Wireless mouse problems

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
I have a Microsoft wireless 2000 key/mouse set.

The problem is the mouse is all over the place, I mean 90% of the time it works fine, but the other 10% it's warping all over the screen, freezing for up to 10 seconds and stopping starting again. It's basically unusable. It'll work fine for 10 minutes, then for several minutes I can't control it at all, then it will work fine again.

This is with the brand new duracells that came with it.

I had the same exact problem with a Logitech wireless set that I just returned.

Wired mouse/key works fine.

What could be the problem that causes this? USB receiver is less than 3ft from mouse/keyboard. I've also tried different usb ports. The only other usb devices I have connected are a printer, speakers and a hd dock.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Hmm. What motherboard or computer is this? What OS? Did you install the Mouse and Keyboard Center software?

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Reminds me of an issue I once had with a Logitek mouse. Turned out to be a software conflict issue. Needed to go into msconfig & turn off or deactivate some other mouseware related install that was conflicting with the active mouse. You might even have an IRQ conflict.

Look into your equivalent of msconfig for any old HID controller & try deactivating any suspicious cursor controlling HID devices.

The diagnosis approach typically is to keep turning stuff off/deactivating till the problem goes away. Turn stuff back on one-by-one & when the issues reappears, youve found your problem/conflict.

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
I built the computer about 6 months ago. I built it as a low power (green) computer for office work. I use it to work about 10hrs a day.

It's a:
AMD Kabini quad 5350
Asus AM1M-A
8GB DDR3 1600
240GB SSD
Windows 10

After I had problems I installed the Microsoft software, but it didn't make any difference.

It's completely random, last night I had about 12 tabs open when it started glitching, warping and just plain uncontrollable. It was so bad I couldn't even close a tab or shut down via start menu cause I couldn't navigate the mouse there, it was all over the place. Restarted the pc, same thing even with no tabs open at all, just on desktop. So I shut down for about 10 min, powered back up and it was fine again.

It's been fine all morning today too and currently have 8 tabs open. When this happens cpu usage is never above 30%.

With the logitech set I returned, the mouse wasn't nearly as bad as this, It was glitchy but at least i could close a tab. BUT, the keyboard also had issues where I would start typing and no characters would show on the screen for like 10-15 seconds or more, then when they did characters would be missing and I would have to start over again. Not having any problems with this keyboard yet.

I can't even imagine what would cause it to work perfectly like now, then all the sudden become completely unusable.

Last edited:

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
Reminds me of an issue I once had with a Logitek mouse. Turned out to be a software conflict issue. Needed to go into msconfig & turn off or deactivate some other mouseware related install that was conflicting with the active mouse. You might even have an IRQ conflict.

Look into your equivalent of msconfig for any old HID controller & try deactivating any suspicious cursor controlling HID devices.

The diagnosis approach typically is to keep turning stuff off/deactivating till the problem goes away. Turn stuff back on one-by-one & when the issues reappears, youve found your problem/conflict.

Can you repeat that in English please? lol

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
He is talking about msconfig. For 10, this requires a ctrl+alt+del, more details, startup. From there, I assume he would disable applications related to the mouse from that menu.

I am just wondering if there is something causing interference between the mouse and the receiver.

Also, make sure you aren't plugging the receiver into the blue USB ports on the back of the board. Use the black ones.

Last edited:

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
As mentioned, the described problem can be caused by rf interference. For example, by a nearby wifi device using 2.4 Ghz (even an LSD TV).

http://www.pixelchef.net/content/how-fix-wireless-keyboard-and-mouse-interference

It is possible also that your own computer's wifi is interfering with the Logitech wireless system.

http://superuser.com/questions/67956/wifi-is-interfering-with-wireless-logitech-vx-revolution-mouse

- Deactivate your on-board LAN wifi card & see what happens.

- Try changing the channel used for wifi LAN.

Also, see if you can reset the Logitech mouse & keyboard (ie, small recessed button on the bottom of the mouse).

=========================================
Using Logitech’s SetPoint Connect Utility to fix your mouse’s wireless connection
http://unitstep.net/blog/2008/04/19...ility-to-fix-your-mouses-wireless-connection/

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
You can also get to the Startup options that were in the older MSCONFIG by the Task Manager ... there is a tab marked Startup in there.

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
Ok guys, weird I've been using the PC all day and not had it happen even one time so this is bizarre.

Why would they make a wireless keyboard/mouse that would be interfered with by a wi-fi router? I mean who doesn't have one?

There is nothing under "startup" under "task manger" related to the mouse. There is logitech download assistant which I disabled. But this is a Microsoft mouse.

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
So it's been a few day's and I haven't had that major issue anymore, but it's still glitching even just browsing facebook or doing an online survey. Like when I go to click a box it'll stop short and miss, or it'll move at the last second and miss. When I'm moving cursor from one side of screen to the other it will stop and start again momentarily. Wish I could figure out what it is.

