this all over my head and I am not sure what a server would do, heck I use a flip-phone!
Thanks for responding, in a few months I’ll let you folks know what we did.