Wireless USB adapters go "dead" after idling in XP SP2???

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
72,647
26
91
I've got a Uniden 802.11b USB adapter that I use on my XP desktop machine (router, D-Link DI-614+ Rev B, latest July '04 firmware) is upstairs. I've never had a problem with it before...until now with SP2. It used to be that I could leave my computer on for weeks at a time without rebooting with no wireless issues, but now whenever the computer is left alone for anywhere from 30 mins to a few days (it varies from time to time), the USB adapter will no longer receive internet traffic. It will still show that it has an IP address and that it has a Good signal lock, but it will not send/receive internet traffic. Disabling the device and re-enabling it doesn't work. Repairing the connection doesn't work. The only solution is to reboot the machine, then the internet traffic starts up again as if nothing was wrong. I've tried disabling ZoneAlarm and disabling the Windows Firewall. I even went so far as to totally remove Zone Alarm and see if I could replicate the problem...which again occured.

Now I know it's not a router issue b/c while my desktop PC is fighting to get wireless internet traffic going, my iPAQ will surf perfectly through the router through WiFi. And my housemate upstairs who uses a WiFi PCI card hasn't been bitchin' to me about having any issues (I know that he's still running XP SP1 though).

I thought it was just my Uniden USB adapter, so I went out a bought a D-Link DWL-122 USB adapter. Same problem.

Then I was talking to my GF tonight and she's having the same problem (I installed SP2 on her machine on Monday). She's using a Compaq USB 802.11b adatper and a D-Link DI-614+ (Rev A).

So, long story short:

(1) XP SP1: no problems

**Enter SP2**

(2) Wireless internet works for a while perfectly...
(3) After some indeterminate idle time, machine loses all internet functionality despite a good connection and a valid IP address (192.168.0.102).
(4) Other devices using wireless internet have no problems at all (iPAQ, PC upstairs)
(5) Problem duplicated on three different USB WiFi adapters
 

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
2,822
1
76
This is most likely a DHCP / DNS renewal issue, I had similar issues w/ my M6805 laptop using a broadcom chipset and my linksys wireless router if it stayed connected for long periods of time, at first I just gave it a static ip and DNS info and that worked fine even w/ SP1a, I tried DHCP again w/ SP2 and the same issue occured, I then got an HP/Compaq newer driver for my built in wireless and magicly the problem disapeared, so in this case since newer drivers didn't resolve the issue, I'd suggest trying a static IP address and DNS info and see if that works, might solve the problem, many of the consumer grade broadband routers, be they wireless or wired have flaky DHCP support. Just my 2 cents... Hope this helps...

Posted this under your OS thread too :) just incase you missed it there :)
 
D

Deleted member 4644

I suggest looking at the www.dslreport.com forums under wireless networking, linksys, and netgear. They have several threads on this issue. It appears to be SP2 related, yes.
 

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
72,647
26
91
Originally posted by: Deleted member 4644
I suggest looking at the www.dslreport.com forums under wireless networking, linksys, and netgear. They have several threads on this issue. It appears to be SP2 related, yes.

Thanks
 
D

Deleted member 4644

Your issue may be related to WPA. Or, it might have to do with the SP2 replacement for the Windows Zero Configuration utility...

PM me if you cant get it working.. Ive been troubleshooting wireless networks all week since installing SP2 on my and friends' computers.

:(
 

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
72,647
26
91
I followed the advice of the peeps at dslreports and disabled the Zero Configuration Utility service and am using the D-Link utility. Everything is working fine...for now.......