Wireless Router to Wireless Router

Ruffian998

Feb 9, 2005
I will be installing a wireless network in my house here soon and here is my question.

One of my roommates has an iMac G5. I can install an Airport Extreme card, but they cost $80. I have yet to find a USB Wireless NIC for that has Mac OSX drivers. So, I was wondering, the wireless router will be in my room. Is there anyway to hook up a wireless router to the iMac so (2 wireless routers now) and have the router connected to the iMac communicate with the wireless router in my room to share the cable internet connection? I would like to go this route as a Wireless router is only $50.

I don't want an AP as I tried to mess around with one of those last night, I dont know if it was just the brand or what but I had a heck of a time trying to get it to connect up to my wireless router, it could connect, just couldn't ping to a single computer on the network. I'm comfortable setting up a wireless router, and would just prefer to go this route if possible.

Thanks.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Yes it can be done, provided that the Wireless Router has a Client Mode (Wireless Network - Configuration Modes. ).

Of the Brand name Entry Level Cable/DSL Routers

Buffalo Tech., some of the Belkin, and some of the SMC 802.11g models have client mode as is.

Linksys WRT54g v.1-4, and WRT54L models can be flashed with 3rd party firmware and work as Client. (http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=31 )

Most new Access Points of most Brands can be configured as Clients too.

Some of the configuration option are described here, http://www.ezlan.net/bridging

:sun:

Ruffian998

Feb 9, 2005
Is there anyway to just buy an AP, connect the AP directly to the iMac via an ethernet cable, have the AP connect to the wireless router in my room a viola! the iMac now has an internet connection?

If so, whats a good cheap AP? I'll be buying a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Yeah, an AP in client mode would work as a Drivelrlee Wireless Client card on any Ethernet compatible computer.

APs tend to be more expensive than Wireless Cable/DSL Routers. A Linksys WRT54L and a decent AP cost about the same.

Search YMMV.

:sun: