Question Wireless keyboard/mouse combo recommendation

skaertus

Mar 20, 2010
I have a PC desktop and I would ideally have a decent keyboard/mouse wireless combo to use it.

I was using a Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2 with green switches as my keyboard, together with a Razer mouse. This "combo" was good, but it had its issues. The mechanical keyboard is satisfying to type, but only to a certain point. The keys are tall, and my table is not particularly ergonomic, so my hands feel tired after a long session of typing. Prior to that, I tried some other mechanical keyboards, from Corsair, Logitech, Redragon, and other manufacturers. The Logitech G513 was pretty good, but it started chattering shortly after I bought it. I also had problems with the mechanical keys in other keyboards, much earlier than I ever had with membrane models.

I literally spent a fortune buying more than 10 mechanical keyboards, which are supposed to be the holy grail of keyboards. But they did not provide a very satisfying experience after all. Plus, they are big and come with thick cables that add clutter to the desktop. I found out that a chiclet-type keyboard, with low but perceptible travel, such as those found in high-end laptops, is far more pleasing for me.

So, I recently bought a Microsoft Desktop 900 and it indeed provides a good typing feel. Plus, it is small and wireless, which eliminates clutter. But I am having connection issues. The keyboard randomly stops working, and the mouse sometimes seems to have trouble connecting. I am not sure if my model is defective, but I read several forum posts complaining of similar issues.

I am thinking of returning the Desktop 900 and trying something else. I would like some recommendations on which keyboard/mouse combo I could try instead. Microsoft has a Designer Bluetooth Desktop, which costs more than double the price, but I am afraid it might have similar (or even worse) connection issues.

Two additional remarks. First, I am in Brazil, and the availability of keyboards is limited. We are pretty much tied to Microsoft, Logitech, Dell, and some local manufacturers. Second, I would not like to spend a fortune on a new keyboard, especially after forking so much money in trying several mechanical keyboards.

Any recommendations?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Many connection issues can be solved by putting the receiver on a cord (or USB hub) instead of directly plugged into a port on a big hunk of RF-blocking metal (the computer case).

Doing this, I've not had any connection issues but I almost exclusively buy budget grade logitech keyboards.

You can some times get rid of chatter by taking the keyboard shell apart and spraying the backs of the key holes with dry silicone, moving them up and down to work it in. Depends on how it's designed. That might work for the mechanical switches themselves too but I wouldn't use much on the switch plungers.

skaertus

Mar 20, 2010
Many connection issues can be solved by putting the receiver on a cord (or USB hub) instead of directly plugged into a port on a big hunk of RF-blocking metal (the computer case).

Doing this, I've not had any connection issues but I almost exclusively buy budget grade logitech keyboards.

You can some times get rid of chatter by taking the keyboard shell apart and spraying the backs of the key holes with dry silicone, moving them up and down to work it in. Depends on how it's designed. That might work for the mechanical switches themselves too but I wouldn't use much on the switch plungers.

Thanks.

I may try that. I have tried putting the receiver in different USB connections, either 3.0 and 3.1, and it did not work. Perhaps I give it a last try.

As for chattering, I may try that as well. My mechanical keyboard is pretty new and already chattering, which is not a good sign. I would not have bought it if I had known I would have to provide such maintenance.

Enviado de meu M2012K11AG usando o Tapatalk

skaertus

Mar 20, 2010
I took a look at several keyboards and I am leaning towards the Logitech MX Keys, which seems to be generally regarded as the best one around. Any experiences with it?

I also read in another forum that the Logitech MK470 provides a very similar experience to the MX Keys. It lacks some of the features (it is USB-only, connects with one device at a time, and has no backlight); however, the typing feel may be very much similar. Anyone has used or tested both of them to confirm this?

Matt6VZ

Jan 3, 2023
Thanks for sharing your experiences and recommendations on finding the perfect keyboard/mouse combo! I can relate to trying out multiple mechanical keyboards and not finding one comfortable for long typing sessions. I ended up going with an infrared keyboard and found it to be the most comfortable. It's wireless and has a trackball that I can use instead of a mouse, which has made a big difference in my wrist and hand fatigue. I hope you are able to find a keyboard that works well for you, and thanks again for sharing your thoughts with the forum.

Last edited: