Anthony Rivera

May 31, 2018
I am getting ready to install a number of wireless security cameras to record 24/7 and have a few questions.
  • Will this bog the wireless network down?
  • Should I dedicate a wireless router or AP for the security cameras?
  • What is the best setup to maintain optimal wireless connectivity of all devices?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I think that your questions are too General.

Networking and Wireless is about Bandwidth available and Network's Hardware demands in bandwidth terms.

Lacking any info about the hardware and what else is on the Network makes it impossible to provide credible answers.

:cool:

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Yes it can bog the wireless network down. Dedicating another wireless router or dedicating one radio (2.4G or 5G) of your existing router will help. Best setup is wired. I suppose wireless for those sacrificial cameras. In my opinion, I wouldn't bother putting cameras outside, put them in your windows sills inside your home with a flashing red LED to let thieves know to behave.

Reactions: PliotronX

Anthony Rivera

May 31, 2018
Yes it can bog the wireless network down. Dedicating another wireless router or dedicating one radio (2.4G or 5G) of your existing router will help. Best setup is wired. I suppose wireless for those sacrificial cameras. In my opinion, I wouldn't bother putting cameras outside, put them in your windows sills inside your home with a flashing red LED to let thieves know to behave.

Thanks for the input! I will try that.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Will this bog the wireless network down?
It could, video is a fairly high bandwidth process. On the other hand most people have a lot of unused intrAnet bandwidth since they are typically limited by their intErnet speeds.

Should I dedicate a wireless router or AP for the security cameras?
Yes if you can afford it. Also it would be best not to be on the same frequencies.

What is the best setup to maintain optimal wireless connectivity of all devices?
Run wires...

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

If the cameras have IR night vision, it won’t work through glass.