Wireless Secured...NOT

Bob.

Dec 6, 2011
Re: WRT54gL v1.1
Firmware: dd-wrt.v24-12548_NEWD_std.bin

I have this router setup with wireless and wired, and one port setup as vlan on a separate subnet. I thought everything was fine until I recently brought in a friend's win7 laptop to work on. In checking the wireless connections available, I saw that my wireless network is listed as unsecured. So, I tried connecting to it from this friends laptop and it allowed me to connect without any password.

I believe all settings are correct, and I have very strong password and very strong share key using WPA2.

Any ideas as to why the wireless is still unsecured?

Thanks,
Bob.

Last edited:

Bob.

Dec 6, 2011
Huh! I've had this router running this dd-wrt firmware for 3 or 4 weeks now with the same settings. Even though I rebooted the router again today, nothing. I know I hit the apply and save buttons (3 or 4 weeks ago at setup), yet just now, I hit apply and save and suddenly, the wireless NW is secured!

Is this normal? I would have thought that had I neglected to click Apply or Save, the settings would not 'stick'. Does it really retain unsaved settings, or is this a glitch?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
There is a feature that prohibits wireless-based administration of the router. It might let you connect to it, even log in, but not allow any changes across a wireless connection. I have several of these routers and disallow admin web-connectivity from wireless connections.

Bob.

Dec 6, 2011
There is a feature that prohibits wireless-based administration of the router. It might let you connect to it, even log in, but not allow any changes across a wireless connection. I have several of these routers and disallow admin web-connectivity from wireless connections.

Where security is concerned, I agree with that 'policy'.

In this case, however, I was logging in from a desktop on my wired network. I've since confirmed that one must click Apply (applies settings) and Save (saves settings to RAM). I thought I clicked both, but must not have.

Thanks for your remarks.