**20 min after I typed this it started again. I was going through my email inbox and it started going whacko. I couldn't even click a email cause I kept missing, it's all over the place. WTH??

Last edited:

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
Ok so I'm back to a wired mouse. Became completely unusable again.

Here's the kicker, even the wired mouse is now glitching, and my keyboard too. Any ideas wth?

Last edited:

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Sounds like a software conflict vying for IRQs.

Ensure that all old Logitech software has been removed (since you are not using it). This software has been known to interfere with other HIDs.

You will want to start disabling stuff in the equivalent of configsys. (This is made for such purpose; ie, diagnosis.)

Run your "Resource Monitor" for insight as to what might be happening. Look in "Task Manager" for process resource use. You can disable processes there too.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
The mouse jumping all over the place... could it be a bad sensor? A hair? A bad surface?

I've seen wireless mice do strange things where the folks using it wanted to blame the batteries or the connection when many times it's a fine cat hair stuck at the sensor that moves around a bit with static electricity when you move the mouse around.

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
The mouse jumping all over the place... could it be a bad sensor? A hair? A bad surface?

I've seen wireless mice do strange things where the folks using it wanted to blame the batteries or the connection when many times it's a fine cat hair stuck at the sensor that moves around a bit with static electricity when you move the mouse around.

A hair or bad surface would not affect they keyboard. This also was with 2 different sets, a logitech and a microsoft.

The glitching with the wired mouse is very slight, nothing like with the wireless one where it had a mind of it's own, this one just starts and stops slightly. For instance if I make big circles on the screen with my cursor, maybe every 10 times it stops for a millisecond and then starts going again. Totally livable, but the wireless became unusable at times.

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
Sounds like a software conflict vying for IRQs.

Ensure that all old Logitech software has been removed (since you are not using it). This software has been known to interfere with other HIDs.

You will want to start disabling stuff in the equivalent of configsys. (This is made for such purpose; ie, diagnosis.)

Run your "Resource Monitor" for insight as to what might be happening. Look in "Task Manager" for process resource use. You can disable processes there too.

I'm gonna work on that today. I've uninstalled all the logitech software, although that wouldn't explain why the Logitech key/mouse set had the same problem as this one, and I'm gonna try using it again.

By resource monitor, do you mean task manager? I see nothing running in task manager suspicious except two things, Itype.exe and Ipoint.exe.

I googled both and some links say it's linked to Microsoft intellimouse and intelikeyboard (which I don't have, I have wireless key/mouse 2000), other links say it's a virus that causes computer problems. Anyone know anything about it?

I'm running Windows Defender and Malwarebytes free version and update and run weekly.

Last edited:

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
So not the wired mouse is glitching more and more, like when I go to click something I miss because it stopped before I clicked then started again. So I figured why should I even bother trying the wireless mouse if I can't even get the wired mouse to work right.

I'm baffled, what could possibly cause a wired mouse to glitch? I'd like to mention I never remember this happening before I bought a wireless key/mouse, I simply did it to get rid of some wires under my desk.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
So now it is afflicting both wireless and wired mice. That suggests that it is something common to both. Have you gone into Control Panel and clicked on MOUSE? There are many settings there as well as pages of settings. It would not hurt to review them all. Pay close attention to any setting involving ACCELERATION.

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
So now it is afflicting both wireless and wired mice. That suggests that it is something common to both. Have you gone into Control Panel and clicked on MOUSE? There are many settings there as well as pages of settings. It would not hurt to review them all. Pay close attention to any setting involving ACCELERATION.

Umm...yeah. What exactly would acceleration settings under mouse have to do with mouse and keyboard glitching and freezing??? Nothing.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Did you test different USB ports? As I mentioned, the black ones one the back would be best.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
If you are using USB port for your mouse, on some computers, using a Motherboard USB port, as opposed to one on an expansion card, will work better. Worth a shot.

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
I mentioned in my original post that I have tried other usb ports including the front case ports which I am using right now with the wired mouse.

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions, I guess I"m just going to have to nix the wireless idea and live with a glitchy wired mouse.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I mentioned in my original post that I have tried other usb ports including the front case ports which I am using right now with the wired mouse.
Good. Whenever a board has more than one USB controller, I like to try them all to make sure one isn't the source of my issue. It sure does sound like wireless interference, which is a shame on an otherwise nice little box.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Old thread is old, but there are a couple of other things to try, for anyone that lands here searching for help with the issue. First is to disconnect the HD dock and see if the issue persists. It is possible problems like the bus being saturated, crosstalk, or some other problem with the board or controllers is causing the issue.

Another suggestion is more of a time is money solution. When an issue like this crops up and the troubleshoot is starting to get deep, cut your losses. Make sure everything is backed up (should be SOP anyways) and do a fresh, clean, install. If it persists, it is most likely a hardware failure. A add in PCIe USB controller card might resolve the issue.