wireless headset for movies?

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
now that i have a baby, cant watch movies with speakers on.
using wired headsets plugged into the 3.5mm jack is fine. but then im too close to the screen. what are my wireless option under $100? and can it expand to 2 or 3 headsets for wife and guests to watch same time?
i dont need a mic on the headset. and stereo is fine, no need for fancy surround

Last edited:

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
hmm.. looks like the best solution is bluetooth usb adapter and then a stereo bluetooth headset. unfortunately, i cannot expand the number of headsets to accommodate others in the same room

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Those Power Acoustik HP-22IRT have some lousy reviews, and seem tailored towards a car audio system, not an HTPC.

I'm in the same boat, looking for a suitable wireless headset. I even was planning on pressing my Turtle Beach X42s into service for the task, using an SP/DIF switcher to toggle from the 5.1 speaker setup to headset as needed.

truckerCLOCK

Dec 13, 2011
Those Power Acoustik HP-22IRT have some lousy reviews, and seem tailored towards a car audio system, not an HTPC.

I'm in the same boat, looking for a suitable wireless headset. I even was planning on pressing my Turtle Beach X42s into service for the task, using an SP/DIF switcher to toggle from the 5.1 speaker setup to headset as needed.

The OP's budget is under $100. So don't expect miracles. I know you can connect up to 4, Sennheiser RS 180's to a single transmitter. With a $299 price A LOT out of the budget.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
now that i have a baby, cant watch movies with speakers on.
using wired headsets plugged into the 3.5mm jack is fine. but then im too close to the screen. what are my wireless option under $100? and can it expand to 2 or 3 headsets for wife and guests to watch same time?
i dont need a mic on the headset. and stereo is fine, no need for fancy surround
Why in the world would you want to spend $100+ for wireless headphones? You like buying batteries, or having to wait hours for recharge, between uses? For less than $10, including shipping, you and your boyfriend can listen to all of the television you want, from anywhere in the room that you desire.

Buy yourself an extremely cheap 3.5mm headphone splitter: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-23-3-...sr=8-1&keywords=3.5mm+headphone+jack+splitter and two 12 ft extension cables: http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Female-He...eywords=10+ft+3.5mm+headphone+extension+cable

el-Capitan

Apr 24, 2012
Why in the world would you want to spend $100+ for wireless headphones? You like buying batteries, or having to wait hours for recharge, between uses? For less than $10, including shipping, you and your boyfriend can listen to all of the television you want, from anywhere in the room that you desire.

Buy yourself an extremely cheap 3.5mm headphone splitter: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-23-3-...sr=8-1&keywords=3.5mm+headphone+jack+splitter and two 12 ft extension cables: http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Female-He...eywords=10+ft+3.5mm+headphone+extension+cable

This is the way to go.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Asking why someone wants wireless means you just don't 'get' why it is important. Batteries ?? Ever hear of Eneloops ?? I have 4 AAAs, bought for $10 from Costco (2 needed on my headset) so that 2 are always on the charger, and I get 17 hours per charge. Also, my X42s turn off after 6 minutes of no audio, so they are ideal for this purpose. I typically go for about 3 days between switching out the 2 AAA batteries on my headset.

12' extension cables:

1) don't reach my sofa, I watch TV from 13' away.
2) would get ruined by the two Boxers that sit with me on the sofa.
3) Don't allow me to hop off the sofa and walk around the room

All of the above are handled cleanly by a set of wireless headphones. Again, if you don't get the need for wireless, you clearly aren't in mine nor the OPs usage scenario.

The TB X42s can be found for around $50 used on Ebay or Amazon. Not that they are the end all be all for this purpose, but I own them, use them, and find they work for what OP needs.