Wireless extender or powerline adapter?

timoseewho

Jul 26, 2011
Hey, I'm looking to extend my current network to another part of the building. What would yall recommend between an extender and adapter? What are some gaping pros/cons?

Thanks

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Why can't you run Cat5e?

Neither of those choices are good as neither are guaranteed to work like running network cable.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
You definitely don't want to use APs in repeating mode if you care about any kind of throughput. Power line adapters are hit and miss. I'd never recommend them and have never used them.

Is this a run inside a building only or are you having to bridge any of the distance outside? If it's inside, one run of cat5e to 75 meters, add a switch to the middle, and then continue with the remaining 75 meters with another network cable.

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I've used both. Poweline will either work great or terribly. Start with it and make sure it's returnable. Much of it comes down to your particular electrical wiring setup, and it will never hit the same speeds as a good Wi-Fi connection, regardless of the speed rating you may see advertised.

I use a high end extender now. It's good, but must be placed in the sweet spot to work. You'll need an outlet halfway between your router and where you need signal. Also, it cuts speed in half due to physics of signal duplication. Using it with the same SSID will slow down your entire network. You need to be willing to set it to a different SSID.

The best models are from Linksys and Netgear and cost around $100. Cheap 802.11n models aren't worth bothering with. They aren't powerful enough.

I've tested three or four of each type of product, so I have a good handle on this stuff.

Last edited:

timoseewho

Jul 26, 2011
You definitely don't want to use APs in repeating mode if you care about any kind of throughput. Power line adapters are hit and miss. I'd never recommend them and have never used them.

Is this a run inside a building only or are you having to bridge any of the distance outside? If it's inside, one run of cat5e to 75 meters, add a switch to the middle, and then continue with the remaining 75 meters with another network cable.
this is kinda around buildings haha, but i think your setup involving a switch is what i may end up having to do. i was thinking more of the same thing, but with a powerline adapter instead

And you think wifi will? :biggrin: Get ethernet extender, then stick a wap at the end.

http://www.veracityglobal.com/products/ethernet-and-poe-devices/outreach-lite.aspx
yeaa lol, i have my doubts about an extender doing the job, but wanted to give the adapters a shot since they basically mimic the switch setup above but with a little less cables running around no?

timoseewho

Jul 26, 2011
I've used both. Poweline will either work great or terribly. Start with it and make sure it's returnable. Much of it comes down to your particular electrical wiring setup, and it will never hit the same speeds as a good Wi-Fi connection, regardless of the speed rating you may see advertised.

I use a high end extender now. It's good, but must be placed in the sweet spot to work. You'll need an outlet halfway between your router and where you need signal. Also, it cuts speed in half due to physics of signal duplication. Using it with the same SSID will slow down your entire network. You need to be willing to set it to a different SSID.

The best models are from Limksys and Netgear and cost around $100. Cheap 802.11n models aren't worth bothering with. They aren't powerful enough.

I've tested three or four of each type of product, so I have a good handle on this stuff.
thanks, i'm beginning to rule out powerline adapters lol

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
this is kinda around buildings haha, but i think your setup involving a switch is what i may end up having to do. i was thinking more of the same thing, but with a powerline adapter instead

yeaa lol, i have my doubts about an extender doing the job, but wanted to give the adapters a shot since they basically mimic the switch setup above but with a little less cables running around no?

Powerline and moca are more last resort things. Wired repeater is your best bet. Just make sure you get a gigabit full duplex one. I just linked the fisrt one google returned.

timoseewho

Jul 26, 2011
Powerline and moca are more last resort things. Wired repeater is your best bet. Just make sure you get a gigabit full duplex one. I just linked the fisrt one google returned.
i'm embarrassed to say that i had no idea moca's existed, catchy name though

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I have power line adapters to my room. Plug it in one outlet and the Internet is about 10 Meg down. Plug it into another outlet and the Internet is 25mb down. No idea why that is, but needles to say I have it plugged into the socket that gets 25 mb.