WIRELESS NETWORKING - D-Link DWL-650 11Mbps PC Card $30 at TechDepot

FOBioPatel

Banned
Jun 15, 2001
wasa, torn from gujudeals.com again

D-Link DWL-650 802.11b PCMCIA card priced at $30 shipped, there are no rebates involved. Wireless is getting very cheap these days. Here is a layman's tutorial (and product recommendations) for those interested in wireless and want to upgrade or replace their existing wire network.

jrichrds

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is one of those cards in which you're either happy with it, or you absolutely hate it. I like it. It works fine for me. Connection is jumpier than other cards I've used (move a couple inches and it can go from full connection to no connection). But typically, the connection is stronger than most other budget cards (which wouldn't include the Cisco-based and Lucent/Orinoco-based cards).

Keep in mind there's a few different versions of this model. DWL-650 L1, the latest version, is the one I'm referring to. It's based on the ADMTek ADM8211 chipset. Any comments about the other versions of the DWL-650 (except the A1, which is the same as the L1) won't apply, as they use a completely different chipset.

Oh yes, and the Act LED flashes constantly and provides no useful information. I find it rather annoying, as I can see the flashing at the corner of my eye at all times. It was easily remedied by sticking a small piece of post-it note over the light. But it would've been nice if it actually indicated activity. Can't really complain though, as the 3 previous wireless cards I used either had a solid Act light at all times (less annoying than constantly flashing) or didn't have an Act light at all (only a Link light).

DigDug

Mar 21, 2002
Sorry to threadcrap, but I must do so. You can get Orinoco Silver's for $38 bucks from other places, and can get rebadged Orinoco's on Ebay for about $25 bucks! do a search for "roamabout" - Enterasys/Cabletron's Roamabout cards are rebadged Orinocos. The range quality is SO MUCH BETTER that I would hate for anyone to buy these junk d-link cards.

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by: jrichrds
This is one of those cards in which you're either happy with it, or you absolutely hate it. I like it. It works fine for me. Connection is jumpier than other cards I've used (move a couple inches and it can go from full connection to no connection). But typically, the connection is stronger than most other budget cards (which wouldn't include the Cisco-based and Lucent/Orinoco-based cards).

Keep in mind there's a few different versions of this model. DWL-650 L1, the latest version, is the one I'm referring to. It's based on the ADMTek ADM8211 chipset. Any comments about the other versions of the DWL-650 (except the A1, which is the same as the L1) won't apply, as they use a completely different chipset.

Oh yes, and the Act LED flashes constantly and provides no useful information. I find it rather annoying, as I can see the flashing at the corner of my eye at all times. It was easily remedied by sticking a small piece of post-it note over the light. But it would've been nice if it actually indicated activity. Can't really complain though, as the 3 previous wireless cards I used either had a solid Act light at all times (less annoying than constantly flashing) or didn't have an Act light at all (only a Link light).

I bought 2 of these for $20 AR, one for myself and one for my roommate. I agree about the flashing LED - it's annoying, plus it was a potential giveaway to my professors that I was surfing the web during class :D I just put a piece of electrical tape over it. My roommate's has a different design and no flashing LED. Both of them work fine on my Linksys router and the WiFi at school, in fact at home it rarely goes below 'Excellent'

Packy

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2001
I think I'm going to snag this card from computers4sure for $29.95 shipped. :) This is a good, reliable card... at least, it has been for me. I already have one in one of my laptops, and I'm getting this for my 2nd one.

XCLAN

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: SlamDonkey
Originally posted by: XCLAN
here

or here

hey xclan, that's a different router different price...

i was bein lazy....was showing people where to get a good deal on a router. i got this card...and the roter...both working just fine.....even been able to use my laptop while in my car...out in my driveway.

OneStepsAhead

May 1, 2002
Be careful with this one. There are (at least) TWO DIFFERENT VERSIONS of this card.

The DWL-650 is the old card and will only work at the 11 mbps.

The DWL-650+ (with the PLUS) is the new model and will work at 22 mbps with a D-Link PLUS router, and can have a firmware and driver upgrade to work at 44 mbps, almost 802.11g speeds.

The DWL-650+ can be bought from Amazon for $53.99 less $10 coupon = $43.99, less coupon if you can find one. This would be a much better deal that the old model for $30.

Routers:

Amazon also has the "D-Link AirPlus DI-614+ Wireless 22 Mbps Broadband Router" at $65 AR, if you missed the price mistake from OD that allowed many people to get them for free, AR.

And BB is supposedly restocking their shelves with Netgear MR814 routers for $50 less $30 MIR, net $20 AR with no coupon or PM needed.

wirelessmouse

Feb 12, 2003
I missed the BB MR814 deal. Today they're showing online as $99.99. Any word on when they're going to drop the price again?