Wireless routers safe?

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
Are wireless routers safe these days or is it better to go wired. need to hook up 1 pc to a router for internet access, any recommend a good router to get, hear smc is good though.

still a big fan of wired technolgies :)

also, do you need a wireless network card for each pc as well for the wireless router i mean?, really dont want to spend too much to do this.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
Originally posted by: JackMDS
Wireless is a little bit like S-X. Might be some times unsafe but we do it anyway.:shocked: :laugh::thumbsup::beer::music:

:laugh:

And like S-X, I dont want strangers sniffing my packets without permision. :shocked:

Blaizer2

Aug 23, 2003
As long as you do not broadcast your SSID and use MAC filtering (Access Control List) no one would be able to get to your network. The ACL tells the router who it can talk with. Since no two MACs are alike the router controls access. The cracks will try to find a link in the wild and start from there; if they don't see you they will not know you are there. WEP/WPA and passwords, as well as S/W firewalls add value.

r/ Blaiz

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The Broadcast thingie is very "So So".

While your Wireless works it ?Broadcasting? so the signal can be picked.

In addition there are applications that would detect the Wireless even if it is ?dormant?.